Mayfield is << Allen

cage

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But typically someone that driven who had a crazy work ethic doesn't loose it that quick... Unless he gets too full of himself too quick

Baker doesn't seem like the type to get too full of himself too...

LOL

I can't

He seems exactly like that type

The main concern about Mayfield coming out of college, was the classic "he is too short" problem.  And while Drew Brees is a radical exception to that rule, it has shown to be a problem for many other talented but shorter QBs.   

Last night we went up against a defensive coordinator who saw Mayfield for a full season live in practice last year.  This has to provide a lot more insight for game planning than simply watching game films.   I can't say I know what the Jets defense specifically did different than other defenses, but Mayfield looked like he was throwing out of hole last night. Quite a few passes knocked down, and a launch angle requiring his receivers to leave their feet ( and pay a big physical price) to catch balls he through out of the pocket. Greg Williams may have provided the defensive template to beat up on Mayfield last night.

I also had some understanding that Mayfield was mobile, but that sure was not on display last night.  

A lot of homerism here.  Mayfield has shown it in college and last year as a rookie, he works hard, has a great arm, can make plays on the run, generally makes good decisions with the ball and WINS.   The media got behind him and the Browns, now we have a bunch of people trying to poke holes in him and say Allen is better.

Last year we heard from everyone that Allen's line was the issue, but we're willing to ignore the issues Cleveland is having now when looking at Mayfield.

We heard Josh has "it" and finds a way to win, no matter how ugly, what was the outcome of the game people are freaking out over?

Every week the excuses come in for Josh missing guys that are open. Brown was wide open, for a td, but who cares? We scored on that drive anyway.  Mayfield misses OBJ once and now he is innacurate.

The offense sputters here and they are still needing time to "gel", forget that for Cleveland.

C'mon guys, judge with the same standards and quit trying to feel like your qb is clearly better because you are tired of hearing about Cleveland.  Most of you sound like jealous school girls defending your boyfriend.  As it stands, Allen has had a mediocre game that nobody wants to talk about because it was a win and a solid game.  He made improvement from last year, thus far.  He was still picked 7th overall, its not like he should be getting a pass for not playing well, the team invested a FORTUNE to draft him, he better be good.  Mayfield had a far superior rookie season and started off this year with a pretty mediocre game one, against a team that didn't suck so much they allowed him to recover.  Then had an average game, where he shockingly beat the ***** out of the same team Allen barely scraped by in his mediocre game.  

Let's breath a second and realize they are both young, both have new weapons and both were high draft picks with lofty expectations.  Both are going to wow you at times and both are going to suck at times.   It's nice that Allen has picked things up and is progressing.  Mayfield will be fine too.

Wayyy too early in the season to judge either QB. Give it time. The thing that impressed me most about Allen in his progression this year was his throwing the ball away safely under pressure in the 2nd game. That was one of his worst traits last year, knowing when, and when not to, force the ball, or taking off running too soon. Hope to see more out of that in Allen to see his progression.

I've always felt this was a classic case of the more finished product versus the raw potential.

You can fill in the blanks as to which one is which. The Browns made their decision and the Bills their own.

Personally, I feel it is the job of the team to have some imagination and vision. Some, I understand, are in the I whatt have you done crowd?

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

It's way, way, way too early to make a decision on that yet.

However, it's really telling that certainly media personalities have narratives they are sticking too. Mike Tanier at Bleache Report (I know, I know), had a comment along the lines of "Allen can provide one rushing and one passing TD highlight per game, and then miss his receivers by 10 yards for the rest of the game". In their mind, Allen is "inaccurate", despite the fact that he within half a percentage point of Carson Wentz and has a higher completion % than Goff, Aaron Rodgers, Mayfield, Winston, Mayfield, Trubinsky and their new favorite "baller" Kyler Murray. And yet not a peep.

If Allen was putting up numbers like what Mayfield has so far, we would be hearing about what a phenomenal bust and waste of a pick he was.

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The main concern about Mayfield coming out of college, was the classic "he is too short" problem.  And while Drew Brees is a radical exception to that rule, it has shown to be a problem for many other talented but shorter QBs.   

Last night we went up against a defensive coordinator who saw Mayfield for a full season live in practice last year.  This has to provide a lot more insight for game planning than simply watching game films.   I can't say I know what the Jets defense specifically did different than other defenses, but Mayfield looked like he was throwing out of hole last night. Quite a few passes knocked down, and a launch angle requiring his receivers to leave their feet ( and pay a big physical price) to catch balls he through out of the pocket. Greg Williams may have provided the defensive template to beat up on Mayfield last night.

I also had some understanding that Mayfield was mobile, but that sure was not on display last night.  

NJ did a good job of disguising what they were doing. They gave a blitz look and dropped into coverage a lot. Baker saw one thing as he scanned the defense and saw something completely different after the snap. He's young and had issues picking that up. 

OBJ never stays healthy*. Once he goes out, Mayfield's flaws will be magnified. The media has an agenda right now to keep general fans believing the Browns have a shot at being relevant down the stretch. But once the Ls pile up and Mayfield stops having even a couple highlights a week for the recap shows, they will turn on him.

*I am not rooting for an injury to OBJ or anyone else.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Right now: I love our QB, but based on record, stats, and production, the clear winner right now is Jackson. And I was never a fan, and I am  glad we didn't stay put and wait for him, but right now, he is way above the rest.

Then again, Roman made Tyrod look good too--until Rex dumped him because he was getting credit over Rex (more evidence of what a disaster he was as a HC).

I think Jackson clearly has talent; however, you are right, Roman has an exceptional ability to create successful gameplans for QBs such as Jackson (go back and watch what he did with Kaepernick and, to a lesser extent, Taylor). In addition, they have played, statistically, the two worse defenses in the NFL. Jackson has far more physical talent than Kaepernick or Taylor, I am just not sure how longterm the success for him may be. It will be interesting to watch. He is certainly lighting it up right now.

53 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

baker was really inaccurate last night and not the guy i saw play last year. 

I agree.  I did not see much of his play against Tennessee, but I did notice last night that the Jets seemed to be making a concerted effort to get their arms up in front of him.  Even on roll outs, they would stay in front of him and try and deflect his throws.  I wonder if that is a strategy against him....and I wonder if height might start to be a factor.

23 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Slow down.  I am a huge Allen guy but we played two weak opponents.  I believe Allen will surpass all the other '18 Draft QBs but not saying he is there yet.

Why is it that anything positive about Allen has to be qualified with the level of competition he has faced? I don't really hear that very much when we are discussing other QBs...

• Like (+1) 1