The Monday Night Football schedule is hot garbage

Dablitzkrieg

I understand the NFL tries putting "premier" teams into the primetime slots.  

But too much changes from year to year, and they end up with half the games being terrible anyway.

Two weeks in, and any game from the Colts, Steelers or Saints is likely to be a stinker, simply because of QB injuries.

With Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night, they should just evenly divide the primetime slots among all 32 teams.

Every team gets one of each.  Three primetime games per franchise.

It gives each team some nationwide exposure and removes the NFL from playing favorites.  And based on what we've already got, the games should be just as entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, row_33 said:

the online streaming site DAZN has snaked away all the good soccer games from Canada, and took away the NFL Direct TV package for a few months.

has to happen soon in the US, Amazon and its ilk could offer 3 times the current package and laugh and put it all online and require personal information from you to watch.

If Netflix had any brains, they would go HAAAARD After buying the exclusive NFL Rights for streaming.  They're pumping crazy money into development of content and they're still losing market share every month.

They have had negative cash flow in the billions going back to 2014, as they have been reinvesting their profits AND borrow billions to try and create unique content.  Yet at the same time people keep cancelling as CBS & Disney yank their properties off Netflix to put them on their own services.  Netflix is getting squeezed out of the market place they essentially proved could be highly profitable.  If they want to buy content that will blow up their subscriptions as well as ensure long term revenue through advertising etc.... buy the NFL slate, or half of it...

The thing I see as a worry is the NFL won't necessarily want to get in bed with a company that losing market share and could go under or get bought out mid-way through a new TV contract.  Also parting out games to Hulu (Or ESPN+ which ever Disney decides to try and buy games for), Prime, CBS, NBC Sports, Netflix in bundles would probably make them more money than selling off huge blocks.

It's certainly going to be interesting.  The NFL really needs to be sure they put their product in a place where the most people can see it, otherwise they're hurting themselves, but at the same time they need to maximize their dollars since whoever buys the rights are going to make crazy money and market the ***** out of it!

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Steelers Bengals might surprise you. Game won’t have playoff implications but it should be close. 

if you don't have any $$$ interest in the score or stats, or are not a real fan of the teams, you will be committed for watching this game

40 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Why are the giants on twice?  Who predicted they would be good??

the NFC East is the darling of the ad-men and the viewing demographics

i don't get it...

43 minutes ago, MR8 said:

If Netflix had any brains, they would go HAAAARD After buying the exclusive NFL Rights for streaming.  They're pumping crazy money into development of content and they're still losing market share every month.

It's certainly going to be interesting.  The NFL really needs to be sure they put their product in a place where the most people can see it, otherwise they're hurting themselves, but at the same time they need to maximize their dollars since whoever buys the rights are going to make crazy money and market the ***** out of it!

a few hot takes have Amazon (or its ilk) offering free access for all the NFL games provided you freely do surveys upon request (just once in awhile)

the NFL has the advantage that gambling is still big for its fans and you can always sit down and watch football at your whim and pick up the context immediately

and it's a fully ingrained habit/addiction for fans to simply keep watching, including most of the playoffs, which baseball and the other sports can't even dream of gaining

Edited by row_33

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

if you don't have any $$$ interest in the score or stats, or are not a real fan of the teams, you will be committed for watching this game

the NFC East is the darling of the ad-men and the viewing demographics

i don't get it...

a few hot takes have Amazon (or its ilk) offering free access for all the NFL games provided you freely do surveys upon request (just once in awhile)

the NFL has the advantage that gambling is still big for its fans and you can always sit down and watch football at your whim and pick up the context immediately

and it's a fully ingrained habit/addiction for fans to simply keep watching, including most of the playoffs, which baseball and the other sports can't even dream of gaining

yeah the spread of legalized gambling combined with the popularity of fantasy football is going to be huge for the NFL.

I think free access for surveys IE quid pro quo is a good way to play it for the groups like Amazon... it;s something they can capitalize on but others like Netflix cannot.  They could sell the info but they can't use it... Amazon can use it to bolster it's own business AND Sell it...  But it also puts the NFL product into the market for free where the others would be limiting... something the NFL seems to be trying to get away from.

Very interesting I didn't read that part about surveys for "free" viewing.  That makes Youtube another viable place too for buying NFL games.  They can use the surveys across the other Google owned products etc. 

39 minutes ago, MR8 said:

yeah the spread of legalized gambling combined with the popularity of fantasy football is going to be huge for the NFL.

I think free access for surveys IE quid pro quo is a good way to play it for the groups like Amazon... it;s something they can capitalize on but others like Netflix cannot.  They could sell the info but they can't use it... Amazon can use it to bolster it's own business AND Sell it...  But it also puts the NFL product into the market for free where the others would be limiting... something the NFL seems to be trying to get away from.

Very interesting I didn't read that part about surveys for "free" viewing.  That makes Youtube another viable place too for buying NFL games.  They can use the surveys across the other Google owned products etc. 

just conjecture about collecting data from viewers, which is a big deal to Amazon & Friends.

i'm sort of braced for losing cable viewing any day now for any sports event i used to enjoy.....  :(

Eh.  It's something to do on an otherwise uneventful Monday evening. 

I can handle watching less-than-stellar football.  There's always something to root for. 

The only thing that makes it truly crappy is Booger.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

just conjecture about collecting data from viewers, which is a big deal to Amazon & Friends.

i'm sort of braced for losing cable viewing any day now for any sports event i used to enjoy.....  :(

I haven't had cable for 4 years now.  It was really hard at first not getting Sabres games (as there is no alternative for cord cutters who live "In market").  But you get used to it... I don't get Thursday Night Football unless it's one of the ones on Prime, but those games suck anyways and again, you get used to it and do other things with your time.

It does suck, but these sports leagues are losing money from this stuff because people like me just stop paying attention.  I was a Sabres Season Ticket Holder a few years ago, I now couldn't name more than 4 people on the team.  The Tank combined with the NHL making it impossible to watch in market (Center Ice blacks out "local Games" and MSG doesn't have streaming rights for Sabres games because Center Ice Does. Plus TSN streams but not in Buffalo because it's "locally blacked out") games without buying cable basically took the entire product away from me.  Because of that I lost all interest.  I emailed the Sabres 4 different times complaining and got no response, so it just showed me they don't care... so why should I?

11 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I haven't had cable for 4 years now.  It was really hard at first not getting Sabres games (as there is no alternative for cord cutters who live "In market").  But you get used to it... I don't get Thursday Night Football unless it's one of the ones on Prime, but those games suck anyways and again, you get used to it and do other things with your time.

It does suck, but these sports leagues are losing money from this stuff because people like me just stop paying attention.  I was a Sabres Season Ticket Holder a few years ago, I now couldn't name more than 4 people on the team.  The Tank combined with the NHL making it impossible to watch in market (Center Ice blacks out "local Games" and MSG doesn't have streaming rights for Sabres games because Center Ice Does. Plus TSN streams but not in Buffalo because it's "locally blacked out") games without buying cable basically took the entire product away from me.  Because of that I lost all interest.  I emailed the Sabres 4 different times complaining and got no response, so it just showed me they don't care... so why should I?

I'm slicing back on watching things anyways, finishing off a Masters Degree by the end of next summer, it hurt losing every important soccer game to an online streaming company but that's life.