cage

Mayfield is << Allen

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

I can't fathom how this guy is always overlooked as one of the best in the league.  It's hard to put people in any specific order but it almost has to be mahomes rodgers and wilson right?  Brady and Brees are right there but when it comes down to it they are both in their 40s.  Still amazing QBs, still 2 guys you would never want to face - but they were better in years past.  

The seahawks defense was like dismantled last year had everyone predicting them going 4-12 and they won 10 games.  Wilson has never missed a game.  Has great numbers.. plays his best football in the 4th quarter.. Has almost 4000 yards rushing and another 20 TDs on the ground.  Guy's a baller.

Wilson is unreal. Phenomenal quarterback.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....not surprising..........

Richard Sherman annoyed at Baker Mayfield’s handshake snub

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 8, 2019, 6:12 AM EDT

Richard Sherman was annoyed with Baker Mayfield before the game even started.

In fact, it was the Browns quarterback’s refusal to shake hands during the pregame coin toss that had the 49ers corner on edge.

“What’s amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning,” Sherman told Mike Silver of NFL.com. “That’s some college s—. It’s ridiculous. We’re all trying to get psyched up, but shaking hands with your opponent — that’s NFL etiquette. And when you pull bush league stuff, that’s disrespectful to the game. And believe me, that’s gonna get us fired up.”

Apparently it did, as Sherman picked off Mayfield two minutes into the game. Sherman wasn’t the only one to take a shot at Mayfield on a miserable night, as Nick Bosa clowned his college-era flag-waving celebration.

Sherman said it was particularly offensive for a young player to not participate in the perfunctory ritual.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/08/richard-sherman-annoyed-at-baker-mayfields-handshake-snub/

Sherman arguing about bush league is priceless!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Look - I am not going to try and equate anything we currently see with long term success.  You saw some of the traits last year that you are seeing this year from Mayfield, but it was all done under a cover of anonymity.  

The Browns were coming off a winless season and although very talented they showed very little cohesion.  Baker became a de facto on field leader and Greg Williams (uggh) got the team prepared and they won games.  The hiring of Kitchens to placate Baker and then the bringing in of offensive and defensive talent ramped up the pressure, but ultimately has lead to the team being a train wreck from a coaching and leadership standpoint.

Baker has taken a major step back, but by the end of the season - his numbers will end up fine - they may even win the division and make the playoffs, but right now I doubt it.  The issue I would have is the lack of progress shown.  He looks less prepared and less able to handle the pressure than he did as a rookie.  Allen on the other hand has shown progression and growth and has come a long way to show true leadership under high pressure situations.

Baker was significantly better than Allen last year, but has regressed and is now behind Allen.  Allen had a long way to go, but has passed Baker at this point and time, but the important question is future development.  Can Allen continue to grow and does Baker return to his 2018 form.  The future for both players is yet to be written and I am not willing to say one is going to be better based on small snippets of the season.  

Good take.

Mayfield does not look good under pressure - at least not the games I have watched him in - including last night.     Most quarterbacks aren't great under pressure.

Allen spent a lot of his time in college under pressure and has a lot more experience in those situations.   I think that experience helps him in the pros.

Both guys have the potential to be outstanding quarterbacks if given enough time to develop behind good offensive lines.     If either one is stuck behind a rotten offensive line or stuck with an offensive coordinator who sucks, then I think either has the potential to end up as a backup.

Fortunately for us, it appears the Bills have found a decent up and coming offensive coordinator and also upgraded player talent on the offensive line.   If they upgrade the talent on the offensive line by the same amount next year without regressing elsewhere, this team could finally become dominant.   

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

because it doesn't support the analytics community's biases. they use college production to predict NFL production. Mayfield was productive in college in a big-time program and Allen was a nobody, nobody school with no record of production. So Mayfield gets more benefit of the doubt 

Case in point, straight from this week!

"Owns FBS, American Athletic Conference and ECU career (399) and single-season (158) standards in receptions"

https://ecupirates.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=696

A shame that Zay Jones, who owns these records, could not translate his game in the NFL. Stats are just one part of an equation...

• Thanks! (+1) 1

The talking heads will continue to piss on Allen because he is a small college QB on a small market team.

He isn’t allowed to grow into his role in this instant gratification society.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The talking heads will continue to piss on Allen because he is a small college QB on a small market team.

He isn’t allowed to grow into his role in this instant gratification society.

Or it’s because he has a career 70 qb rating.  Some of you just look to be outraged. Our defense constantly gets praised because they are legit awesome.  I think Allen has improved in some areas but he is far from a star qb at this point.  

Trust me, if he gets to a legit level, he will get plenty of praise.  How many qbs with that low of a rating get national attention?

