The Monday Night Football schedule is hot garbage

Dablitzkrieg

The NFL REALLY needs to stop putting the Giants in prime time slots.  I get that NYC is a big market, but they make for an absolutely s*** product on the field.  The two Steelers games, the two Giants games, the Redskins game, and the Pats/Jets games are all going to be horrible.  The rest...could actually be pretty darn entertaining.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Since the Sunday night game went to NBC the Monday Night schedule has failed to get the big time matchups. When Monday Night football was on ABC the slate of games were A level while the Sunday night game on ESPN was not always that great of a game. But now that NBC picked up the Sunday game it's the A game of the week. 

because they can cherry pick the best game that week?

17 minutes ago, Haplo848 said:

The NFL REALLY needs to stop putting the Giants in prime time slots.  I get that NYC is a big market, but they make for an absolutely s*** product on the field.  The two Steelers games, the two Giants games, the Redskins game, and the Pats/Jets games are all going to be horrible.  The rest...could actually be pretty darn entertaining.

the NFC East is the sugarbaby goldenboy division of the NFL

i don't get it either.

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

The new TV contracts that come into play following the next CBA are going to get very interesting.  The NFL is already testing the waters with different streaming services, and I bet they are going to try and spread out the games more to different networks to make sure their product is more readily available.  Forcing people to need ESPN to watch what is supposed to be your MARQUEE game slate is just plain STUPID.... but putting it on NBC makes a whole hell of a lot of sense because anyone can watch it... same with CBS & Fox.... ABC doesn't want it since it's also owned by Disney and they've made a concerted effort to move all sports over to their ESPN division. 

Streaming rights and an end to the "Sunday Ticket" exclusivity contract that has been rumored is going to give the NFL the ability to have content Bidding Wars... it's going to be VERY lucrative in an ever intensifying "Content war" with the media conglomerates...  Netflix and Prime are going to bend over backwards to shove NFL content onto their service.... Prime already has some of the Thursday night slate.  CBS All Access will want the games that are one CBS, Disney will want the games that are on FOX to be put on the Hulu platform, and NBC is slated to launch it's own streaming service in 2022... so they will want more content there like they have Sunday Night Football on the NBC Sports app.

Sorry got off on a huge tangent, but my fundamental point is the NFL is trying to put the best games in places where the MOST PEOPLE can see them... which is why Monday Night Football has gone WAAAAAY down since moving off broadcast TV and over to ESPN.  Which is smart of them to keep the best games in places where the most people can see them, but its also stupid because those are supposed to be their "Marquee games" and they're making their ratings look like *****.

the online streaming site DAZN has snaked away all the good soccer games from Canada, and took away the NFL Direct TV package for a few months.

has to happen soon in the US, Amazon and its ilk could offer 3 times the current package and laugh and put it all online and require personal information from you to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Monday has become the 4th tier of NFL games.  

1st - Premier - Sunday night

2nd - Thursday Night

3rd - Premier 4 OClock game(s)

4th - MNF

5th - 1 O'Clock trash heap

I would rank MNF ahead of TNF most weeks.

Thursday games are usually horrible.

But Monday night games are nothing special either.  

The only reliable slot most weeks is Sunday night on NBC.  

They seem to get the pick of the league schedule each week.

4 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Interesting take. :thumbsup:

I, too, can do without Monday/Thursday games. I never considered a Saturday night. I'd love that actually.

Only Thursday night games should be opening night, Thanksgiving and if you want the Thursday after Thanksgiving for a couple of teams who played Thanksgiving.  You can only do Saturdays after college football ends.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

They can't do Saturday until college football season is over. Has something to do with their the anti-trust exemption.

Oh, I'm sure it would not or could it ever be a reality, but I sure do like the idea.

My Saturday night slate seems to be open from now until I kick. And I'm ok with this. ?

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

that was a good thing

they pretend MNF was the most important event in the history of the world, cripes we only had 4 channels to watch, and nobody wanted to hear Howard ramble or Don goof around

MNF will always get an up vote from me simply for showing the Houston Oiler fan flipping the bird to the camera as the Oilers were getting blown out.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would rank MNF ahead of TNF most weeks.

Thursday games are usually horrible.

But Monday night games are nothing special either.  

The only reliable slot most weeks is Sunday night on NBC.  

They seem to get the pick of the league schedule each week.

I think they ratcheted up the tnf games last year when the deal changed.  Jacksonville/Tennessee is interesting.  Then eagles packers, then rams seahawks.

Contrast that bears redskins, bengals, steelers, and browns 49ers. 

Im in the minority of nfl fans who love tnf.  It makes for a long football weekend.  Usually have an interesting ncaa game friday, saturday, like 14 hours of ncaa, sunday nfl, then mnf.  Tuesday-Wednesday breather, then its already thursday again.  Its also another game we get to watch instead of being buried on sunday afternoon

• Like (+1) 2

ESPN needs to use the old Sunday Night Football crew for their Monday Night games. Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul McGuire. Paul McGuire is probably in his 80's by now but man, Mike Patrick used to make even the most boring and uninteresting games exciting back in the day during those Sunday Night games

4 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

They can't do Saturday until college football season is over. Has something to do with their the anti-trust exemption.

Interesting, I always thought the NFL was just being considerate of college football since they basically run a free farm system for the NFL. I'd like to learn more about this clause if it is part of their anti-trust exemption.