Mayfield is << Allen

cage

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This team was expected to compete for a division title and SB this year...if they keep looking like this, wonder if the next coaching changes could be coming in Cle.

Luckily for them they are in the AFC north so they are very much still in it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Luckily for them they are in the AFC north so they are very much still in it. 

True, good point.  But if they keep playing like this they may not be after too much longer.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

It is funny. On here, Facebook, TV, etc. people make excuses for Baker. It's his OL's fault, his HC's fault, his diva WR's fault and Baker will come around - he's just a young struggling QB.

Meanwhile, Allen is 4-1. The only team he has lost to in his last 8 games is being predicted to go 16-0 and just won another Super Bowl. Yet, all people can talk about with Allen is his bad plays. We dissect every single throw. We talk for a week about when he missed a wide open Zay who is running slower than Kelvin.

Why do people always criticize Allen so much and make excuses for Baker? Baker's stats suck. The Browns are a trainwreck - and by the way, they were said to be one of the most talented in the NFL before the season and now they are hurting Baker's development??? Or maybe HE is hurting them!

Not to mention, Allen plays with more heart than anyone I can remember seeing and Baker spends more time worrying about how to get Rex with a good zinger than getting his team on the right track. His attitude is even worse than his horrendous play.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, BigBobby said:

Why do people always criticize Allen so much and make excuses for Baker?

I agree that it’s frustrating, but if you think the Bills got the better deal with Allen, then who cares?

I was looking at the Browns Watercooler forum tonight, and they are starting threads already that Allen is better, so it probably won’t take long for the opinion to become mainstream..

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

It’s clear Mayfield’s ceiling is much lower than Allen’s. Allen has all the tools to be a good QB. Mayfield has talent but nights like this make you wonder. 

Elite

Can he live up to them, hard to say, i think he will be a Russell Wilson type , great but not elite but that will be good enough to win Superbowls.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I’m waiting for Baker to have a Ryan Leaf like meltdown.... I don’t think he is use to struggling. 

I checked out his post-game press conference and to his credit he handled it well.  I was half-expecting him to be in meltdown mode as well

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

On draft night, but QB board was in order:

1. Baker
  2. Allen
  3. Darnold
  4. Lamar
  5. Rosen (actually liked Mason better, but this is based on the consensus top 5 that were expected to go first).  

So I was not surprised at all when Baker had a strong rookie year.  I also knew he wasn't a finished product yet and this season was no lock to be as great as some expected.  

However, I am surprised his play has fallen off this much.  He's really not playing well right now despite having a lot of weapons around him.  I wonder how much of it is the new coaching staff.  Not trying to make excuses for him, he's really taken a step back out there IMO and he gets to own what he is doing poorly.  

But it makes you wonder how safe the new staff is given how disappointing the offense has been despite adding more talent like OBJ.  There is a reason people say NFL stands for Not For Long.  This team was expected to compete for a division title and SB this year...if they keep looking like this, wonder if the next coaching changes could be coming in Cle.

I think the staff is in way over as over their own heads, but after they struggle in the next 2 games Seahawks/Pats - they have a bunch of games the rest of the season they should be in.

I unfortunately think they will still be competing with Baltimore for the division title come the last 2 weeks and I think that will keep the coaching staff safe - even if they should make a change.  

A bad division will will end up masking a lot of issues later and will actually hurt the Browns long term as they won’t make the needed changes.

JMO

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Elite

Can he live up to them, hard to say, i think he will be a Russell Wilson type , great but not elite but that will be good enough to win Superbowls.

Umm, Russell Wilson is elite.  It's a crime he isn't mentioned right along with Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, etc., when folks are talking about the best QBs in the game.  If Russell continues to play at this level he's a first ballot HOFer.

• Like (+1) 12

On 9/16/2019 at 11:52 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yes. Besides the bravado and antics the dude TWICE WALKED ON at D1 programs and won starting jobs

You can say whatever u want about Baker and he may have regressed a little but his work ethic shouldn't be questioned

He obviously busts his butt in the film and weight room to get to where he is. Maybe he is losing it

He has a dad body at 24? Come on now. If him and Chase Daniels had a love child it would be the next Jay Cutler.

Everyone has bad games and one of the picks should have been a TD but woof.

