Pleasant surprises through two weeks...

eball

As it pertains to Offensive Coordinator playcalling, I’ve always been an advocate that most offensive coordinators are the same. They run the same run schemes, and pass route combinations. 

The difference in the “playcalling” is the level of talent you have to run said schemes to success. 

Last year a lot of people were complaining about the schemes and the lack of production but now that the QB, WRs,TEs and OL have been replaced, or gotten a lot better,  Daboll all of a sudden is a rocket scientist who is dialing up all the right calls at the right time.   

Its just my opinion as I don’t think every Bills OC was terrible over the last 25 years, they just lacked the tools for success

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

John Brown has impressed me with his crossing routes... seems like every time we need a chunk play, he gets the ball in the middle of the field for 15+ yards.

My impression is that he's always run those routes.  That's what's made him always look like a promising receiver - great deep speed that he also uses to outrun the defense on the crossing routes.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

What are some things even the optimistic fans among us are pleasantly surprised by after two weeks?  I'll throw out a few:

-- Daboll's scheming and playcalling

-- Bojo!

-- Lee Smith (and overall TE play)

-- Shaq Lawson (and overall DL depth)

-- Feliciano

-- productivity of John Brown (did anyone expect 14 catches in two weeks?)

Discuss.

I  am not surprised by Feliciano.  He is playing like he played in Oakland when given the chance. He plays with a mean streak.

I am pleasantly surprised by Josh Allen's growth - his  patience and improved accuracy thus far.  He has worked hard and it is showing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Horrible Harry and the batted passes. Quite honestly, I don’t recall even noticing him on the field most of the time last year. In the Giants game, he really stepped up and getting those passes down was great for killing a few momentum starting drives for the Giants.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

What are some things even the optimistic fans among us are pleasantly surprised by after two weeks?  I'll throw out a few:

-- Bojo!

-- Feliciano

Discuss.

Great list, eball, and I agree.

i love Feliciano.  He was nasty in preseason and that wasn't just lip service to make the team.

Isn't it ridiculous (and nice) that two rookies and a journeymen are giving us better quality play at TE than we had last year?

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

john brown and moving those chains.  it finally seems like we can get first downs even if we're 3rd and long instead of doing a draw play or just throwing a screen and giving up.  

I don't know why you are getting excited.  He is only on pace for 112 receptions, for 1,560 yards and 8 TDs.  ?

I like imaging that he is thinking to himself, "whew...glad I signed here."

We are too, JB.  Honestly. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm not surprised at how good John Brown is doing. I was hoping the Bills would sign him last year. He's more than a speedy receiver.

A surprise for me is Ed Oliver. I know, I know, he's our first round pick.  I thought he would start slowly and then as the season progressed he would become a dominant. That is not the case. He may not have a sack yet, but he has been a force in the middle, and is getting a lot of pressure on the quarterback.

Shaq Lawson, has surprised me also. He wants that big payday and he's working hard for it.

The batted balls have been great. Love watching our defense play volleyball.

Josh Allen's progression has been great to see.

I have to give a shout out to Mitch Morse. We already knew how good of a player he is, but I was worried about the concussions being a big problem, and we never saw him in the preseason. Since  week 1, he has looked fantastic. He's a damn good run blocker. The nightmare of watching Bodine & Groy last season is over.

• Like (+1) 6

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

john brown and moving those chains.  it finally seems like we can get first downs even if we're 3rd and long instead of doing a draw play or just throwing a screen and giving up.  

4 hours ago, eball said:

-- Bojo!

-- Feliciano

Discuss.

#1WR 1st in First Downs: Smoke is tied for the league lead with 12 first downs. How many people had that through 2 weeks?

QB Making the "Leap": I know he had some problems early on, but Josh is light years better than last year and is already close to where I was hoping he would be by the end of this year.

Long Drives: In the last 5 quarters the offense has had 6 TD drives of at least 70 yards. In order:

8 plays - 85 yards

8 plays - 80 yards

10 plays - 75 yards

11 plays - 70 yards

7 plays - 98 yards

13 plays - 75 yards

When was the last time we did that?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/receiving/table/receiving/sort/receivingFirstDowns/dir/desc

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, eball said:

I should have included this in my original post.  Six drives of 70+ yards for TDs in just two game is stupendous for this team.

Wow, I did not realize it was that many.

Seeing them get into the red zone 4 times and get 4 TD's was most encouraging.

9 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Great list, eball, and I agree.

i love Feliciano.  He was nasty in preseason and that wasn't just lip service to make the team.

Isn't it ridiculous (and nice) that two rookies and a journeymen are giving us better quality play at TE than we had last year?

I don't know why you are getting excited.  He is only on pace for 112 receptions, for 1,560 yards and 8 TDs.  ?

I like imaging that he is thinking to himself, "whew...glad I signed here."

We are too, JB.  Honestly. 

It is incredible, and we haven't even seen the full potential of these rookies. Smart move in drafting these guys, especially with the uncertainty of Kroft.

• Like (+1) 1

My pleasant surprises have nothing to do with the Bills.

I'm talking about Luck retiring, Big Ben probably playing his last NFL game and that franchise possibly sinking into a multiyear lull with a HC change, the realization of just how bad the Jets are, and Miami clearly tanking the season.

A fair amount of potential competition around the AFC is not going to exist this year.

Miami, Jets, and even Pitt might now well represent 5 wins for us, and Indy isn't going to be any sort of wildcard concern. 

You have to strike when the iron is hot!