Mayfield is << Allen

cage

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, it is really.

We truly don't need to rehash the whole Whaley was the worst GM ever/Whaley brought in talent/but was it a team?/Rex was the problem/Rex ruined Whaley's talent/Rex was treated unfairly    blahblah, 3 years after Whaley hit the road, *during a thread that is about 2 QB who weren't in the league nor even drafted the last time Whaley was*

Horse.  Dead.  Whacking.  Let it go.

You’re over blowing it, it’s merely a reference of doing team building the wrong way. No one was rehashing his entire tenure with the Bills. Just sayin...

10 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I believed prior to the draft and still believe to this day that if Allen were at Oklahoma with Lincoln Riley and that talent he would have been the #1 pick by a country mile and Baker at Wyoming is likely mid 1st territory. 

Baker at Wyoming? If that had been the case, he would have been drafted after Mason Rudolph. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Absolutely spot on. Wilson has grown into an upper echelon QB; however, he was a QB averaging 195 - 220 YPG during their SB years. Interestingly enough, so many fans want to equate an elite QB with 300 YD passing games, yet in his 8 full seasons, Wilson averaged more than 250 YPG once, and averaged about one 300 YD game per season. Also, as his average per game has gone up, his playoff appearances have gone down. 

Wilson did not start out as an elite QB, yet, he was given that reputation, IMO, before he earned it.

Simply put, fantasy football, we  now have a crowd that roots for numbers and as you say equates it with being elite. The problem of course being context or lack of attention to the context by many.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I enjoy how the Baker apologists say it's not his fault he threw a ball in the dirt from 8 yards away that Callaway popped up, but if it were Allen they would be saying that lack of accuracy is why he'll never make it.

Allens pass to Beasley against the Jets was better then that and he got ridiculed for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...just my personal preference, but I like Allen's humility, respect for the game, diligent work ethic and "WE" versus "ME" attitude......quote was, "OUR team and OUR family"....kid is never seeking the ME spotlight..........

We are building a class, character, and winning organization built on a team, not divas! It's a sign of the times that many on TBD want selfish superstars that provide a couple minutes of excitement rather than the boring climb to the top and longevity!

2 minutes ago, vorpma said:

We are building a class, character, and winning organization built on a team, not divas! It's a sign of the times that many on TBD want selfish superstars that provide a couple minutes of excitement rather than the boring climb to the top and longevity!

...GREAT assessment......it has been a long, LONG time coming...............:thumbsup:.

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I really do believe in their talent.  But I don’t get why they couldn’t have just like FK be the OC. Was he that in demand? Also going into the season with Greg Robinson as your LT should get someone fired.  That’s a team that should be all over Trent Williams.  

Good news is if they keep losing, Bills fans will take over their field when we play them.

Freddie got the job because Baker loved him and John Dorsey was scared he’d leave if he gave the job to Greg Williams... I told my buddies last year it would come back to haunt them. 

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair to Baker, when a QB knows well that his pocket could collapse like a Mumbai construction project at any time, it's hard to trust it and stay home.

One of my only concerns about Baker coming out of OU is that he routinely had 4+ seconds to throw the ball, and I had no clue how he'd respond to having less than 3 in the NFL.

That could end up being a problem for him in the short-term. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield’s college numbers are the result of him being a “system“ quarterback. Specifically, he was in a one read system. He completed a zillion short passes skewing his statistics. His temperament is a potential negative issue. As the number one pick overall I predicted he had high bust potential.Admittedly, it’s early, but right now he looks like a decent back up to me. His skill set does not transfer well to the NFL

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

Mayfield’s college numbers are the result of him being a “system“ quarterback. Specifically, he was in a one read system. He completed a zillion short passes skewing his statistics. His temperament is a potential negative issue. As the number one pick overall I predicted he had high bust potential.Admittedly, it’s early, but right now he looks like a decent back up to me. His skill set does not transfer well to the NFL

He did set a rookie td record and they added a top 5 receiver.   I think most people are pretty shocked how bad he looks.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Talent doesn't matter if the team is dysfunctional. Any bills fan should understand that after Doug Whaley's tenure.

dysfunction gets ignored when you win too. Plenty of dysfunctional winners out there 

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

You sure about that?  Wilson is the NFL MVP right now. Dude is playing out of his mind...12 TDs 0 INT's completing over 73% of his passes for a ridiculous QB rating of 126.3

I can't fathom how this guy is always overlooked as one of the best in the league.  It's hard to put people in any specific order but it almost has to be mahomes rodgers and wilson right?  Brady and Brees are right there but when it comes down to it they are both in their 40s.  Still amazing QBs, still 2 guys you would never want to face - but they were better in years past.  

