Isn't it a weird feeling to observe the incompetence of other teams from the POV of rooting for a competent team?

Logic

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Owning mistakes is not something that Gase is inclined to do..............contrary to some belief around here McBeane have made egregious errors.........but they've admitted them and even apologized to the locker room in the case of Peterman and that gives players at least a sense that things CAN get better and makes them less inclined to quit when faced with adversity,  IMO.    That's a time buyer for a regime.     That's where Gase is really in trouble, IMO.    Chan Gailey was kind of a passive aggressive blamer of players and that really hurt him here(all of his stops, IMO)..........Gase is willing to flat out point fingers.    That does nobody any good.

McD is at the point where it's important to have a game where they actually challenge the Patriots though.......where he isn't out game planned and out game day'd...........because there really is no excuse for the manner in which they've played in 4 games against a divisional opponent.    Even Bowles and Gase have had games where they either won or had the Pats on the ropes. 

Not to beat the drum too hard on my other thread. But admitting and growing from mistakes is the hallmark of the Growth Mindset.

Edited by foreboding
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2019 at 1:00 PM, TheBrownBear said:

Well, our own front office and coaching staff looked pretty damn terrible/pathetic at this time last year, so I'm not going to pass judgment on any of the other rebuilds just yet.

Yeah, I was going to say it has been over a year since the Peterman debacle so it’s time to move on. Then I remembered the Texans game. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

it was a one score game going into the 4th with Derek friggin Anderson at qb on MNF last year. they'll be fine going forward....

and I would hope after they make the playoffs this season for the 2nd time in 3 years you would quit with all this crap..... but we both know you wont.

I'm always going to be about winning the Super Bowl.     That's the objective........not 9-7 and a WC.

Consider the guy McD replaced.   

Rex had some playoff runs with NYJ........even beat the Patriots in Foxboro to go to the AFCCG..........but it's about winning titles and sustaining success.

Then consider the guy REX replaced.

First year in Jax took the Jags to AFCCG and had the lead on the Patriots in the 4th quarter of that game.

Plenty of time-testedly bad HC's like Rex have made the playoffs a couple times or won some games in the playoffs.    

Now look at you..........tryna give props to a HC for keeping the Pats score down for a few quarters in a game where the Bills never even got in the ***** red zone on offense!:lol:............they never challenged in that game.........don't be so pathetic.:doh:

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm always going to be about winning the Super Bowl.     That's the objective........not 9-7 and a WC.

Rex had some playoff runs with NYJ........even beat the Patriots in Foxboro to go to the AFCCG..........but it's about winning titles and sustaining success.

First year in Jax took the Jags to AFCCG and had the lead on the Patriots in the 4th quarter of that game.

Plenty of time-testedly bad HC's like Rex have made the playoffs a couple times or won some games in the playoffs.    

Now look at you..........tryna give props to a HC for keeping the Pats score down for a few quarters in a game where the Bills never even got in the ***** red zone on offense!:lol:............they never challenged in that game.........don't be so pathetic.:doh:

talk about missing a point completely... the point is he's shown with a subpar roster he can compete with them. so its silly when you talk about the "manner" in which they lost all four games being so bad.

I wasn't touting our coach for a loss. just saying he's right there.... you do you though man. keep pissing and moaning about every staff that doesn't bring a superbowl to town in the first 2 years..... but i'm the pathetic one. 

get real and get off your ridiculous high horse. we are ALL about winning the superbowl. don't act like that some regal goal that only you could understand…. change the record man. its getting old. basically you are saying if they aren't winning the title this is gonna be your schtick. Well have fun B**ching about the staff while the rest of us enjoy the season and playoff run with a young up and coming squad. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Don't let realism get in the way of your impossible expectations. Bills were slated by most people including Bills fans to pick high for both of the past seasons. In the first they achieved a wild card ending the drought. Last year wasn't about anything other than starting over. Considering that and the horrific start, and despite a putrid OL, WRs, TE, and novice QBs they managed six wins with some flashes from their rookie QB.

Do you genuinely think that a team that had long-standing fundamental flaws was going to be competitive immediately? You talk about championship games and SB appearances like that is a reasonable expectation in year one. Goodness me.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:29 PM, Captain Tucker said:

Watching the Jets - Browns Monday night game puts the Bills rebuild in perspective. They have done an awesome job so far! 

