What Would You Give UP for A.J. Green?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Give up a 1st round draft pick for a 31 year old injury riddled player? You are stuck in the mentality of past regimes. I don’t see Brandon Bean ever giving up a number 1 pick unless it was for incredible value. He knows 1 year rentals don’t build a team and doesn’t have stars in his eyes. 

Edited by jabu

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

How old are Antonio Brown and Julio Jones?  When healthy, AJ Green is still on that level.  Like I said I would like to trade much less.  

Only Jones warrants, or would go for, a first. Green’s injury history means that he would cost a 3rd at most. 

You only give up a 1st for an older player if you feel like that player puts you in Superbowl contention.

With his talent and our situation I would give up 2nd rounder but because of injury history a 3rd at best or maybe a 4th and Zay Jones (who needs a change of scenery)

At age 31? For $12 mill this year and a ton more next year unless he's only here this year?

Expect them to build their core through the draft as they've said they would, and to continue their responsible handling of the cap.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

You only give up a 1st for an older player if you feel like that player puts you in Superbowl contention.

With his talent and our situation I would give up 2nd rounder but because of injury history a 3rd at best or maybe a 4th and Zay Jones (who needs a change of scenery)

Interesting thought process.  I like it and agree.

5 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

How old are Antonio Brown and Julio Jones?  When healthy, AJ Green is still on that level.  Like I said I would like to trade much less.  

No he's not.

He was for a couple of years, but hasn't been for a while.

Hard pass.

I'd go as high as a 4th, probably. With the crop of talent coming up, I don't think he himself is a long-term need. Plenty of good, younger, cheaper options coming up in this year's draft. 

Now, if we beat NE week 4 and are 4-0, leading the division and conference, and the FO thinks that we are Super Bowl contenders THIS YEAR and he's the piece to get there, then I'm all for giving up more at that point. 

A 4th - 5th and Zay

Zay could play the "Robert Woods" role in Taylor's offense and he's still cheap, which the Bengals would like.

Green would be a true #1 for us, make Brown a killer #2 and free up underneath for Beasley.  BPA in the draft, which given this draft is hopefully a skill player.  Green / Brown / Beasley / 1st round WR and we are really giving Josh something to work with.

7 hours ago, Estro said:

Not much.  He's aging, he's been hurt a lot lately, many of which have been lower body injuries (not good for a WR). 

His contract pays him $12.2M this year and is up after this year.  So if you wanted to keep him beyond a 1 year rental, you'd have to pay him.....and he's a player I'd be really nervous about investing any type of big $ in.  

With all that said.....I'd probably be willing to give up a 4th rounder for him if it was assured he was healthy and ready to contribute.  My thinking behind that is if he were to show he still has something left in the tank....he worst case gets you a 4th/5th round compensatory pick if he signs with another team after this season as long as he signs a contract for $8M+ a year.  So you give up a 4th in '20 for a player that can help you in '19 and you can recoup a 4th or 4th in '21 if he signs with another team after the '19 season.......I could live with that

Exactly what he said.

AJ Green has missed 15 games (so far) since 2016 with foot, ankle and toe injuries.

Sure, WRs can sometimes play into their early 30's and still be effective.  But when you combine his age with the injury problems, it becomes a major risk that he will never be the same.  Consider that Torrey Smith just announced his retirement this week (he is 30).  Dez Bryant has been done for two years (he is also 30).  Demaryius Thomas started declining two years ago (he is 32).

There are some non-QBs around the league that I would be willing to part with a 1st Round Pick for.  But AJ Green is no longer one of those guys.  If the Bills want long-term success, it will require consistent high-level drafting every single year.  In my opinion, it's not wise to throw away a premium pick for an aging vet who may never be effective again.  I would consider a 3rd Rounder, on the condition of a contract extension.

• Like (+1) 1