Mayfield is << Allen

cage

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Elite

Can he live up to them, hard to say, i think he will be a Russell Wilson type , great but not elite but that will be good enough to win Superbowls.

You think Russell Wilson is not elite?

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Elite

Can he live up to them, hard to say, i think he will be a Russell Wilson type , great but not elite but that will be good enough to win Superbowls.

Wilson is elite. 

I'd say his worst case of all existing QBs is Matthew Stafford. Not from a tools perspective but from wins and losses. His floor is like that. Could play a decade and have many great games and lay some eggs too. But Josh's style at his floor reminds me a lot more of Jake Plummer. 

28 minutes ago, JinxedBill said:

Biggest problem is Cleveland is they have a ton of talent and no leadership.  You need both talent and leadership/heart.  They go hand and hand.  That’s my take anyway. I like Mayfield but I think he’s getting caught up in the churn. 

I think hes actually caught up in building a brand...not football.  

He even looks out of shape. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

I think hes actually caught up in building a brand...not football.  

He even looks out of shape. 

He's not a great athlete.  People were expecting a Russell Wilson like jitterbug.  Baker is short, slow and has a beer belly.  You can run around and make all kinds of plays in the Big 12 that are just sacks and picks in the NFL.

7 hours ago, BigBobby said:

It is funny. On here, Facebook, TV, etc. people make excuses for Baker. It's his OL's fault, his HC's fault, his diva WR's fault and Baker will come around - he's just a young struggling QB.

Meanwhile, Allen is 4-1. The only team he has lost to in his last 8 games is being predicted to go 16-0 and just won another Super Bowl. Yet, all people can talk about with Allen is his bad plays. We dissect every single throw. We talk for a week about when he missed a wide open Zay who is running slower than Kelvin.

Why do people always criticize Allen so much and make excuses for Baker? Baker's stats suck. The Browns are a trainwreck - and by the way, they were said to be one of the most talented in the NFL before the season and now they are hurting Baker's development??? Or maybe HE is hurting them!

Not to mention, Allen plays with more heart than anyone I can remember seeing and Baker spends more time worrying about how to get Rex with a good zinger than getting his team on the right track. His attitude is even worse than his horrendous play.

One word - expectations!

quote-give-a-man-a-reputation-as-an-earl

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/16/2019 at 10:52 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yes. Besides the bravado and antics the dude TWICE WALKED ON at D1 programs and won starting jobs

You can say whatever u want about Baker and he may have regressed a little but his work ethic shouldn't be questioned

He obviously busts his butt in the film and weight room to get to where he is. Maybe he is losing it

I thought a guy here who knew a guy said this year in Cle Baker has not been putting in the time

Maybe he let the shirtless car ads with the Tiger and "At Home with Baker Mayfield" go to his head

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I enjoy how the Baker apologists say it's not his fault he threw a ball in the dirt from 8 yards away that Callaway popped up, but if it were Allen they would be saying that lack of accuracy is why he'll never make it.

This is exactly why I'm enjoying this year's Browns.  Ordinarily I would feel empathy for the Brownies fans as my brothers and sisters in suffering.

But I heard one too many pundits fawning over Baker pre-draft and last season while prognosticating that Allen is such an inaccurate QB he has less than 0 probability to make it in the NFL.  Anyone looking at Allen's cheesecloth OL and the Bills total and complete lack of run game last year not to mention their sorry-ass WR corps was held to be rationalizing and making excuses.

Now we see that a decent OL is in fact a QB's best friend and if a QB thinks he's arrived after a decent rookie season and maybe slacks off in the prep, well, THIS.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

It’s pretty clear that Allen is in a much more structured environment than Mayfield. 

Allen has a chance, but does Mayfield at this point?

Cleveland is DYING for some leadership. Buffalo has plenty of it.

We shall see moving forward. ?

Baker could benefit from the wise tutelage of Rex Ryan. :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

He's not a great athlete.  People were expecting a Russell Wilson like jitterbug.  Baker is short, slow and has a beer belly.  You can run around and make all kinds of plays in the Big 12 that are just sacks and picks in the NFL.

He's not Russ Wilson and hopefully no one savvy expected this.  But there was way more to Baker's college game than running around.  He had great field vision, and he showed great accuracy and decision making and just enough mobility to make it happen.

There are 2 things:

1) Football starts in the trenches.  And if a guy is playing "run for your life" he needs a special brand of discipline and the right players and play calling around him to get it done

And he'll still make more mistakes.  But few were willing to make allowance for Allen's poor OL last year in Wyo and last year here.

2) People confuse bluster and bravado with Heart.  Obviously Mayfield believed in himself in order to walk on 2x at D1 schools and start.  But his Heart is built on bluster and bravado and that's a fragile thing.  If you use negativity to motivate yourself, you walk a thin line between motivation and carrying the weight of it.  I think Mayfield is starting to feel the weight.

27 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Let's chill on calling Baker trash.

This happens to 2nd year QBs when DCs have 16 games of film on them.

He's a kid. He'll learn, he'll improve, and he'll be back.

Of course, in the meantime, it's entirely reasonable to call him an a-hole.

Not calling him trash, but do you really think it's just 16 games of film that's the issue here?