Pleasant surprises through two weeks...

eball

I won't say it's a surprise, I have always had faith in Josh.  But we were all hoping he would make a big jump in year 2.  You never know until the season plays out.  Josh really seems to be getting a better grasp each and every game.  He's smart.  He's athletic.  He's big.  He has a cannon.  And he has swag.  What else would you want in a QB?  Go Josh!  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I won't say it's a surprise, I have always had faith in Josh.  But we were all hoping he would make a big jump in year 2.  You never know until the season plays out.  Josh really seems to be getting a better grasp each and every game.  He's smart.  He's athletic.  He's big.  He has a cannon.  And he has swag.  What else would you want in a QB?  Go Josh!  Go Bills!

I think he'll have a hiccup in a game or two this season.  And I'm not talking about a mistake here and there, but a couple of games where he slumps.  I think it remains really important for the fans to continue to have patience with Allen as he grows and matures.  We might be seeing too much too soon and I hope we all temper our expectations some.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Besides Felacio and Bojo, it's not really "surprises" as that was the plan,  but still sooooo pleasant to see it become a reality

Josh often has a pocket to throw from, and while not a surprise, when he doesn't , he scrambles like the best of them. 

Feliciano nasty efficient blocking and Morse pulling like a 240 pound dude.

TE play. All of them! At least medium long pass routes. I haven't watched their blocking closely TBH.

Defense. Yes they are as good as last year but we never know for sure if that will keep happening

And yes for me as well, Dabbol making creative full use of all his new toys. Bills O is very unpredictable and that's good!

Bills O doesn't have true "big names" but the talent is so spread out it's tough to defend for sure, especially combined with the playcalling.

On 9/17/2019 at 6:02 AM, eball said:

What are some things even the optimistic fans among us are pleasantly surprised by after two weeks?  I'll throw out a few:

-- Daboll's scheming and playcalling

-- Bojo!

-- Lee Smith (and overall TE play)

-- Shaq Lawson (and overall DL depth)

-- Feliciano

-- productivity of John Brown (did anyone expect 14 catches in two weeks?)

Discuss.

-- Micah Hyde and Trent Murphy are off to a great start

-- Devin Singletary and Isaah McKenzie are looking really good.

-- Despite the continuing efforts to build a solid OL, we're already much better than 2018.

-- Zay Jones was wide open on 2 of Allen's worst throws. He missed out on 2 big gains.

-- Most Bills fans didn't want to admit how bad Allen truly was last year, but it's clear that both he and the rest of the offense have made strides. I look forward to seeing JA get even better. The accuracy still needs a lot of work, but it's also been the area where JA has improved the most.

-- Levi Wallace will be replaced by an early pick in the next draft. Then you'll really start to see this D rock.

-- Why no love for McDermott? He made some mistakes early on, but how many HC's are doing any better right now? (Besides BB). Both Coordinators too.

-- So far our kicking game has been WAY better than our opponents.

-- Dawson Knox just learned that when Josh Allen is throwing the ball into a tight window, you need to get your hands up a little quicker. It doesn't take long for the ball to arrive.

-- JA may not be the most exciting news on O thus far. Brown and Singletary are giving him a run for his money.

-- The place is gonna be rockin' when the Pats show up.

--  Siran Neal has also been a pleasant surprise so far.

Edited by GreggTX

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have actually been a bit frustrated at times with Dabolls playcalling.  It hasn’t been all bad by any means, but I found myself frustrated last parts of 2nd quarter and early 3rd qtr week 1.  Week 2 I felt he got too complacent and conservative in the 2nd half where it allowed Giants to get back in the game too. 

But, that being said he also made nice adjustments after those spells where I was frustrated and got the O back on track in each game.  So still quite high on Daboll overall.

I would also add Singletary to your list and yes, I did expect 14 catches by Brown first 2 weeks.  I thought he was going to be a 80+ catch, 1200 yard season with 8+ TDS this year.  

This was discussed on WGR and it was mentioned that, since they felt the game was in hand, they chose not to show any more of the offense than necessary. 

I thought that was an interesting take that I had not considered. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I know productivity is not always measured with your # being called by the commentators or showing up on the stat line but I have not heard #55 as much as I expected especialy with the new additions this year. 

He played well vs Jets. Solder seemed to handle him fairly well, but there was a heavy rotation it seemed. Saw a lot of shaq, Trent and even Johnson. 

What's surprising!

1. 3rd Down. For years the Bills have failed to convert on 3rd and failed to stop on 3rd down. This year we've been doing it on both sides of the ball. Man, I hope this continues.

2. TE's Sweeney and Knox. Wasn't expecting much after Kroft went down, especially from a 7th rounder, but both have looked good blocking downfield and receiving.

3. The Swagger.  I haven't seen a Bills team in a long, long time that has had a confident swagger and doesn't panic or make stupid mistakes or stupid coaching calls in crucial situations. For years and years when it mattered, we would do something stupid to make my head spin and my turrets come out.

4. RT. I figured we had this problem solved and both Ford or Nsekhe would be way better than Mills. I haven't seen it yet. I think we will soon, just hasn't come together yet.

5. Gore. I love and respect his game and career, but he looks slow and old. I'm not sure why we feed him so much. I'd like to see a lot more Devin and some Yeldon. 

6. DiMarco. Why are we throwing screens to him for no gain. I'm surprised we used this play multiple times.

7. (future surprise) Beating the Patriots week 4 by 14 points. I thought we'd fold but YES YES YES... GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

You expected a 10-11 point improvement right out of the gate? 

I expected his season average to be 10 points better.  I didn't think about when it would happen, but I guess to finish there he would pretty much have to start there.  I didn't think he'd start slow and grow to 80% in order to average 64.  So yeah, from the beginning. 

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I'll start by saying I loved that signing from the beginning but I wasn't expecting quite as complete a wr as he's been so far.

crisp routes and he really seems to WORK them.

Yeah i admit this is probably just me being ignorant but i always thought of John Brown as a pure vertical threat. But he does everything right, even the little things. I don't think he has dropped a ball and his target to catch ratio must be around 90%. The deep comeback/out route from Allen to Brown has been an easy 1st down every time.

I agree with so many of the answers above, but I don't want to repeat them, so I'm going to say I'm pleasantly surprised by the depth.

We went from no Offensive line to at least 7 deep starting caliber players. Feliciano being the biggest surprise.

Our #1 WR over the last 7 games last year is now 5th or 6th on the depth chart. 

Last year, the TE situation was ugly. When Kroft comes back, we will be 4 deep at TE.

We're 4 deep at DT and DE

Last year, when T. Johnson went down, we were in trouble. This year, in comes Neal, Marlowe, and the other Johnson and they hold down the slot.

The rookies all look good. The young guys are ballin' out on special teams. Beane took multiple areas of weakness and made them strengths!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1