AFC Hot Takes and More - Week Two

LeGOATski

Getchya hot takes here! Fresh off the gridiron!

I focus on the AFC with some NFC sprinkled in if it was a cross-conference game.

AFC Standings

Team Record Pct Net Pts Streak
Chiefs 2-0-0 1.000 32 W2
Ravens 2-0-0 1.000 55 W2
Pats 2-0-0 1.000 73 W2
Bills 2-0-0 1.000 15 W2
Colts 1-1-0 .500 -4 W1
Texans 1-1-0 .500 -1 W1
Titans 1-1-0 .500 28 L1
Raiders 1-1-0 .500 -10 L1
Browns 1-1-0 .500 -10 W1
Chargers 1-1-0 .500 3 L1
Squealers 0-2-0 .000 32 L2
Fish 0-2-0 .000 -92 L2
Bungles 0-2-0 .000 -25 L2
Jests 0-2-0 .000 -21 L2
Donkeys 0-2-0 .000 -10 L2
Pussycats 0-2-0 .000 -15 L2

Bills 28: Kelly Tough - Second drive after going 3 and out on their first. Allen took a keeper to the right sideline, stiff-armed Lorenzo Carter and threw him to the ground. I lol’d and thought to myself “the kid just provided the spark.” It was pretty much smooth sailing from there. Allen made another play at the end of the half that I thought was impressive: the corner came up the middle on a delayed blitz and Allen side-armed his pass around the blitzer for the completion. It was so quick. He throws like Favre, shuffles around the pocket like Rodgers, runs like Cam... he’s Allen.

giphy.gif

Giants 14: They’re great at running the scripted first drive... Barkley torched the Bills defense for 50+ yards and a TD as Eli Manning didn’t pass once. I was so worried. Then Pat Shurmur did Pat Shurmur things and quickly abandoned the run. The Giants lost all momentum. That was really stupid of them because then the BIlls took over. It reminded me of the Giants’ week one game. They torched Dallas on the first drive and then couldn’t do anything else until after falling into a hole. Some people thought the Bills didn’t have the offensive firepower to be able to do what Dallas did, but that’s apparently not the case. TJ Jones had a great day after being activated this week. Maybe the Giants should stick with him...

Lions 13: They’re the Chargers of the NFC North. Year after year they look pretty talented and they have Matt Stafford, of course, but they never get it done. Logan Thomas sighting!

Chargers 10: Phillip Rivers is DONE and the Chargers should’ve drafted his replacement already. They should trade him for some nice picks. It’s time. They have Tyrod to hold down the fort in the meantime. They have a great defense. They have an underrated backfield with the Ekeler/Jackson combo, which becomes a great backfield if Gordon is in the mix.

Colts 19: I thought they looked good last week, despite losing to the Chargers. They looked good again this week in a tough win. They now remind me of the pre-Josh Allen Bills. Talented team with a decent QB, but not a franchise guy. Do you think they would trade for Phillip Rivers?

Titans 17: My least favorite team behind the Pats. I said they outperformed themselves last week against a distracted Browns team. They came back down to earth this week against a focused Colts team. They look like the weakest team in the competitive AFC South division. 

I don't foresee either of these two teams being AFC contenders in the next year or two.

Chiefs 28: Mahomes started off shaky as he missed open targets badly. It was the kind of start that some fans would criticize Allen for. Once he settled down, the Chiefs were virtually unstoppable. I don’t think they miss Tyreek Hill at all. Robinson owned the Raiders’ secondary. It’s gonna be a tough game for the Bills when they meet in the playoffs....

Raiders 10: I know he’s a rookie, but they should rely on Josh Jacobs more, even if they fall behind on the scoreboard. I understand you want to score quickly, but you also need to keep the Chiefs offense off the field. Carr and the passing game imploded in the 3rd quarter, just when it seemed they might start a comeback. The Raiders still look like the 2nd best team in the AFC West, IMO.

