Allen Town - This week's Fan article in BuffNews

Kelly the Dog

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Missing a guy by 10 yards for a TD is a very very big deal, it doesnt resonate since we won by two TDs but that is not the type of thing a starting NFL QB should do.

It happens to all QB's.. stop dining on the few negatives when there is a bakers dozen of positives

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Paradoxically (or is it ironically???), he getting hurt last year and forced to sit out a number of games gave him time to study the offense and be more prepared when he played at the end of the season. That set the stage for him to better work on his game in the offseason and in camp. Also, having Barkley and Derek Anderson last year as mentor showed him how to properly prepare for games. 

There are a lot of ingredients that go into developing a qb. The biggest accelerant in that process is having a good OL. It's tough to learn when you are constantly under siege. If you are going to invest in a qb and want to get a better and quicker return you need to have a credible line in front of him. And that's exactly what this organization focused on this offseason. 

Definitely wouldn’t script a season like that for a known rookie project at QB. The team tried not to play him.

But they did and he learned so much more from being thrown to the wolves. Not a preferred tactic, but it worked tremendously. No way he’d be this far along -with much yet to learn and improve on- if he didn’t play last year.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Definitely wouldn’t script a season like that for a known rookie project at QB. The team tried not to play him.

But they did and he learned so much more from being thrown to the wolves. Not a preferred tactic, but it worked tremendously. No way he’d be this far along -with much yet to learn and improve on- if he didn’t play last year.

The point of my prior posts was that because he got hurt after out of necessity being thrust on to the field that break before getting back again in worked out in his favor from a developmental standpoint. When he then played he was better prepared than when he played before getting hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

K’mon, Zayward & Foster Home, CLASSIC!?

Great job, @Kelly the Dog!

Kind of surprised they didn't edit that out. It's cool they basically let me say whatever I want, even if it gets a little dicey. ;)

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Myself and a few others were rabid anti-Petermans from the get-go. I thought and often said here that they should start Josh day one, even if it was an almost impossible task. I think he would be even further along than he is now if they did that, but it's impossible to know.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

good write up but a bit over the top homerish, how about this line, "Allen missed John Brown by 10 yards on a bomb and sure TD in the second quarter. So what? " So what?  Missing a guy by 10 yards for a TD is a very very big deal, it doesnt resonate since we won by two TDs but that is not the type of thing a starting NFL QB should do.

It wasn't 10 , it was closer to 5 and NFL QBs miss those throws all the time completing them less than 25% of the attempts.  That one was mistimed by about .5 sec.

At some point during the offseason, in the midst of the SuperCade story, the team dinners in CA, the welcoming phone calls to his newest teammates, the Mothers Day event at the Japanese steakhouse, the autographs at SJF including the one for the kid with the Dolphins jersey and all the other public interactions he's made, I commented that Josh Allen has been getting really good at being Josh.  He seems comfortable in every situation.  I hope it stays the way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

At some point during the offseason, in the midst of the SuperCade story, the team dinners in CA, the welcoming phone calls to his newest teammates, the Mothers Day event at the Japanese steakhouse, the autographs at SJF including the one for the kid with the Dolphins jersey and all the other public interactions he's made, I commented that Josh Allen has been getting really good at being Josh.  He seems comfortable in every situation.  I hope it stays the way.

He's on an incredible being Josh hot streak. It seems awful genuine, he comes from those roots, and nothing has been handed to him. I would be pretty shocked if it didn't last.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

He's on an incredible being Josh hot streak. It seems awful genuine, he comes from those roots, and nothing has been handed to him. I would be pretty shocked if it didn't last.

The challenge is when expectations are not met.  JK had a tough time with that.  It's ego, accepting criticsim even when it's misguided, facing the public and your teammates when you screwup in a big moment, interacting with a hostile, at times, press.  Whether he succeeds at "Franchise QB" or not, he is the same person whether he gets viewed in a different way by the public or not.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, finn said:

Loved it at first since much of it is accurate and hasn't been said enough. But then the writer started sanctifying him the way ESPN does Brady every chance it gets. A bit nauseating. 

It’s.  A.  Fan.  Column.

KtD is a fan.  Like many of us, a bit over the top each way sometimes - too positive, or too negative

That goes with the territory of being a fan

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

The point of my prior posts was that because he got hurt after out of necessity being thrust on to the field that break before getting back again in worked out in his favor from a developmental standpoint. When he then played he was better prepared than when he played before getting hurt. 

Yeah, it was total serendipity - but for Allen, it worked out really well

1) he played enough to see some success, but also to get that “Welcome to the NFL, Rookie!” message from opposing teams

2) just while he was thinking “yoiks, lots to learn here!”he was forced to sit, watch and learn

3) he got to test his new learnings at the end of the season by playing some more

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Real McCoy said:

Just thank God he played for Wyoming or we never would have sniffed him!

May have to rock an Allen 17 at Jackson Hole... the question is, royal, color rush, or Cowboy brown

16 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I hope you had vindaloo for lunch when it happens.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1