I felt the same way. I walked away thinking that even if this season does amount to 8-8 the organization as a whole feels farrr more stable then at any point I can remember as an adult (31 they have been bad forever).

in fairness to the Jets though if you switched roster between buffalo and NY I feel the expectations would’ve been the same and that the media created these heightened goals. Buffalos roster was always ahead by a bit and while similar the Jets roster in buffalo would’ve had more tempered expectations like you saw from the media with the Bills. Realistically the media wants one if not both NYC teams to do well it’s hell marketability. So of course once the Jets got Bell and Mosley plus Darnolds possible growth it setup a nightmare scenario where if things went sideways the fall was going to be harder then maybe it really is. Such is life for big market teams they will pump you up big but when you fall it’s a canyon. There is no rational reason Buffalo shouldn’t have had an equal number of night games like the Jets at 2-3 other then market, but the dysfunction shines greater now with the attention.

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

talk about missing a point completely... the point is he's shown with a subpar roster he can compete with them. so its silly when you talk about the "manner" in which they lost all four games being so bad.

I wasn't touting our coach for a loss. just saying he's right there.... you do you though man. keep pissing and moaning about every staff that doesn't bring a superbowl to town in the first 2 years..... but i'm the pathetic one. 

get real and get off your ridiculous high horse. we are ALL about winning the superbowl. don't act like that some regal goal that only you could understand…. change the record man. its getting old. basically you are saying if they aren't winning the title this is gonna be your schtick. Well have fun B**ching about the staff while the rest of us enjoy the season and playoff run with a young up and coming squad. 

THEY WEREN'T COMPETITIVE.

They lost the game 25-6 and kicked 47 and 51 yard FG's..........it was never a contest..........I was there!    At no point did I or anyone around me in that stadium think that they had any chance of winning that game because there was zero chance they could score a TD against the Patriots defense.

The second game was even more mind-numbingly pre-determined...........but at least they scored a TD!    With like 30 seconds left in garbage time.......but hey........2 games 1 TD.........very competitive season series indeed!:doh:

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

THEY WEREN'T COMPETITIVE.

They lost the game 25-6 and kicked 47 and 51 yard FG's..........it was never a contest..........I was there!    At no point did I or anyone around me in that stadium think that they had any chance of winning that game because there was zero chance they could score a TD against the Patriots defense.

The second game was even more mind-numbingly pre-determined...........but at least they scored a TD!    With like 30 seconds left in garbage time.......but hey........2 games 1 TD.........very competitive season series indeed!:doh:

you do you, boo

23 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Don't let realism get in the way of your impossible expectations. Bills were slated by most people including Bills fans to pick high for both of the past seasons. In the first they achieved a wild card ending the drought. Last year wasn't about anything other than starting over. Considering that and the horrific start they didn't fall apart, in fact they surprised people.

Do you genuinely think that a team that had long-standing fundamental flaws was going to be competitive immediately? You talk about championship games and SB appearances like that is a reasonable expectation in year one. Goodness me.

I had the Bills at 10 wins heading into TC in 2017...........they Jauron-balled their way to 9............it would have been inexcusable to have that veteran of a team with the talent they had and finished where knuckleheads like you thought they would.

This year they have the 6th oldest team in the NFL...........they have spent a ton of money in the short term to stock/assemble THEIR roster in year 3..........the QB looks ready and they realistically should win 11 games with this very favorable schedule.   THAT is realistic.    

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't agree.   Win or lose on Sunday, this team is definitely on the right track.  It is exactly what McD said it would be, a team he can build on.   How fast the building takes place remains to be seen, but the foundation is there.  

I get where you are coming from and agree but I’m still in cautiously optimistic mode.   The thread title said we are a competent team which could mean many things but I took it to be we are a good team. A team that wins most games.  I don’t think the evidence is there to conclude that yet. 

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I had the Bills at 10 wins heading into TC in 2017...........they Jauron-balled their way to 9............it would have been inexcusable to have that veteran of a team with the talent they had and finished where knuckleheads like you thought they would.

