What Would You Give UP for A.J. Green?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Why the Bengals do it:

If the Bengals fall to 0-3 this Sunday things could spiral pretty quickly.  If they have 1 or 2 wins approaching the trade deadline it would make sense for them to deal Green who is 31 and an impending free agent.  The compensation would have to be right, probably at least a first which I would do.

Why the Bills do it:

You would have to see Allen establish himself even a more than he has so far.  If we could get to 3-0 and he looks legit against the Pats, it wouldn't strengthen the reasons to get him.

They Bills would immediately have one of the best receiving groups in the league.  Green and Brown on the outside with Beasley working the middle.  We would have a legit group to rival New England.  You lock up Green for 3 more years and give him big money.  That way his contract ends before we have to lock up some of these young guys.  We would get Green the rest of this season and at 32, 33 and 34.  Green is the type of talent that can still produce at that age.  

I realize this is risky but if Allen continues to progress it is something you have to think about.  A.J. Green has been injured recently but he was still dominant before his injury that ended his season last year.  Giving up a first would be a big price for a 31 year old but the time might be right for this team.

Even if you do lose your first, you are set at WR for the next 3-4 years.  You go into next off-season with a near complete team and still around $60 in cap space.  Re-sign Lawson and you have $50-55 million in space and pretty much no holes and 9 picks.  You would have the time to find Green's replacement in the draft without having to reach for a guy because it's a need.

Moves are being made and I threw out Trent Williams the other day, Ramsey was thrown out tonight, but the guy who is most realistic and would help us the most is Green.  The Bills already tried to make a move for a superstar receiver.  Why not make another for one without all the baggage?  The way Allen has looked so far, I think gives us that much more incentive to do so.  If Allen looks good this Sunday, we go to 3-0 while sending the Bengals to 0-3, and Allen looks continues to look good, we definitely should go for it.

This team at 3-0 would be looking pretty damn good for the playoffs.  You add Green to the mix and it looks all that much better.  Then you are working on a foundation that has made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and I think you enter next season a legit contenders.  

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Not much.  He's aging, he's been hurt a lot lately, many of which have been lower body injuries (not good for a WR). 

His contract pays him $12.2M this year and is up after this year.  So if you wanted to keep him beyond a 1 year rental, you'd have to pay him.....and he's a player I'd be really nervous about investing any type of big $ in.  

With all that said.....I'd probably be willing to give up a 4th rounder for him if it was assured he was healthy and ready to contribute.  My thinking behind that is if he were to show he still has something left in the tank....he worst case gets you a 4th/5th round compensatory pick if he signs with another team after this season as long as he signs a contract for $8M+ a year.  So you give up a 4th in '20 for a player that can help you in '19 and you can recoup a 4th or 4th in '21 if he signs with another team after the '19 season.......I could live with that

• Like (+1) 3

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

He he could be had for less than a first, then I would not hesitate for a second.  Green, Brown and Beasley styles would compliment each other perfectly.  The dominant #1 with great size, great hands and good speed.  The very good #2 who is a elite burner.  The great route running #3 slot guy, who is constantly open.  Imagine how much this would open up the field for everyone.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You'd give a 1st for a 31 year old WR....?

How old are Antonio Brown and Julio Jones?  When healthy, AJ Green is still on that level.  Like I said I would like to trade much less.  

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Easily without question would give up a 4th.  

I would be hesitant for a 3rd, but wouldn’t hate it either, and be reluctant if we they wanted a 2nd given next year should be a great WR draft.

But AJ Green , Smoke, And Beasley would be one hell of a combo going into playoffs to have to defend.  

• Like (+1) 6

I hate bring this up, but with this year’s second, and without trading up, they could have had their choice of A.J. Brown, Mecole Hardman, and DK Metcalf.  And Parris Campbell.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

A 3rd would be good if Green could stay healthy. He is still relatively young, and it would give the Bills time to develop another WR. 

Yeah, but id rather keep the third. With our multiple offense we dont need stars, just good solid players who can follow their assignments.

I would do a 2nd or 3rd. IF we  indeed win and are 3-0.   we would be in plum shape for a playoff run.  Especially with teams that we thought were favored suddenly without QBs (Pitt, Jax, Indy). Add in a favorable schedule with 2 games vs Fish and another against Jets.  D looks like a playoff D.

Maybe it is time to roll the dice and acquire a big time WR and make a run at this thing?  The table is set to make a run.  

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1