If I'm Cleveland I'm worried about Mayfield.  And the run defense doesn't exactly look good.  They got torn up last night and against the Titans.  That is sure a cause for concern.

5 hours ago, BigBobby said:

It is funny. On here, Facebook, TV, etc. people make excuses for Baker. It's his OL's fault, his HC's fault, his diva WR's fault and Baker will come around - he's just a young struggling QB.

Meanwhile, Allen is 4-1. The only team he has lost to in his last 8 games is being predicted to go 16-0 and just won another Super Bowl. Yet, all people can talk about with Allen is his bad plays. We dissect every single throw. We talk for a week about when he missed a wide open Zay who is running slower than Kelvin.

Why do people always criticize Allen so much and make excuses for Baker? Baker's stats suck. The Browns are a trainwreck - and by the way, they were said to be one of the most talented in the NFL before the season and now they are hurting Baker's development??? Or maybe HE is hurting them!

Not to mention, Allen plays with more heart than anyone I can remember seeing and Baker spends more time worrying about how to get Rex with a good zinger than getting his team on the right track. His attitude is even worse than his horrendous play.

Can you imagine how many pages there'd be on here about Allen if he put up a stinker like that? 

Heck after NE the Barkley talk as the better option was real here.

What I like the most about Josh is progression. There will be bad games (Pats) but he's doing things this year he wasn't last year. Accuracy way up, throwing the ball away, hero ball slowing down (obviously not gone), taking sacks instead of launching impossible passes...and all the things we know remain: arm strength, leadership, 4th quarter/clutch, shakes off the bad plays, teammates love him. 

The biggest issue right now is what he does in broken plays. He's as likely to make a SportsCenter highlight as throw a cringeworthy INT. But even that looks better to me. 

Josh looks like a guy developing a floor like Jake Plummer (4th quarter stud, incredibly fun to watch, loses games with bad INTs sometimes) and an upside at Favre. They are still filling in some pieces around him (like a big body target WR, a RT, and a more reliable TE) but it's coming together and a lot of that is his ability to make people better. 

The fact that he was drafted as a 2-3 year project and he just finished his 16th game to me puts him right on track. 

Mayfield on the other hand may be what his negatives were coming out of college. Maxed out his potential. Teams may figure him out. The GM there did the exact wrong thing in investing a ton of $$ in a skill position lunatic and not spending on the line. The anti-Patriots strategy. But the Browns gonna Browns.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Can you imagine how many pages there'd be on here about Allen if he put up a stinker like that? 

Heck after NE the Barkley talk as the better option was real here.

Niners D is one of the better ones in the NFL, but Mayfield looks bad by any measure. 

His commercials are funny though. 

Edited by Sundancer

31 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

What I like the most about Josh is progression. There will be bad games (Pats) but he's doing things this year he wasn't last year. Accuracy way up, throwing the ball away, hero ball slowing down (obviously not gone), taking sacks instead of launching impossible passes...and all the things we know remain: arm strength, leadership, 4th quarter/clutch, shakes off the bad plays, teammates love him. 

The biggest issue right now is what he does in broken plays. He's as likely to make a SportsCenter highlight as throw a cringeworthy INT. But even that looks better to me. 

Josh looks like a guy developing a floor like Jake Plummer (4th quarter stud, incredibly fun to watch, loses games with bad INTs sometimes) and an upside at Favre. They are still filling in some pieces around him (like a big body target WR, a RT, and a more reliable TE) but it's coming together and a lot of that is his ability to make people better. 

The fact that he was drafted as a 2-3 year project and he just finished his 16th game to me puts him right on track. 

Mayfield on the other hand may be what his negatives were coming out of college. Maxed out his potential. Teams may figure him out. The GM there did the exact wrong thing in investing a ton of $$ in a skill position lunatic and not spending on the line. The anti-Patriots strategy. But the Browns gonna Browns.

Niners D is one of the better ones in the NFL, but Mayfield looks bad by any measure. 

His commercials are funny though. 

And so is NE's........   Frankly NE's is much better......

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Elite

You sure about that?  Wilson is the NFL MVP right now. Dude is playing out of his mind...12 TDs 0 INT's completing over 73% of his passes for a ridiculous QB rating of 126.3

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1