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Both are pretty bad stat lines if you’re being honest.  Once again, it just shows football is the ultimate team game.  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Or it’s because he has a career 70 qb rating.  Some of you just look to be outraged. Our defense constantly gets praised because they are legit awesome.  I think Allen has improved in some areas but he is far from a star qb at this point.  

Trust me, if he gets to a legit level, he will get plenty of praise.  How many qbs with that low of a rating get national attention?

...LMAO!!...from YOU Bisquit?......I'll be "tanning in Hell's Kitchen" before that ever happens.....:D.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Imo,  Allen is completely under rated.  I know PFF wants to make Bill's fans seem delusional for saying this.  Allen is being taught the position.  They are giving him field reads, I dont see alot of scripted 1 read throws this year.  Through 15 games hes got more wins then losses.  4 comeback wins, 5 game winning drives.  

I think Allen has improved in some areas but I do think having the #2 defense is the main reason for our wins.  Mayfield, despite his regression, won’t be 2-3 here as with most qbs.  Allen has a great advantage a lot of qbs don’t.  

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO!!...from YOU Bisquit?......I'll be "tanning in Hell's Kitchen" before that ever happens.....:D.

Haha, I mean I’d love to. I think he has improved his short passing accuracy.  I still think he is a bit of a roller coaster and I would love a more consistent guy.  For instance, and it wasn’t all on him, if we didn’t have a great D, that Jets game could have been over in the first half.  

I just would like to say once and for all that we have a really good qb without making excuses why his stats are so bad.  But it’s a long season, we are 4-1, so hopefully we will see more growth. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think Allen has improved in some areas but I do think having the #2 defense is the main reason for our wins.  Mayfield, despite his regression, won’t be 2-3 here as with most qbs.  Allen has a great advantage a lot of qbs don’t.  

...OMG!....Allen praise from Da Biscuit?........taking three Excedrin with a pint of Bourbon and laying down...my evening is upside down with this "breaking news".....:D...I may call 911 to check on you..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, cage said:

I watched most of the Browns/Jets game tonight and this is the first time I saw Faker Playfield outside of highlight clips.  

I corrected the spelling for you. I don't put much faith in the NY Jets' forum, but they did have this one correct.

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

On draft night, but QB board was in order:

1. Baker
  2. Allen
  3. Darnold
  4. Lamar
  5. Rosen (actually liked Mason better, but this is based on the consensus top 5 that were expected to go first).  

Whose QB board?

9 minutes ago, egd said:

I corrected the spelling for you. I don't put much faith in the NY Jets' forum, but they did have this one correct.

Whose QB board?

Ha typo.  That was my board, I will fix

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Ha typo.  That was my board, I will fix

Got it. Thanks!

Didn’t look it up to verify but they said on radio that mayfield is the worst starting QB in the league right now statistically. Only guy below him at all, including backups, is Luke Falk. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

lets pretend situtational analysis has nothing to with it.  Mayfield was benched last night. The guy either sucks or spent his off season reading his press clippings instead of preparing.  

I know I shouldn't care about Jon Ledyard but the stunning bias on display here blows my mind.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Richard Smollett??

"Richard Sherman's so smart"   Yeah, he's so smart he doesn't think there will be video evidence.  WTF 

I don't know how Mayfield will respond, but I do think the offseason stuff gets blown out of proportion. What I'm observing is that teams are taking away the throws he's capable of making and daring him to beat them on those that require more arm strength. That arm is nothing special and teams adjust. 

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kyler is a different player than Baker. Same college scheme but Kyler is much more athletic and that allows him to adjust in ways that Baker cannot. I always thought Baker was a more accurate passer than Kyler but Baker is so inaccurate now. Worst completion % in the league which i know doesn’t tell the whole story but he also leads in INTs

An extra half second or even fraction of a second from the OL can make a huge difference to completion percentage for a QB, especially to a young QB still learning to process what he sees.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Well that's why I said it is possible he is losing it

But typically someone that driven who had a crazy work ethic doesn't loose it that quick... Unless he gets too full of himself too quick

It's also like I said pre draft... he was sooo polished it is possible he was close to being maxed out

Typically doesn't happen with 22 year old QBs but he already maxed out his frame, had tremendous touch and anticipation. His room for growth wasn't as much as like a guy like Allen or Lamar or even Darnold

He came in day 1 ready

Losing it?

If he's losing it already, he never had it.

Just now, inaugural balls said:

Losing it?

If he's losing it already, he never had it.

That's actually not a fact

Lots of people have lost a great work ethic do to a variety of different reasons

Again he walked on at 2 D1 schools and won QB jobs... He had to have a tremendous work ethic to do that