Mayfield is << Allen

cage

I think it is important to remember that Josh Allen is not even a finished product

- Very raw coming into the league....despite that....a gamer

- He gets a little help this year....there are NO stars in that group of players Beane brought in....just solid NFL players and young guys that might develop into something....Brown is best suited as a 2.....Cole Beasely is a 3.....we do NOT have a legit number 1 receiver in this group

- The offensive line is giving better protection....but these guys are not like the bills SB offensive lines.....yet

Josh is looking pretty good right now....and I think he will look even better NEXT year as we continue to put pieces around him

Meanwhile....he looks equal to or has surpassed all of the QBs that were drafted ahead of him

We are in good shape

• Like (+1) 8

Like many, this was the first time I watched him intently. And came away with the feeling that he is very average. He does have a stronger arm than I thought, okay accuracy, and was running around trying to avoid a less than average Jet D. One game is a small sample size, but nothng stood out to me, other than he is remarkably unimpressive.

• Like (+1) 1

My thing with Baker is I feel like he lacks pocket presence. Against Tennessee he constantly didn't feel the rush coming and tonight he just held on to the ball a lot and kept expecting OBJ to get open. At Oklahoma and at Texas Tech he played in a system that didn't require multiple reads, so it was Brown or Lamb should be open get it to them otherwise take off. He may get better but honestly I'm not too sure. Josh last year at least showed some pocket presence with getting out or taking off from a collapsing pocket and reading his progressions. He looked lost at times, but progressed as a rookie. Also since last year Baker has thrown the most interceptions

2 hours ago, Haplo848 said:

Honestly, despite Mayfield looking like the best rookie QB last year, at this point I'm putting Mayfield at 4th in the 2nd year QB rankings.  Darnold, Allen, and Lamar Jackson all seem like better players right now.  I just can't help but feel like those three put a lot more work in to improve in the offseason, while Mayfield is still at where he was last year.

Right now: I love our QB, but based on record, stats, and production, the clear winner right now is Jackson. And I was never a fan, and I am  glad we didn't stay put and wait for him, but right now, he is way above the rest.

Then again, Roman made Tyrod look good too--until Rex dumped him because he was getting credit over Rex (more evidence of what a disaster he was as a HC).

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So one game and you've made ya mind up? What would you say if a Cleveland fan had only watched Josh Allen's game against Green Bay last year or only saw quarters 2 and 3 of the Jest game? 

I am not ready to crown Allen anything yet, but if you don't see. progression from year one to year two, I don't know what to tell you.

He already has a winning record as a starter as he continues to develop.

I take it one game at a time and I think we all see Cincinnati as a very favorable match-up, but in this topsy turvy NFL you never freaking know.

Mayfield is in the same boat right now but with a much worse OL that might get him killed.

Edited by njbuff

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I am not ready to crown Allen anything yet, but if you don't see. progression from year one to year two, I don't know what to tell you.

He already has a winning record as a starter as he continues to develop.

I take it one game at a time and I think we all see Cincinnati as a very favorable match-up, but in this topsy turvy NFL you never freaking know.

That wasn't the point of my comment. I was making a comparison. The OP watched ONE Baker Mayfield game and is judging him against Allen, after one game. I've watched more than one game of Mayfields, so I know where he's at and last season, he did things I haven't seen Allen do up to this point.  Mayfield also didn't look nearly as bad in Game 1 as his stat line would indicate, if you did actually watch the game.

I'm not saying Allen hasn't looked better this season and seems to be improving, he is. I'm saying if a Cleveland fan or general NFL fan picked one of Allens games to watch, a bad one, and then formed an opinion of that, every Buffalo fan would be telling them they need to watch more of him and not just the highlights.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

That wasn't the point of my comment. I was making a comparison. The OP watched ONE Baker Mayfield game and is judging him against Allen, after one game. I've watched more than one game of Mayfields, so I know where he's at and last season, he did things I haven't seen Allen do up to this point.  Mayfield also didn't look nearly as bad in Game 1 as his stat line would indicate, if you did actually watch the game.

I'm not saying Allen hasn't looked better this season and seems to be improving, he is. I'm saying if a Cleveland fan or general NFL fan picked one of Allens games to watch, a bad one, and then formed an opinion of that, every Buffalo fan would be telling them they need to watch more of him and not just the highlights.

I gotcha now.

My reading comprehension sucks.

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

What I learned last night is The Browns Bills game is not an automatic loss for Buffalo.

Should be a good game.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

So one game and you've made ya mind up? What would you say if a Cleveland fan had only watched Josh Allen's game against Green Bay last year or only saw quarters 2 and 3 of the Jest game? 

Which one of Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield has been pushed on us as a conference championship contender?

17 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Which one of Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield has been pushed on us as a conference championship contender?

Sooooo because the media bought into the hype of the Browns offseason, Mayfield<<Allen. Makes sense. Did I miss Baker Mayfield saying he was going to be a Conference  Championship Contender? What does this have to do with watching one game of a player and making any sort of judgment. 

Bills fans get all upset when national pundits only watch highlights of Allen or one game but then it's ok for us as fans to do that to other players. Again, makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Sooooo because the media bought into the hype of the Browns offseason, Mayfield<<Allen. Makes sense. Did I miss Baker Mayfield saying he was going to be a Conference  Championship Contender? What does this have to do with watching one game of a player and making any sort of judgment. 

Bills fans get all upset when national pundits only watch highlights of Allen or one game but then it's ok for us as fans to do that to other players. Again, makes sense.

Take a look at the stats for the year and get back to me.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I had Mayfield 4th but in all honesty I had Allen and Rosen as top 3 guys.  Browns changed the history of 5 teams or more by taking Mayfield instead of Darnold.  If Browns take Darnold like many predicted, Allen probably goes 3rd to the Jets and then it is a trade war at 4 to get Rosen.  

That’s a plate full of speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1

For better or worse, Mayfield painted himself in a corner when decided to confront the media (Cowherd) instead of ignoring it and keep working hard with his teammates.

He's a fiery guy but he's still young, I think he needs to settle down on all the hype sorrounding his team and work on the basics, last night his mechanics were awful, hence his bad passes.

He still need some maturing to do. I think he will be alright.

I don't care if he's better or worse than Allen, I think Allen is perfect for our team.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm pleasantly surprised that Allen has showed the degree of growth he has in both the mental and physical aspects of the game. This is a testament to both the player and the developmental coaching he has received. 

Baker is going to be a solid starter and was quicker out of the gate but his ceiling is lower than Allen's

Jackson has surprised me in his development but like Allen still, I'll wait to see some consistency over time before drawing conclusions. 

Rosen is a disaster and certainly his circumstances haven't helped

The one who surprises me is Darnold.  I've watched most of his games and I'm just not seeing this future pro-bowler they everyone hyped. He seems skittish in the pocket, isn't reading defenses as well as Allen so far, and only seems comfortable on the run during a broken/extended play. 

It's real early for all of them except Rosen who I think is done. Time will tell