Cardinals 17: They look stronger than last week, but the Ravens defense is better than the Lions. Kyler Murray wasn’t gonna lead another comeback against them. He’s exceeding my expectations, but I still don’t think he becomes a franchise QB. He just doesn’t have the mentality/personality, IMO. He’s got a good rookie WR in KeeSean Johnson, though. 

Ravens 23: Why couldn’t Greg Roman do this with Tyrod?? Lol…. Lamar Jackson looks good. He looks like what Cam Newton wants to be. And the Ravens look like one of the AFC teams that Buffalo will be competing with for championships over the next 10 years.

Bengals 17: The “Bungles” live up to their maligned nickname. Seriously? They got blown out by the 49ers in their home opener? Yep. Not a good start for their rookie head coach. At times during this game, it looked like their secondary just wasn’t interested in tackling. At least they found a star in John Ross. He’s part of what’s still a potent offense, so the Bills defense needs to be up to the task in week 3.

49ers 41: I like ‘em and I wouldn’t mind if they became one of the top teams in the NFC again...as long as Goodwin stops doing that stupid long jump TD celebration. We get it...you tried out for the Olympics... Montana, Young, Garcia, Kaepernick, Garoppollo… seems to be a rich history of QBs in the Modern Era.

Pat's****** 43: We do not ask for your poor, or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath, we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, 'til it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions. These are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.

Miami 0: The broadcast showed Miami’s miracle win over the Pats last year….yeah….no chance of that on Sunday.

The Bills should trade for Kalen Ballage.

Steelers 26: Rookie RB Benny Snell looks explosive. Maybe he will replace Connor by the end of the year. I was hoping the Bills would draft him in the mid rounds, but I guess Singletary is okay, too.... I liked Rudolph in the draft, too, but Allen will do…. Do you think the Steelers would trade for Phillip Rivers?? I’d rather see Rudolph on the Chargers.

Seahawks 28: Russel Wilson gets to 200 TDs faster than Tom Brady. I like that stat. Wilson blocking downfield on Penny’s TD was awesome to see. For the 2nd week in a row, Metcalf looks like the real deal. Maybe that draft slide was unjustified… There have been a lot of comparisons made between McDermott’s Bills and Carroll’s Seahawks and I love it. As a fanbase, let’s just not become like the Seahawks’ 12th man...

Texans 13: the Watson to Hopkins combo is so good. Maybe my favorite in the AFC, behind the Allen to anybody combo. Mercilus is the premier player on this defense now. His strip sack won the game. If the Texans can stay out of their own way (particularly Bill O'Brien), then they should win the division. They look like one of the AFC teams that Buffalo will be competing with for championships over the next 10 years.

Jaguars 12: Marrone vs Ramsey was one of the best things about this week. Minshwagger was one of the other best things. Rookie WR DJ Chark Jr has been impressive. That looks like a great draft for the Jags. Cool team with an un-cool coach. They could be in the mix for a wild card spot, but I see the Texans and Colts taking that division, especially with Nick Foles out for at least half the season. Do you think the Jags would trade for Phillip Rivers???

Do you agree with Marrone's decision to go for 2 and the win? I do.

The only good coach in the AFC South is Frank Reich.

Broncos 14: The Broncos got screwed by a roughing the passer call. They should be able to review those, too, amiright?? Sanders and Lindsey balled out. Flacco did not. Worst team in the AFC West. They’ll be looking to draft another QB. I don’t think the Bills have to worry about competing with them for a wildcard spot.

Bears 16: ‘member when Cordarrelle Patterson was the hottest name in the draft? I ‘member! But, here he is on his 4th team in 6 years. I love the backfield trio of Montgomery, Cohen, and Davis. Montgomery seems worthy enough to wear Sinorise Perry’s #32.

giphy.gif

Jets 3: I thought Seimian broke his leg. It looked gross. Then he limped off the field on his own, so that’s reassuring. That portion of the “Mic’d Up” recording was probably much more entertaining than the rest of it. Seimian’s is a not a personality I would deem worthy of the mic. He’s a poor man’s Joe Flacco… J-E-T-S-Suck-Suck-Suck! Bell pulled off the win for my fantasy team, though, so I’m happy.

