Mayfield is << Allen

cage

1 hour ago, jletha said:

He wasnt even a coordinator. He was a RB coach that was moved to interim OC when they fired Hue. He had never had real coordinator experience and never gone through an off season as a coordinator let a lone a HC. Baker and him seemed to have a good relationship which is why they made the move but I think its beginning to show that he isnt ready to be a HC.

Damn. I didn’t even notice that but you’re right. That’s CRAZY. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Damn. I didn’t even notice that but you’re right. That’s CRAZY. 

Yea but not unheard of

Anthony Lynn was pretty much a RB coach his whole career, got promoted to OC for 1 season because Roman was fired and then made interm HC to finish the season

Became the Chargers coach the next season

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea but not unheard of

Anthony Lynn was pretty much a RB coach his whole career, got promoted to OC for 1 season because Roman was fired and then made interm HC to finish the season

Became the Chargers coach the next season

ALynn was an Assistant HC though for years with Rex both in NJ and Buffalo. And we now know he did pretty much all his work. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:39 AM, John from Riverside said:

I think it is important to remember that Josh Allen is not even a finished product

- Very raw coming into the league....despite that....a gamer

- He gets a little help this year....there are NO stars in that group of players Beane brought in....just solid NFL players and young guys that might develop into something....Brown is best suited as a 2.....Cole Beasely is a 3.....we do NOT have a legit number 1 receiver in this group

- The offensive line is giving better protection....but these guys are not like the bills SB offensive lines.....yet

Josh is looking pretty good right now....and I think he will look even better NEXT year as we continue to put pieces around him

Meanwhile....he looks equal to or has surpassed all of the QBs that were drafted ahead of him

We are in good shape

I watched Mayfield in all his bowl games and just was not overly impressed. He had a more pro-ready offense and lots of talent around him, but I did not think his arm was all that. He could read some defense and knew where he needed to go with the ball and had some ability to extend plays. I felt he would be a good fit in a pro offense with good weapons throwing shorter passes with anticipation like Brees. He is also a shorter QB like Brees. Was not sure how much more of a ceiling he had, but he does not lack confidence.

Allen on the other hand had all the tools, but no talent around him, an improvisational offense at Wyoming, and as raw a product as you could find, but I felt his ceiling in the right system could be much higher.

Neither are finished products and the jury is still out on both, but Allen has faced a lot of adversity early and more often than not has elevated his game and gotten better. He keeps it interesting with the throws you don't want him to make that go badly, then you watch him get tripped up by his running back, get up off the ground, run for his life, and side-arm the ball back against the grain on a rope thru a tiny window to his tight end with defensive linemen hanging onto him.

I am content with his progress to date, but the kid is going to give me a heart attack as I cannot recall ever seeing a QB quite like him. I have no idea where his ceiling is, but it is going to be a wild ride finding out.

• Like (+1) 4

This is going to sound stupid coming from an old dude sitting on his couch, but when I watch the Browns I get the distinct impression that Mayfield does not really have a thorough grasp of the Cleveburgh offense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2019 at 2:16 PM, VW82 said:

I think the sample size is too small to do that but if we want to ignore any/all prior context, I think they've both been underwhelming. Baker looks confused every time a defense shows man and flips to zone or vice versa. He's missing open guys. I don't think their offense suits him very well. Josh has made way too many mistakes this year vs. some of the worst defenses in the league. OTOH I thought he played well vs. Giants (also one of the worst defenses in the league). I like both guys' upside. 

I get what you're saying to a certain degree, but the dropoff Mayfield has had since last year, even 3 games in, is quite alarming. But I won't pin it all on him tho, Kitchens has a hand in this as well. But on the flip side of that, they gave him Beckham to throw the ball to, but getting Beckham alone could be detrimental to Mayfield's success given the antics the Giants had to put up with

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 11:59 PM, Protocal69 said:

Could it be that Mayfield is already has reached his peak. 

That can NOT be said about Josh. I have no idea what his peak is, nor do I know if or when he can get there. But the potential is amazing! 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Mayfield tonight:

8-22

100 Yards

2 INTs

2 Fumbles

YIKES! 

So last week was an anomaly not the Browns finally getting things figured out. Quick someone tell the Sports pundits before they all make themselves look stupid.

Kitchens is in way way over his head right now as head coach. Its not his fault, he was put in a position he wasn't ready for. He is not capable of leading this team properly as a head coach at this stage of his career...he was a career position coach who did well calling some plays for half a season...how anyone with any sense thouhht he would be prepared to take over a team as a head coach permanently is beyond me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s pretty clear that Allen is in a much more structured environment than Mayfield. 

Allen has a chance, but does Mayfield at this point?

Cleveland is DYING for some leadership. Buffalo has plenty of it.

We shall see moving forward. ?

On draft night, my QB board was in this order:

1. Baker
  2. Allen
  3. Darnold
  4. Lamar
  5. Rosen (actually liked Mason better, but this is based on the consensus top 5 that were expected to go first).  

So I was not surprised at all when Baker had a strong rookie year.  I also knew he wasn't a finished product yet and this season was no lock to be as great as some expected.  

However, I am surprised his play has fallen off this much.  He's really not playing well right now despite having a lot of weapons around him.  I wonder how much of it is the new coaching staff.  Not trying to make excuses for him, he's really taken a step back out there IMO and he gets to own what he is doing poorly.  

But it makes you wonder how safe the new staff is given how disappointing the offense has been despite adding more talent like OBJ.  There is a reason people say NFL stands for Not For Long.  This team was expected to compete for a division title and SB this year...if they keep looking like this, wonder if the next coaching changes could be coming in Cle.

Edited by Alphadawg7