Isn't it a weird feeling to observe the incompetence of other teams from the POV of rooting for a competent team?

Logic

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Logic, I had to resurrect this.  

I was watching Titans-Jags, and they just LOOKED different from the Bills.  Granted, Mariota was in trouble most of the night, because his protection looked like the Bills' pass protection last season.   And both teams were playing some quality, attacking defense.  But it looked different. 

Eventually, I realized that the difference is that the Bills EXECUTE, all of them EXECUTE, on every play.  The Titans and Jags had too many plays where they just flat out blew their assignments - dropped passes, poorly thrown passes, missed tackles.   Often, the success they had was based some really good athlete  making a really good play, but then it was followed by a really good athlete missing an ordinary play.   The Bills don't miss many ordinary plays.   The Jags and Titans often had looks of frustration on their faces, frustration that something didn't work.   The Bills rarely look frustrated, just determined.  

I think the Bills are fundamentally different from a lot of other teams, not just the bottom five or eight.   They're working in a culture where everyone executes, and as the talent improves, the quality of the play will improve.   

It's exciting.  

As exciting as it is, I would love to see the same excitement for Sabres hockey. They seem to be on the right track and some reason most seem to not like hockey. 

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Because the team blows?

They have but the new GM has then on the right track and should be better this season. Its going to be a slow build like the Bills have been. I am guessing you only look at the box score and haven't seen some of the moves they made this off season. 

Edited by Jrb1979

On 9/17/2019 at 11:25 AM, Logic said:

Looking around the NFL, I see stunning amounts of front office and team building incompetence. 

The Jets letting a Pro Bowl kicker go despite having plenty of money to sign them, then losing a game due to bad kicking and already being on the FOURTH kicker of the season by week 3. Also not putting good protection in front of Darnold and having to talk Ryan Kalil out of retirement. They also paid infinity dollars to an off-ball linebacker and a running back and a corner that they just benched.

The Browns ALSO failing to put good protection in front of Baker Mayfield, who now looks like he may be pulverized into dust before he can set the league on fire.

The Giants just...well...there's too much to even list.

The Dolphins tanking in such an obvious way that even good, young, recently drafted players like Minkah Fitzpatrick want out. 

There has always been this level of incompetence in the NFL, of course. The difference now is that, for years, the Bills were near the top of the "stumbling, bumbling" incompetence list. As a fan of the Bills, I never really had room to talk about OTHER teams' bad decisions. Now? I sit back, confident in the fact that my favorite team finally has stability, a GM and head coach that are on the same page, and a clear direction. I look at the awesome offensive line that this front office has built for Josh Allen, the targets they've gotten him, the purposeful building of the defense, the smart free agency spending, the culture...just about everything. I'm not used to looking at chaos and stupidity around the league and thinking "not MY team". This is new. 

I could get used to this.

Competent? You must be joking.  Duke Williams is lighting it up, in practice, and he hasn’t been activated. You call that competence?

20 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

They have but the new GM has then on the right track and should be better this season. Its going to be a slow build like the Bills have been. I am guessing you only look at the box score and haven't seen some of the moves they made this off season. 

No, I don't follow hockey off-season nonsense.

Or the minors. I watch the games until they're eliminated in November.

36 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Leafs signed Marner for a reasonable amount, that should warm the cockles of your heart

34 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I could say the same about Bills off-season nonsense. Having a pre training camp training camp in May is dumb. The Sabres made some good moves this off season and should be a much better team. It will be the Sabres 50th season next year and yet most Bills fans in Buffalo could care less. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

I could say the same about Bills off-season nonsense. Having a pre training camp training camp in May is dumb. The Sabres made some good moves this off season and should be a much better team. It will be the Sabres 50th season next year and yet most Bills fans in Buffalo could care less. 

Because, again, they've been the worst team in the NHL for the past decade.

Just horrible. Tell me about these improvements that may push them into average territory.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Just horrible. Tell me about these improvements that may push them into average territory.