Browns 23: OBJ is sick. Not the Sam Darnold kind of sick, but the Tony Hawk Kickflip McTwist kinda sick, dude. That one-handed catch in the first quarter made me lol + smh. The Browns look like one of the AFC teams that Buffalo will be competing with for championships over the next 10 years.

That’s all. Thanks for reading.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like Kyler Murray, but pay close attention to the redzone struggles the Cardinals had. I think Murray has a tough time seeing the middle of the field when it gets down to that area and the whole thing tightens up. 

Marrone made the right decison but in typical fashion (some would say Obviously) he called the wrong play. So glad he's not here anymore. everyone was saying "he's the next Parcells." That coaching style doesn't seem to work in the NFL anymore.

2 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

I like Kyler Murray, but pay close attention to the redzone struggles the Cardinals had. I think Murray has a tough time seeing the middle of the field when it gets down to that area and the whole thing tightens up. 

Marrone made the right decison but in typical fashion (some would say Obviously) he called the wrong play. So glad he's not here anymore. everyone was saying "he's the next Parcells." That coaching style doesn't seem to work in the NFL anymore.

That's just something Kyler can learn over time...

I think the Marrone = Parcells sentiment went out the window a while ago, lol

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think the Marrone = Parcells sentiment went out the window a while ago, lol

Marrone's problem is that he doesn't have the next Belichick as his DC.  Parcells never won a playoff game as HC without Belichick as his DC.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Marrone's problem is that he doesn't have the next Belichick as his DC.  Parcells never won a playoff game as HC without Belichick as his DC.

That may be true. I don't think Marrone can lead well, anyway. Pettine and Schwartz were pretty good for Marrone. He's always had strong defenses.

5 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

Is that some sort of ‘height’ joke?!  No wonder there’s so many cases of ‘short person syndrome’ around with ‘heightists’ like you around!  ?. Hate crimes!  Hate crimes!

?

35 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

How can the Steelers have 32 net points, yet be 0-2?

Net points?  This be Football, not basketball.

the Seattle Defense allowed the Steelers and the Bungles to threaten them by a combined total of 3 point win margin. 

the Legion of Doom is doomed 

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

The last minute of the Broncos-Bears game was pure bonkers

That roughing the passer call was absolutely bogus. Then how many times have we seen the clock run out on the last play and the refs just call it a game? They chose to give em the last second here. I don't mind it at all, it just seems like it was judgement call on the field. They didn't look at the replay at all to confirm it. In the past, refs have just called the game over.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

It should be -32.  They lost by 30 to the Pats and by 2 to the Seahawks.

Yes

There was a questionable scenario at the end of the Bills game:

- 5:01 left and Bills get the ball up 28-14. The Giants have 2 timeouts left (they lost the first one on the non-reviewable Allen fumble)

- 1st down - Bills run the ball and Giants use their 2nd timeout. They have 1 timeout left.

- 2nd down - Bills run the ball and Singletary injures his hammy - clock stops

- 3rd down - Bills run the ball and Shurmur calls their last timeout as soon as Gore is tackled. Clock stops.

- Refs blow their whistle because Ogletree throws Knox to the ground after the play (little bit of a flop by Knox)

Giants get their timeout back

- Refs discuss the penalty and rule that it was not a penalty (no issue with that)

Clock remains stopped, even though the Giants haven't used timeout and there was no penalty

- this is where I take issue because the Bills had a chance to run off another 30 seconds of clock time there.

They either messed this up or there's a problem with the rule.

If it's a problem with the rule, then it's obviously something Bellichick will take advantage of... ?