Daniel Jones - new starting QB for the Giants

KingBoots8

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Are you going to brag about yourself in every thread?  Who cares?  You get one or two right and you've had a thousand wrong. 

Wake up on the wrong side of the cave this morning?  Lighten up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don't know if Eli has a no-trade clause in his contract, but I'm pretty sure he'd retire before he goes to the Jets to play a game or two and then back up Sam Darnold, or Pittsburgh to sit behind Mason Rudolph.  Same with him going to Green Bay or Chicago to back up Rogers or Trubisky.

I understand where your coming from but let’s say Rudolph craps the bed the next couple weeks, the Steelers lose 3 in a row to start 0-5. They aren’t placing that call esp now after giving up their 1st round pick for Minkah? Jacksonville has a pretty wide open division to possibly win. 

I just brought up the Jets because he can play 3-4 games stay in NY and not move his house or family etc while still getting a chance to recuperate any value he still has

Edited by gonzo1105

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I understand where your coming from but let’s say Rudolph craps the bed the next couple weeks, the Steelers lose 3 in a row to start 0-5. They aren’t placing that call esp now after giving up their 1st round pick for Minkah. Jacksonville has a pretty wide open division to possibly win. 

I just brought up the Jets because he can play 3-4 games stay in NY and not move his house or family etc while still getting a chance to recuperate any value he still has

Jacksonville makes sense.  They still have a great defense and Eli could start right away and make them a contender.  I think Pittsburgh has some belief in Mason Rudolph and want to see what he's got.  They didn't look very good even with Big Ben, so I don't think Eli  puts them over the top...  

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Just at a quick glance, the only real options I see for Eli (besides remaining as Jones' backup, which I think is most likely) are:

1. Pittsburgh - Maybe as Rudolph's backup, maybe as the starter, but I think Pittsburgh is at least a little excited to see Rudolph in game action even if I personally think he's bad.
  2. Chicago - They already have Chase Daniel as Trubisky's backup though, and might not want to put any additional pressure on Trubisky as is.
  3. Green Bay - Their current backup is Tim Boyle.
  4. Jets - They probably think Darnold is only out a few more weeks though, so maybe they hold off, but Eli would certainly be an upgrade over Falk in the interim if they want to keep any hopes of a successful season alive.

That's all I got.

Plenty of opportunities around the league as a starter. The biggest issue will be the cap hit the new team will take. Else, he will have a littany of choices this year itself. 

25 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

My favorite is we have Webb on our practice squad (I am assuming he's still there).

My father in law is a Giants fan and wanted them desperately to play Webb at the end whenever his rookie season was when the year was lost to see how he could do, but they never did. Then they end up drafting Barkely and doing that without knowing really how Webb looked/if they had a legit second tier game manager plan for post Eli in hand, and then they drafted Jones and lost Webb.

Small thing, probably not important other than speaking to a front office that is potentially closed minded (ya think), and I'm looking forward to having an extended conversation about it next time we get together in a few months. Seriously, I think I'm just going to have to say Davis Webb and that will start a glorious rant.

Edit: wait Davis Webb was a third round pick in 2016 and they cut him sometime between 2017 and 2018 (I had to have know the this no question)?!?! Oof, did they miss on him or was it regime change? Obviously doesn't seem like he's ready for a backup role, but that's squandering a lot of draft capital on likely known developmental project early.

The new regime came in and drafted their own QB in the 4th round of the 2018 draft,  Kyle Lauletta, cut Webb before the 2018 season & he was signed by the Jets to their practice squad.  The Jets then cut Webb after this preseason & the Bills picked him up.  Alex Tanney was the Giants 2nd stringer last year, Lauletta 3rd string.  Then this year they drafted Jones in the 1st and Tanney beat out Lauletta for 3rd string and cut Lauletta who ended up on the Eagles practice squad. 

48 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

There is no one "The" problem there. They have a litany of problems, and Eli was undoubtedly one of them.

I wonder if there will be any trade interest in Eli, and if so, who.

Agreed.  The biggest problem might be Adam Gase, but he's not going anywhere right away.  Eli no longer has "it."  His arm is no longer what it once was and without a better supporting cast, he just can't do it anymore.  I think Daniel Jones might be an upgrade at this point, but he'll need a better supporting cast too.  Good defenses might be gashed some by Saquon Barkley, but if there aren't enough other facets to the Giants' attack, those good defenses will adjust as Buffalo's did, and take Barkley out of the equation.

45 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Just at a quick glance, the only real options I see for Eli (besides remaining as Jones' backup, which I think is most likely) are:

1. Pittsburgh - Maybe as Rudolph's backup, maybe as the starter, but I think Pittsburgh is at least a little excited to see Rudolph in game action even if I personally think he's bad.
  2. Chicago - They already have Chase Daniel as Trubisky's backup though, and might not want to put any additional pressure on Trubisky as is.
  3. Green Bay - Their current backup is Tim Boyle.
  4. Jets - They probably think Darnold is only out a few more weeks though, so maybe they hold off, but Eli would certainly be an upgrade over Falk in the interim if they want to keep any hopes of a successful season alive.

That's all I got.

Maybe Colts take him for Hoyer and a pick.  With $11,500,000 salary this year.

On Sept 2, Hoyer signed a three-year, $12 million contract with the Indianapolis Colts so money is about the same.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Agreed.  The biggest problem might be Adam Gase, but he's not going anywhere right away.  Eli no longer has "it."  His arm is no longer what it once was and without a better supporting cast, he just can't do it anymore.  I think Daniel Jones might be an upgrade at this point, but he'll need a better supporting cast too.  Good defenses might be gashed some by Saquon Barkley, but if there aren't enough other facets to the Giants' attack, those good defenses will adjust as Buffalo's did, and take Barkley out of the equation.

Gase is terrible, no doubt, but is he really bad enough to sink the Giants, just by sharing a stadium with them?

• Haha (+1) 7

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Gase is terrible, no doubt, but is he really bad enough to sink the Giants, just by sharing a stadium with them?

Oops. Then again, he just might be.  LOL

Edited by TigerJ

1 hour ago, GG said:

Eli wasn't the problem.

I get why fans don't understand this truth, but I'm baffled by head coaches who don't get it. Youth may help Jones escape and throw a little better than Eli right now, but if anyone things this changes their trajectory for the foreseeable future is kidding themselves. The team has problems beyond the QB position.

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Yep...SO lightly that you needed to come in and respond to my post.  It's ok, BV, even you will come around eventually.

When I start beating my chest about predictions, yeah, then it's time to quit.

I don't see you doing any mea culpas when you're wrong though.  Sad. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

I get why fans don't understand this truth, but I'm baffled by head coaches who don't get it. Youth may help Jones escape and throw a little better than Eli right now, but if anyone things this changes their trajectory for the foreseeable future is kidding themselves. The team has problems beyond the QB position.

The Giants aren’t doing it for this year.  They are going nowhere in 2019, with or without Eli, so get Jones some experience and maybe deal Eli for a draft pick...it’s the right move.

11 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Yes they do.  So do the Jets, having watched the entire MNF game last night in addition to our game with them.

We've beaten 2 pretty lousy teams so far.  I can't wait to play a good team now so we can see just what we have.

A lot of people think Eli is going to the HOF.  His time is done, no big deal.