Mayfield is << Allen

cage

I watched most of the Browns/Jets game tonight and this is the first time I saw Baker Mayfield outside of highlight clips.  Color me unimpressed.  I'll have to watch a bit more of him, but based on tonights game, I would consider Josh Allen the better QB, hands down.  

-- Less than 50% accuracy

-- Nearly got his TE killed.  I can imagine how many times we'd see that clip and the commentary if Allen made a throw like that

-- Consistently high and off target, with the exception of two long passes to OBJ

-- Poor decision making

-- Erratic while rolling right trying to evade pressure.  Allen is often at his best on those types of throws 

Allen would be crucified for having a game like Mayfield had tonight.

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Does he really seem like the type of player to study & watch tape?

Yes. Besides the bravado and antics the dude TWICE WALKED ON at D1 programs and won starting jobs

You can say whatever u want about Baker and he may have regressed a little but his work ethic shouldn't be questioned

He obviously busts his butt in the film and weight room to get to where he is. Maybe he is losing it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes. Besides the bravado and antics the dude TWICE WALKED ON at D1 programs and won starting jobs

You can say whatever u want about Baker and he may have regressed a little but his work ethic shouldn't be questioned

He obviously busts his butt in the film and weight room to get to where he is. Maybe he is losing it

To be fair yes he had to work his ass off to make those teams but it was kind of the opposite in Cleveland they took him 1st overall.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

To be fair yes he had to work his ass off to make those teams but it was kind of the opposite in Cleveland they took him 1st overall.

Well that's why I said it is possible he is losing it

But typically someone that driven who had a crazy work ethic doesn't loose it that quick... Unless he gets too full of himself too quick

It's also like I said pre draft... he was sooo polished it is possible he was close to being maxed out

Typically doesn't happen with 22 year old QBs but he already maxed out his frame, had tremendous touch and anticipation. His room for growth wasn't as much as like a guy like Allen or Lamar or even Darnold

He came in day 1 ready

Edited by Buffalo716

Mayfield has the talent, but I don't think he has the temperament to last in this league long as a QB.   I think it's important to be able to stay even keeled over the course of a season and not get too high or too low.  I don't think Mayfield has that trait.  Everything is right now, everything is the most important thing ever, everything is either amazing or a crisis.  That's just not a recipe for success for a team that has to follow his lead.  

• Like (+1) 2

Gents, there’s a long way to go to hash out this 2018 QB class. They’re all going to have some ups and downs from week to week, but there’s one thing that is pretty clear. If anyone truly believed Allen would be capable of developing an accurate short to mid range game he would’ve been the top pick. 

His physical ability is far and away superior to any of these other guys, but we were all told he would be air mailing balls into the hospitality tent a la EJ on a regular basis. He’s not completely there just yet, but it sure looks like he’s getting drastically better at things that all the draftniks and analytics folks mocked him for. If he proves to be able to continue hitting these efficient type passes underneath, while still being able to run around and throw lasers all over the field, he’s not really going to have any limitations. The ceiling for this guy appears to be absurd... and the floor seems to be ticking up a little more every week. At this point we’re all just waiting to see if he hits his ceiling and how quickly he gets there. If he gets there while this defense is still in tact, we may not just be battling for a wildcard.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Could it be that Mayfield is already has reached his peak. 

I've felt this since his first 1/2 when he came in for relief of T.T.  Solid high-floor player.  Exciting to watch.  But last year I was happy with Allen (prospect) over Mayfield (prospect).  More so this year, but not by a large margin.  Jackson though... did he take a major step this year, or what?

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Mayfield has the talent, but I don't think he has the temperament to last in this league long as a QB.   I think it's important to be able to stay even keeled over the course of a season and not get too high or too low.  I don't think Mayfield has that trait.  Everything is right now, everything is the most important thing ever, everything is either amazing or a crisis.  That's just not a recipe for success for a team that has to follow his lead.  

I honestly don't think Baker would be able to pull of the win Josh did against the Jets week 1. I don't think he could overcome 4 T/O's and come back from down 16. I think he is talented but I don't think he has the belief that he can win any game like Josh does.

If Allen wins us a Super Bowl I don't care if the media wants to claim Mayfield, Darnold & Jackson are better.  All that matters is Allen is the best QB for the Buffalo Bills.  Very similar to when Kelly was rated behind Elway & Marino among the class of 1983.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Gents, there’s a long way to go to hash out this 2018 QB class. They’re all going to have some ups and downs from week to week, but there’s one thing that is pretty clear. If anyone truly believed Allen would be capable of developing an accurate short to mid range game he would’ve been the top pick. 

His physical ability is far and away superior to any of these other guys, but we were all told he would be air mailing balls into the hospitality tent a la EJ on a regular basis. He’s not completely there just yet, but it sure looks like he’s getting drastically better at things that all the draftniks and analytics folks mocked him for. If he proves to be able to continue hitting these efficient type passes underneath, while still being able to run around and throw lasers all over the field, he’s not really going to have any limitations. The ceiling for this guy appears to be absurd... and the floor seems to be ticking up a little more every week. At this point we’re all just waiting to see if he hits his ceiling and how quickly he gets there. If he gets there while this defense is still in tact, we may not just be battling for a wildcard.

OMG this might be the post of the year in my humble opinion. 

• Like (+1) 4

Honestly, despite Mayfield looking like the best rookie QB last year, at this point I'm putting Mayfield at 4th in the 2nd year QB rankings.  Darnold, Allen, and Lamar Jackson all seem like better players right now.  I just can't help but feel like those three put a lot more work in to improve in the offseason, while Mayfield is still at where he was last year.