The seahawks defense was like dismantled last year had everyone predicting them going 4-12 and they won 10 games.  Wilson has never missed a game.  Has great numbers.. plays his best football in the 4th quarter.. Has almost 4000 yards rushing and another 20 TDs on the ground.  Guy's a baller.

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He did set a rookie td record and they added a top 5 receiver.   I think most people are pretty shocked how bad he looks.  

Yep - offensive line is killing him, and he has no trust in them.  So he's bailing out a lot and second guessing himself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/23/2019 at 8:56 AM, fan_in_tx said:

The #1 we should really be questioning is Kyler Murray ..  If you watched his career through HS and College he was flat out great.  He looks lost in Pro offense. 

I'm always suspicious of these guys that played one year in college for these big time programs.  At least half those games are blowouts against vastly overrated opponents (probably 75% if you're Haskins at OSU) so these guys just haven't played enough real, competitive football.  It doesn't mean they won't develop, but seems pretty high risk compared to a guy like Daniel Jones who was a 3 year starter on a team that played mostly solid competition and wasn't steamrolling anyone.

"Baker is just a sober Johnny Manziel."

Ah, where to begin?  He started off by criticizing his former coach, then injected himself into a teammate's contract/trade demands and currently has a tiff going on with Rex Ryan. 

Baker doesn't have the mental makeup of a successful QB.  To top it off, he struggles to make reads fron the pocket. 

Steve Young is 100% right when he speaks about Mayfield.  Less bravado and focus on your craft.  The QB position is hard enough by itself, why add more stress to the position?  Idiot.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:56 AM, fan_in_tx said:

The #1 we should really be questioning is Kyler Murray ..  If you watched his career through HS and College he was flat out great.  He looks lost in Pro offense. 

Kyler is adjusting fine, from what I can tell.

His play has been solid for a first year guy.

Just now, KD in CA said:

I'm always suspicious of these guys that played one year in college for these big time programs.  At least half those games are blowouts against vastly overrated opponents (probably 75% if you're Haskins at OSU) so these guys just haven't played enough real, competitive football.  It doesn't mean they won't develop, but seems pretty high risk compared to a guy like Daniel Jones who was a 3 year starter on a team that played mostly solid competition and wasn't steamrolling anyone.

I mean - it comes down to the player and development.  I think a stronger o-line and run game is beneficial to a young QB and you're seeing that with someone like Prescott.  Houston's trade to help watson also comes to mind.  Wentz and Goff improved with improved line play.  

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Allens pass to Beasley against the Jets was better then that and he got ridiculed for it. 

People still bring up "he turned the ball over four times in one half" when literally none of those turnovers were the result of bad decision-making, sloppiness, carelessness with the football, etc.  Not that Allen isn't occasionally reckless of course, but the amount of grief this guy gets over plays that come up in practically every game played in the NFL is amazing.

27 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I can't fathom how this guy is always overlooked as one of the best in the league.  It's hard to put people in any specific order but it almost has to be mahomes rodgers and wilson right?  Brady and Brees are right there but when it comes down to it they are both in their 40s.  Still amazing QBs, still 2 guys you would never want to face - but they were better in years past.  

The seahawks defense was like dismantled last year had everyone predicting them going 4-12 and they won 10 games.  Wilson has never missed a game.  Has great numbers.. plays his best football in the 4th quarter.. Has almost 4000 yards rushing and another 20 TDs on the ground.  Guy's a baller.

Yep - offensive line is killing him, and he has no trust in them.  So he's bailing out a lot and second guessing himself.

He definitely looks rattled.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But his Heart is built on bluster and bravado and that's a fragile thing.  If you use negativity to motivate yourself, you walk a thin line between motivation and carrying the weight of it.  I think Mayfield is starting to feel the weight.

There was something either said by or about Allen last year when talking about dealing with all the criticism he gets. Basically it was that it wasn't about prooving people wrong but prooving himself right.