Mayfield is << Allen

cage

Just now, dave mcbride said:

People are aware that he's playing hurt, right? He was very accurate in game one until he injured his throwing hand, after which his accuracy declined. He is definitely not back to 100 percent yet. 

i forgot about that you're right that could def be an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Greggo completely bamboozled Mayfield last night. Maybe just a case of an experienced DC getting the better of a young QB. Or maybe Baker has issues making (or attempting to make) adjustments based on post snap reads. If so, the question becomes whether with experience he can develop this skill. If he can't he will certainly be limited.

I was surprised to see how inaccurate some of his passes were last night even when he was going where he should with it. If he doesn't clean this up soon he's looking at a lot of turnovers coming up.

Reminds me of this:

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Last year, yes he did look good. I also don't want this to sound like I'm calling him out and I don't follow CLE that much on twitter, but I really didn't see or hear much about his offseason and working on his craft in the NFL. I have seen in here a lot talking about college, that is fine and dandy, but this is the big leagues now...

Even though I live in Cleveland, I don't follow their offseason that closely but I know he had workouts with his receivers during the offseason like so many other QBs.  Last year he came in and ran their offense well the entire year.  Checks, progressions, spreading the ball around to the open man so I felt he prepared very well last year.  Again, not sure the problem but I'm not ready to doubt him just yet.  The entire offense has looked bad.  Yesterday it seemed geared around getting Landry and OBJ the ball as their top 2 priorities.  No balance.

• Like (+1) 1

I find it interesting in a Bills fan forum how aggressively people are defending Mayfield. So far this season his summary grade = sucks.    It is not like the titans and jets are the top defenses in the league though. And teams had a full off season to review a year of tape on him.  He may just be mired in a classic sophomore slump.   He may get better. He may not. 

11 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

If Allen wins us a Super Bowl I don't care if the media wants to claim Mayfield, Darnold & Jackson are better.  All that matters is Allen is the best QB for the Buffalo Bills.  Very similar to when Kelly was rated behind Elway & Marino among the class of 1983.   

100% agree. I still, to this day, would rather have Kelly over either one!!! I always loved Kelly's attitude, toughness and ability to rally the team. Marino and Elway were WAY more ego-centric. I think Kelly was too, but more-so early on. But, I think the Bickering Bills in '89 straighten out his goals and approach to the game.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Even though I live in Cleveland, I don't follow their offseason that closely but I know he had workouts with his receivers during the offseason like so many other QBs.  Last year he came in and ran their offense well the entire year.  Checks, progressions, spreading the ball around to the open man so I felt he prepared very well last year.  Again, not sure the problem but I'm not ready to doubt him just yet.  The entire offense has looked bad.  Yesterday it seemed geared around getting Landry and OBJ the ball as their top 2 priorities.  No balance.

I don't want it to sound like I'm writing him off, on all the rooks from last year, the book is still be written and they are developing. Brownies also don't have a great OL which will hurt and by having bigger name WRs, you have to feed them, which could stunt you as an offense overall by forcing it too much as you point out. This is another reason why I am glad we are under the radar this year, would rather have Allen focus on developing and now trying to placate WRs, RBS, TEs and the national media. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, cage said:

I watched most of the Browns/Jets game tonight and this is the first time I saw Baker Mayfield outside of highlight clips.  Color me unimpressed.  I'll have to watch a bit more of him, but based on tonights game, I would consider Josh Allen the better QB, hands down.  

-- Less than 50% accuracy

-- Nearly got his TE killed.  I can imagine how many times we'd see that clip and the commentary if Allen made a throw like that

-- Consistently high and off target, with the exception of two long passes to OBJ

-- Poor decision making

-- Erratic while rolling right trying to evade pressure.  Allen is often at his best on those types of throws 

Allen would be crucified for having a game like Mayfield had tonight.

Since they both played the same defense a week apart there is something worthwhile to compare there.

Jets D really different without Mosley btw.  

FWIW that slant OBJ took to the house was the same slant Allen threw behind Zay incomplete.  Would love to have seen him catch it just to see if he can RAC. 

• Like (+1) 1

Far too early to tell on both Allen and Baker. Baker got off to a slow start last year too and finished strong, maybe he is just a rhythm type guy who plays better deeper into a season? As far as Josh he looked like ass in the first half against the Jets but showed up to win the game and took care of business well against a bad Giants team. Not exactly a grand resume. The NFL season might only be 16 games and week to week people go crazy but you still have to keep things in perspective. 

16 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Does he really seem like the type of player to study & watch tape?

Or take constructive criticism 

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Reminds me of this:

Thats pretty funny .... I belive Beli has been doing the same for decades 

3 hours ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

This fills my heart with joy

On 9/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, Ralonzo said:

Play-by-play, no, he did not look like ass. This is more fak... uhhh, media reinforcement of an erroneous assertion.

He didn't look awful on every play obviously. But he was very up and down and overall I would say that he played poorly that first half. I place blame for all turnovers but the Beasley tip to some degree on Josh. The fumbled snap and other tip ball turnover weren't fully his fault but I think he bares some responsibility for those turnovers. 

I also think the he looked uncomfortable at times and really inconsistent. Of course he turned that around for the most part in the second half and he turned it around against the Giants. But every player has bad half's and bad games. I am not sure how good Cincy's defense is but after Cincy you have two tough defenses in NE and TEN coming up. By the end of 5 games we will really have a good sense of where Josh is at development wise. 

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

To date, Baker has shown way more than Josh or any other QB from the 2018 class. It's anyone's guess who will turn out to be the best. 

Baker was pro-ready coming into the Draft, and played well last year.  No doubt. 

This year, all these guys “year 2” is much more important as adjustments have been made, growth/maturity is happening and these QBs are beginning to develop.  

Not sure what to make of Darnold yet and Rosen is a mess.  That leaves Allen, Jackson and Baker.  Baker has the best weapons of any of the young guys, but Allen and Jackson look to be separating from the pack.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

To date, Baker has shown way more than Josh or any other QB from the 2018 class. It's anyone's guess who will turn out to be the best. 

Are you watching this miserable trash on TV? You can't be, because Baker looks terrible. It's anyone's guess why you would say such a thing when there is mounting evidence this is not the case.

P.S. LAMAR JACKSON is better than Baker at this point, so there is that.

• Like (+1) 2