What Would You Give UP for A.J. Green?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I thought he had surgery to repair and make full recovery?  I honestly did not follow his situation that closely though.  Are you familiar with his injury?  Is it something that’s hard to fully recover?  If it’s something problematic then yeah that would certainly raise the risk level and reduce the compensation further to risk on a trade.

Torn ligaments in an ankle just sound like something you need more than 6-8 weeks to really recover from even if you can make it on the field after that time frame. 

'

While the signs are optimistic, Green declined to give any kind of timeline and refuted reports that it would take 6-8 weeks to heal.

“I don’t know where they got the six to eight weeks from. It’s going to be longer than that,” Green said. “It’s just one of those things that has to heal on its own. When I feel I’m healthy enough to play at the level I’m used to playing, I just want to make sure it’s at 100 percent.”'

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

15 yards a catch and 14 tds in 17/18 while missing games ?   

Hes still as good as anyone when he can suit up.      

The others didn't have the advantage of playing 9 or 11 games a year.  They were putting up monster numbers all year for years.

He's a great receiver, but not like those 2.

2 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Greene is still a legit #1(still below AB and Jones i would agree but not by much). AB and Jones both played in pass happy offenses. The Ginger isn't known for slinging the rock around like that. Watch AB this year,  i doubt he puts up ridiculous numbers without Big Ben.

Not with that guy throwing the ball to him in NE...

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
51 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Very insightful, thanks... 

I think I have explained the reasoning I have behind trying to acquire A.J. Green enough in this thread and also what I think of his abilities.  Sorry I didn't go over it a 4th time in my reply to your comment.  Here's a little more insight for you though...  Comparing TO at the end of his career to A.J. Green right now is one the more ludicrous things I have heard in many years on this board.  At the of his career TO was not a legit #1 receiver.  A.J. Green as soon as he returns this year will be a top ten receiver in the league.  

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Torn ligaments in an ankle just sound like something you need more than 6-8 weeks to really recover from even if you can make it on the field after that time frame. 

'

While the signs are optimistic, Green declined to give any kind of timeline and refuted reports that it would take 6-8 weeks to heal.

“I don’t know where they got the six to eight weeks from. It’s going to be longer than that,” Green said. “It’s just one of those things that has to heal on its own. When I feel I’m healthy enough to play at the level I’m used to playing, I just want to make sure it’s at 100 percent.”'

To give the full context here, this story I believe was printed on July 30.  So we would be nearly 7 weeks from that date.  If A.J. Green can't get back on the field and perform before the trade deadline then it is a non issue.  If he does get back on the field and looks as good as he did last year, for me it's a no brainer.  

12 hours ago, Estro said:

Not much.  He's aging, he's been hurt a lot lately, many of which have been lower body injuries (not good for a WR). 

His contract pays him $12.2M this year and is up after this year.  So if you wanted to keep him beyond a 1 year rental, you'd have to pay him.....and he's a player I'd be really nervous about investing any type of big $ in.  

With all that said.....I'd probably be willing to give up a 4th rounder for him if it was assured he was healthy and ready to contribute.  My thinking behind that is if he were to show he still has something left in the tank....he worst case gets you a 4th/5th round compensatory pick if he signs with another team after this season as long as he signs a contract for $8M+ a year.  So you give up a 4th in '20 for a player that can help you in '19 and you can recoup a 4th or 4th in '21 if he signs with another team after the '19 season.......I could live with that

This is where I'm at for value roughly but I could see it being a 3rd for Green and a 5th.    The Bengals motivation for trading AJ Green would mostly be saving the $6M-$7M.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

For those of you who  think A.J. Green has been declining over recent years, please watch these highlights from last season.  Also there is a pretty big overblown injury narrative going on in this thread.  He played the first 9 games last season then injured his foot.  He missed 6 games in 2016 but only 4 games total besides that in his career.  The dude is still imo a top 5 receiver.  He dominates games and is pretty much impossible to cover in single coverage.  If Allen had a guy like Green who could go up and get any pass thrown to him, this offense would be significantly better.

41 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

For those of you who  think A.J. Green has been declining over recent years, please watch these highlights from last season.  Also there is a pretty big overblown injury narrative going on in this thread.  He played the first 9 games last season then injured his foot.  He missed 6 games in 2016 but only 4 games total besides that in his career.  The dude is still imo a top 5 receiver.  He dominates games and is pretty much impossible to cover in single coverage.  If Allen had a guy like Green who could go up and get any pass thrown to him, this offense would be significantly better.