This year they have the 6th oldest team in the NFL...........they have spent a ton of money in the short term to stock/assemble THEIR roster in year 3..........the QB looks ready and they realistically should win 11 games with this very favorable schedule.   THAT is realistic.    

Wait...so they got 9 instead of 10 that you hoped in 2017. And this year they are already two wins towards your target of 11. So why are you so convinced that McD is doing a terrible job? You talked about Rex Ryan-I mean do you genuinely hand on heart feel that he was a better HC than McD? Or is this just because you wanted someone else like Mcvay? Do you feel the franchise is on the upturn or the downturn? I'm genuinely curious. I'm glad that you see cause for optimism in Josh but do you really think that from a personal viewpoint McD is beyond redemption for you at this point?

Edited by Seoulofstone

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I get where you are coming from and agree but I’m still in cautiously optimistic mode.   The thread title said we are a competent team which could mean many things but I took it to be we are a good team. A team that wins most games.  I don’t think the evidence is there to conclude that yet. 

Cool.   I didn't read it that way.   I think of competent and incompetent as more akin to functional and dysfunctional.   Bills were dysfunctional for years, because of some ongoing combination of management, coaching and talent.  Now they're functional.   They are competent in their jobs, top to bottom in the organization.   

What I think that means is that they get the most you can expect out of each person, including each player.   That expectation is based in part on the talent of the players.  If the Bills had Odell Beckham, for example, the expectations of the offense would be higher.   They don't have him, so I don't expect the passing game to be as explosive as perhaps it needs to be.  The guys they have are competent, but to be a big winner I think the Bills need some talent upgrades.

That's why I've been saying (and I think Beane was sort of implied it often) that 2020 is the target year for the Bills to be really good.   They're competent this season, may or may not turn out to be good, too.  Next season they will be competent and good.  

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Perfect gif..........you could be dying by crucifixion and be unwilling to admit that it hasn't gone exactly as you'd planned.:lol:

Following sports is supposed to be entertainment...........and for me it always is.........Bills 14-2 or 2-14........I enjoy it.......Yankees win WS or have a losing record(though they've had 27 straight winning seasons:devil:) I enjoy it all...........and I will enjoy the tailgating season even more.........there is nothing like living in the moment on those Sundays in OP.:beer:

If you want to keep blowing smoke up your own azz so that you can enjoy it so be it............be a clown?........but it's going to get called out on this forum...........some of us don't need to go to extraordinary lengths to suspend disbelief like you do in order to enjoy the product.

I've posted 11,000 less times than you on this forum and have 1,500 more "likes". I'm not usually one to play the popularity game, but if you're going to act like more people around here think the way you do than the way I do, well...the numbers don't back that up.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't agree.   Win or lose on Sunday, this team is definitely on the right track.  It is exactly what McD said it would be, a team he can build on.   How fast the building takes place remains to be seen, but the foundation is there.  

This. Multiple people that have replied in this thread have presented some version of the "pump the brakes" comment. They're missing the point of my thread. It's as if they read what I wrote as "The Bills are going to win the championship this year! Best team in the league!". That's not what I said at all. What I DID say is that they are competently managed and have a clear and cogent plan in place. One loss on Sunday -- even to the Bengals -- won't change that. Hell, if the Bills lost the next TWO games and fell to 2-2, it still wouldn't change that. There will be stumbles, losses to teams they shouldn't lose to, maybe even some losing seasons...and it won't change the fact that I believe the Bills have a great front office, excellent coaching staff, and have moved out of the "groping the dark" group and into the "well run, purposefully planned, intelligently run" group. I will not be "pumping the brakes" any time soon. A loss here or there won't make me suddenly think "gee, maybe I was wrong and the Bills AREN'T well run". Good management resides at One Bills Drive now, and it would take a hell of a lot to change my mind.

Edited by Logic

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

I've posted 11,000 less times than you on this forum and have 1,500 more "likes". I'm not usually one to play the popularity game, but if you're going to act like more people around here think the way you do than the way I do, well...the numbers don't back that up.

you ever try to talk to an addict about the issue and somehow, after talking to them, it turns out its everyone else with the problem and not them?

its a similar sad situation with that certain poster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Just sit back and let him educate you.  He's an educator.  And a genius.  And untouchable.  Just ask him.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1