Sunday Ticket streaming thread

Thought I'd start a thread specific to streaming Sunday Ticket.  Mods, feel free to merge if you don't think this merits a separate thread.

So I recently got my roof replaced and the DTV dish was pulled off and put back on in the process.  This happened just in time for my dish to be inoperable for last Sunday. 

I figured out I could use my DTV account to stream to my Roku device.  What a miserable experience.

While coincidentally all the commercials seemed to come in perfectly clear, the game was 3 hours of freezing, skipping and blurred screens.

I think my internet speed is about 7 mbps, with an older Roku.  I had everyone in the house turn off wifi to their devices, but it was still terrible.

Hows everyone else doing with streaming?  Is it the internet speed or device that makes the most difference?  Would I have been better off streaming to my son's Xbox?

Thanks.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I would say take a look at your internet speed.  7 Mbps is not very fast at all, as a comparison I'm running at about 75 Mbps overall (not necessarily to the Roku but just overall internet download speed) and also using the generation 1 Roku. 

I have used the streaming service for several years and haven't had any issues.  Good luck to you and Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, santoro770 said:

I would say take a look at your internet speed.  7 Mbps is not very fast at all, as a comparison I'm running at about 75 Mbps overall (not necessarily to the Roku but just overall internet download speed) and also using the generation 1 Roku. 

I have used the streaming service for several years and haven't had any issues.  Good luck to you and Go Bills!

I have used it for years no problem until this year. I tried the app on my Fire Cube and casting to chromecast. Both skipped and buffered a lot so far this year. I have 1G fiber connection and Google Wifi mesh routers, so speed is not the issue for me.

I streamed the whole game on Sunday Ticket app  with 0 issues. Same as last week and same as last season. I use an Apple TV 4K connected with Ethernet on a 400mbps service with Spectrum. I dont think 7mbps is gonna cut it, but that olderROKU may be an issue too.  You need a newer device and preferably plugged into the router with Ethernet and not WiFi. 

11 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

you were able to stream on a flight??  What airline?  

American.....have to pay for internet....opened up app and watched...there was some buffering but clear picture...kinda cool

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

I use an Apple TV and have 200mps internet. It’s flawless for me. Been using it since 2015. The first year was the worst as I used a chromecast. Decided to use appletv the following season because I could download the app on it, unlike the first generation where I’d have to cast it to the Apple TV. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I had this issues in the past.  My trick is to switch to another game, then back to the Bills.  I have no idea why this works.  

Also, 7 mpbs down is really really slow. (are you sure that's not the up speed?).  I think you want at least like 15.  

I got 16 mbps and have had some issues with buffering.  I found the same thing by switching to another channel then back.

It seems to refresh the signal.  Also I found out if I just bring up the channel guide menu and click again on the station it

refreshes.  By doing that it wastes a little less time.

I have Century Link coming today to upgrade my modem and increase my speed to 80mbps.

• Like (+1) 1

Streamed multiple games on multiple screens with different devices Apple TV and Roku - I use it every week no issues clear HD on 60-80inch TVs a lot of time it depends on the device being able to process the HD 

7mbs should be able to handle SD but HD usually requires 8 to be safe 

it was likely the Roku having issues processing and just the low bandwidth 

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Thought I'd start a thread specific to streaming Sunday Ticket.  Mods, feel free to merge if you don't think this merits a separate thread.

So I recently got my roof replaced and the DTV dish was pulled off and put back on in the process.  This happened just in time for my dish to be inoperable for last Sunday. 

I figured out I could use my DTV account to stream to my Roku device.  What a miserable experience.

While coincidentally all the commercials seemed to come in perfectly clear, the game was 3 hours of freezing, skipping and blurred screens.

I think my internet speed is about 7 mbps, with an older Roku.  I had everyone in the house turn off wifi to their devices, but it was still terrible.

Hows everyone else doing with streaming?  Is it the internet speed or device that makes the most difference?  Would I have been better off streaming to my son's Xbox?

Thanks.

I live out in the forest where options are limited.  I stream Bills games on Sunday Ticket with a download speed of 7.9.  Picture quality comes and goes.  Sometimes beautifully HD.  But I also suffer moments when the action is so blurry I can't tell what's happening.  

It's all about the internet speed.  I have a Roku TV (TCL) and I have 200mbs download internet, however I stream at about 26 mbps  due to my router is far from my set... Great picture and never freezes.  If you have a 60 mbs pipe with internet service, if you are using wireless then move your router or buy an extender and put it closer to your TV.. You will see the difference.

29 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I had this issues in the past.  My trick is to switch to another game, then back to the Bills.  I have no idea why this works.  

Also, 7 mpbs down is really really slow. (are you sure that's not the up speed?).  I think you want at least like 15.  

You are correct, after posting this I did a speed test and got up to around 15.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

It's all about the internet speed.  I have a Roku TV (TCL) and I have 200mbs download internet, however I stream at about 26 mbps  due to my router is far from my set... Great picture and never freezes.  If you have a 60 mbs pipe with internet service, if you are using wireless then move your router or buy an extender and put it closer to your TV.. You will see the difference.

internet speed may be an issue but, for me, it cropped up this year. I have had the same internet speed for past 3 years and yet this year,  have lost signal 7-8 times per game. I have to manually switch to a different game, wait for it to come on and then switch back to the Bills game. So the issue is somewhere in the streaming service. 

I think we're talking 2 different things here.  Sounds like you have a dish still and stream from your DTV account.  Then there is the dedicated Sunday Ticket streaming only service, with no dish and no DTV.  I have the latter, and have had 0 issues for several years now, over wifi but with admittedly higher speeds.  When I had the dish and tried to stream that seemed to have issues IIRC, but that was years ago.

I have a dish, and watch Bills game using that. I also set up another TV and stream the Redzone on that using the Sunday Ticket app, and have for the last three years using a Roku TV..no worries at all.

Son has the student package, he has not said anything related to qulity at all.

BTW, good place to check your download and upload speeds

https://www.speedtest.net/

Edited by plenzmd1