The Monday Night Football schedule is hot garbage

Dablitzkrieg

16 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

If that's the reasoning behind these match-ups, I'm strangely comfortable with it. 

it's been a dog the whole ESPN contract

actually MNF was 98% hype and pretending since day one

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

For this old guy, MNF half time used to be the ONLY time I could get the 5 seconds of Buffalo Bills highlights for the week.  They were rarely on on the West Coast.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsWest said:

For this old guy, MNF half time used to be the ONLY time I could get the 5 seconds of Buffalo Bills highlights for the week.  They were rarely on on the West Coast.

that was a good thing

they pretend MNF was the most important event in the history of the world, cripes we only had 4 channels to watch, and nobody wanted to hear Howard ramble or Don goof around

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

should start flexing MNF, or designating the 1/2 half of MNF games after the first 5 games or so.  

And how would you like to be that fan who bought tickets, flight and hotel for a game on Sunday and two weeks before, have the game moved to Monday?

That scenario was discussed when the NFL first looked into flexing games to Sunday/Monday nights...and thankfully, they came to their senses and left Monday alone.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Since the Sunday night game went to NBC the Monday Night schedule has failed to get the big time matchups. When Monday Night football was on ABC the slate of games were A level while the Sunday night game on ESPN was not always that great of a game. But now that NBC picked up the Sunday game it's the A game of the week. 

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Lj0jojjojojoioj0jiiooiooiuuo9mNot only do the teams playing suck the announcers are horrible I could only take it for about 5 minutes had to turn the channel. Not sure who they were but they were so annoying.

How can you not like Joe Tessitore.  I put right up there with Kevin Harlan, Gus Johnson & Ian Eagle as top play by play guys.  

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

it's been a dog the whole ESPN contract

When it was an "Institution" and on broadcast it was must see TV because it was readily available to the masses.  It was the last chance to see football until next Sunday... now they have games on Thursday so it's not as big a deal.  Plus in our 24 hour news cycle and information straight to the palm of our hand, we don't feel ANY lag from being away from Football news etc...

Moving it to ESPN was a death knell because it took the product away from people who could watch it without cable, which stripped the NFL of featuring the best games and drumming up more sponsors etc.  It's just as bad as Thursday Night being on NFL Network, but since they own that abomination of a network they pretend it's not a massive failure... but it is...

The new TV contracts that come into play following the next CBA are going to get very interesting.  The NFL is already testing the waters with different streaming services, and I bet they are going to try and spread out the games more to different networks to make sure their product is more readily available.  Forcing people to need ESPN to watch what is supposed to be your MARQUEE game slate is just plain STUPID.... but putting it on NBC makes a whole hell of a lot of sense because anyone can watch it... same with CBS & Fox.... ABC doesn't want it since it's also owned by Disney and they've made a concerted effort to move all sports over to their ESPN division. 

Streaming rights and an end to the "Sunday Ticket" exclusivity contract that has been rumored is going to give the NFL the ability to have content Bidding Wars... it's going to be VERY lucrative in an ever intensifying "Content war" with the media conglomerates...  Netflix and Prime are going to bend over backwards to shove NFL content onto their service.... Prime already has some of the Thursday night slate.  CBS All Access will want the games that are one CBS, Disney will want the games that are on FOX to be put on the Hulu platform, and NBC is slated to launch it's own streaming service in 2022... so they will want more content there like they have Sunday Night Football on the NBC Sports app.

Sorry got off on a huge tangent, but my fundamental point is the NFL is trying to put the best games in places where the MOST PEOPLE can see them... which is why Monday Night Football has gone WAAAAAY down since moving off broadcast TV and over to ESPN.  Which is smart of them to keep the best games in places where the most people can see them, but its also stupid because those are supposed to be their "Marquee games" and they're making their ratings look like *****.

• Like (+1) 2