The Bills haven't been great either in that time frame. They added a couple of new players, one of which played for the Bruins. They should challenge for a playoff spot but fall short like the Bills this season. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

The Bills haven't been great either in that time frame. They added a couple of new players, one of which played for the Bruins. They should challenge for a playoff spot but fall short like the Bills this season. 

Bills aren't falling short this season, and THAT is why Bills fans don't give a damn about the Sabres.

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Leafs signed Marner for a reasonable amount, that should warm the cockles of your heart

“Reasonable amount” —> more than Eichel

leafs are so cap limited they are not going to be able to carry more players than can dress for a game ( no healthy scratches )

3 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

“Reasonable amount” —> more than Eichel

leafs are so cap limited they are not going to be able to carry more players than can dress for a game ( no healthy scratches )

there was talk he wanted more than than the two stars, i was expecting a long and drawn out negotiation

missed the signing announcement, too much work that week.

the haters all have spreadsheets about $$-troubles coming 3 years from now.... rock on....

On 9/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, nedboy7 said:

Well then I think it’s best not to put too much into these 2 road games against 2 incompetent franchises.  Let’s see how we do against the evil empire.  

I think that is one of the points.  We didnt mess up those games.  One of which people seem to forget wasnt suppose to be a W.  Currently the Jets are a mess but they are a better team with Darnold.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, Limeaid said:

Yeah the idiots calling the coach McClappy and McBeane!

oooops!

I happen to like McBeane. 

On 9/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

First of all Miami might look incompetent but tanking appears to be their plan and if so, they are accomplishing that quite well.

As far as Kelly-Allen,  yes Allen is more athletic but Kelly was very very football smart, quick decisions making , i don't think Allen currently comes close to Kelly in this regard but might come with time.  Kelly for his team was accurate enough in today's league you have to be  a lot more accurate than Kelly was so Allen needs to improve. I will agree Allen has a better work ethic and is probably more coach-able.  One characteristic they both share is they are great leaders and are fearless, they are not afraid to make a mistake.  they come back and they wi l reload and try again, not go into a shell.

Well in this league you cant cheap shot or even legal shot the QB and cant hammer a WR from behind as soon as he touches the ball.

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I guess your slavish devotion to, and rigorous defense of, all things Buffalo Bills doesn't extend to the Sabres, huh?

Why one but not the other?

Since the Bills last won a playoff game, the Sabres have won eleven playoff series.  

That's 44 games.

Which franchise sucks again?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I guess your slavish devotion to, and rigorous defense of, all things Buffalo Bills doesn't extend to the Sabres, huh?

Why one but not the other?

Since the Bills last won a playoff game, the Sabres have won eleven playoff series.  

That's 44 games.

Which franchise sucks again?

Bruh, I’ve followed Joe for many moons, and you can hardly use the term “slavish” with a straight face—he’s called out the FO for some FA decisions as well as on draft day (on record for wanting #1 marquee WR that we never got), and has had plenty to poo poo about certain Bills alumni along the way. Just sayin’. I find his acerbic wit and analysis mostly spot on, but that’s just me. 

BTW, I also enjoy reading many of your takes on the Bills that are often well thought out even if I disagree with ultimate conclusions just as often, FWIW. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, Warcodered said:

I'm guessing he's talking about the Peterman thing.

large.2E7CBDDD-2E63-4CBE-9EE0-EBAD3F9822FA.gif.bad5a47e7c2d8539a0135c768e9ac84a.gif

On 9/18/2019 at 9:58 PM, GunnerBill said:

Gase could have the greatest offensive schemes known to man (Newsflash - he doesn't) and he would still be a bad Head Coach because he doesn't have the personality required for the job. I said it about him within about 4 weeks of seeing him in his first HC gig in Miami. I maintained it even when they had the slightly flukey playoff season, and when his tenure went south and it applies just the same now. I still don't quite know what sort of hiring process the Jets could have run to end up saying "yea, this is our guy." There are at least half a dozen coordinators out there working in the NFL who I would have hired before him without even getting into other retreads or college coaches. 

large.C1049701-2461-4A69-BED0-863599FAA380.gif.6ade847767a2a9b691b7e9ed7f864122.gif