Are you confident he's going to be 100 percent in November? I'm certainly not.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would pass on Ramsey for a few reasons personally even though he’s very talented.  

1 - I’m not sure his personality fits our culture and locker room.

2 - I think Levi Wallace is pretty good, so Ramsey isn’t a big need.

3 - He’s going to want an insane contract next year, and I would rather have Levi on his contract opposite Tre than having to pay Ramsey what he will want.  

It is a damn shame about guys like Ramsey. All of that talent and they have to be jerks. I don't know, maybe it would benefit the Bills culture somehow? Sometimes it is good to have a colorful and talented character. The other players know who they are anyway, so how badly would he disrupt the team chemistry? Maybe feed off it?

Edited by Rocket94

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Brown, Beasely AND AJ Green...seriously, Alpha, we start to go to another level.

Yes, everybody, its not Green from 2015 or so.  However, I also not even remotely thinking about 2020, or 2021.

...man, we just could use another solid weapon for the remainder of 2019.

You are right. Now that the Bills have played a few games, there appears to be a need to get a guy like Green. It would catapult the offense to the right level. It looks like the missing piece. As much as I have raved about John Brown, he could use help.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I love Green, but I'm concerned he's going to be hobbled all season, never being more than 80-85 percent. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I thought he had surgery to repair and make full recovery?  I honestly did not follow his situation that closely though.  Are you familiar with his injury?  Is it something that’s hard to fully recover?  If it’s something problematic then yeah that would certainly raise the risk level and reduce the compensation further to risk on a trade.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is where I'm at for value roughly but I could see it being a 3rd for Green and a 5th.    The Bengals motivation for trading AJ Green would mostly be saving the $6M-$7M.

If we brought him in, does he officially become the new "Boo Boo Foot"?

14 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

We could get him without giving up anything if we use some Whaley era maneuvering.

We could trade them any one pick, including a first, for Green. Since we would have used that pick on a player, and we got a player for it, we gave up nothing. It's like magic.

You joke, but this is exactly what Pittsburgh is saying right now. ?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/09/bengals-aj-green-injury-status-return/

I just can't see giving up much for a 31yr old WR with his injury history and needing to be resigned after this season. Maybe a 4th at best? Even if he would sign an extension immediately I'm not sure how much you could commit to him financially at this time. Doesn't sound like he would be ready to play yet for several weeks. Is he really worth the trouble?

Yes, he is easily worth the trouble.  I read the entire article and it makes me feel better about his injury actually.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup...Guarantee AJ Green puts up more than 18 and 14 yards and doesn’t drop that TD pass either.

I mean I don’t know how a defense can consistently defend an offense of Smoke and healthy AJ outside without Cole in the slot catching passes from an accurate and big arm QB who can also run.  We could be a nightmare matchup, not to mention capable TE’s and Singletary to worry about.  

So I think we go to another level too.  AJ isn’t even close to being done as a WR IMO either.  He’s an injury risk sure, but when healthy he’s still one of the best WRs in the game.  I would take that chance personally, but also wouldn't over pay either with a strong WR class next year.

Tini-Tiny little shades of getting Lofton in the late 90s, maybe?

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

You are right. Now that the Bills have played a few games, there appears to be a need to get a guy like Green. It would catapult the offense to the right level. It looks like the missing piece. As much as I have raved about John Brown, he could use help.

Rocket I just think (obviously others do, too) that this...THIS is the sort of gamble you take moving forward the remainder of this year.  Yes, it comes with risk and it costs money, but the return could be splendid. 

AB would have been team cancer with a splash of team chaos.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Tini-Tiny little shades of getting Lofton in the late 90s, maybe?

Rocket I just think (obviously others do, too) that this...THIS is the sort of gamble you take moving forward the remainder of this year.  Yes, it comes with risk and it costs money, but the return could be splendid. 

AB would have been team cancer with a splash of team chaos.

Yes. If you are confident that your team is ready for the next level, then it may be worth the risk. I would say go for it. We already know that Beane is open to making moves beyond the draft. This whole "process" could be coming to a head sooner than we think and we need the best players possible when it goes down.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

AJ Green is hurt and his play has been on a decline. That being said he is still a quality player when on the field. The risk is high but if at the trade deadline the Bengals season looks lost and Green comes back and looks solid (Personally I have to see if he can play before giving up anything for him) I would trade a 4th rounder and a younger role player like Zay or whomever they want of that caliber. While AJ Green might no longer be a top 5 WR in the NFL he is still a quality player when on the field and would complement the offense which when going up against better secondaries might need that extra weapon.