Money on the Money downs and in the Money quarter: A Josh Allen Story

Logic

In the NFL, what separates decent or good NFL quarterbacks from ELITE NFL quarterbacks is what they do on 3rd down and what they do in the 4th quarter.

Well, in just 13 career starts, Josh Allen already has three (or is it four?) fourth quarter comebacks. Clutch. 

And how is he doing on third down these days?

And just in case those aren't enough, let's take a look at Allen's accuracy/efficiency in throwing the football overall so far this season:

So, with the obvious caveat that the Bills have played some poor defenses in the first two weeks....Buffalo appears to have a quarterback who is getting the team in and out of the huddle crisply and efficiently, calling audibles and checks and setting protections, completing a high percentage of his passes, and performing at his absolute best on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter. The usual "he still has a long way to go" disclaimer applies, but for a guy with just 13 career starts under his belt, well....

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

said it watching the game yesterday, third and long isn’t a scary down and distance anymore. 

You don’t miss the Tyrod scramble and out of bounds 3 yards short? 

You don’t miss EJ getting sacked?

I love Josh Allen

Edited by SJDK
*Fixed Tyrol hahaha
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SJDK said:

You don’t miss the Tyrod scramble and out of bounds 3 yards short? 

You don’t miss EJ getting sacked?

I love Josh Allen

You left out my personal favorite, Kyle Orton sliding 3 yards short with no one within 10 yards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Way way too early in the season for stats to mean much. The sample size is too small, and as you yourself said, we've faced two bad defences.

I'm happy with Josh so far. I really am. I see some improvement. But it's just about impossible to know how much of the improvement is from bad defences and a small sample size making luck and situation too big of a factor and how much means something. How much is from shorter passes than most (his AY/A is 6.7, very short) or defensive game plans? Hell, who thinks Gardner Minshew will be #2 on the list at the end of the year, or Dak Prescott #1 or Sam Darnold #5? Or Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Rivers and Ryan all outside the top seven?

But I personally really do think we'll see some genuine improvement that will still be there by midseason and even at the end of the year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Wore my Josh Allen jersey to my kid's game on Saturday. I check in the oppenents team verifying ages and matching up numbers. The league rep looks at me and says, "The Bills?!?!?" and proceeds to start laughing. The other coaches were snickering too. I smiled, nodded, and said, "which one of your teams will be 2-0 after this weekend? Mine will be." Aside from the one Cowboys fan that spoke up the rest were quiet. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Way way too early in the season for stats to mean much. The sample size is too small, and as you yourself said, we've faced two bad defences.

I'm happy with Josh so far. I really am. I see some improvement. But it's just about impossible to know how much of the improvement is from bad defences and a small sample size making luck and situation too big of a factor and how much means something. How much is from shorter passes than most (his AY/A is 6.7, very short) or defensive game plans? But I personally really do think we'll see some genuine improvement that will still be there by midseason and even at the end of the year.

That is the key. Look at the improvement with just one offseason. I refuse to apologize for who we play. How many of the Patriots SB runs have been because they have played against teams in the weakest division in the league, year after year after year. What the stats say to me is that a young player is developing and learning his craft. He is playing against inferior competition the way I would expect a franchise QB to play. When the game is on the line he isn't afraid of the moment or situation, and he isn't learning how to deliver, he IS delivering. It's a HUGE part of "the process" that Allen needs to develop so he can lead this team and franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I actually weirdly expect us to pick it up now when its 3rd and long.  

I remarked to my son this past weekend that I feel strangely confident in 3rd and long situations, and even when there are penalties that put the offense in 2nd and 15 or 20 situations. It has been a long time since I felt that way about this team or a QB for this team. I have said it before, he is exactly the kind of QB I have been waiting for - and I think he is going to be special.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I actually weirdly expect us to pick it up now when its 3rd and long.  

It really is a strange feeling, but I know what you mean! It’s nice to know that at the very least it’s a possibility

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, chris heff said:

You left out my personal favorite, Kyle Orton sliding 3 yards short with no one within 10 yards.

To be fair Orton was going to take a big hit if he tried to get the first down on the play you are likely referencing against Denver...he chose not to go for it...probably was 50/50 on whether he would have gotten the first down...clearly not 10 yards of open space before sliding...maybe a yard and a half

I wont take anything away, I like what I'm seeing in JA but I want to see him up against a playoff teams defense, during the season. that should give a good indication how he fares when they do make the post season. it may not be this season but if he can do the things he's done against bottom tier teams against the real contenders for the playoffs, I might start to get a bit giddy.

Ok so I listen to a ton of fantasy podcasts from so called fantasy experts....the narrative of josh Allen inaccuracy continues....I know it shouldn’t bother me but it is beginning  to piss me off. These guys either aren’t watching the full tape or literally picking a handful of throws to fit that narrative...they literally laugh at how wildly inaccurate he is. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

To be fair Orton was going to take a big hit if he tried to get the first down on the play you are likely referencing against Denver...he chose not to go for it...probably was 50/50 on whether he would have gotten the first down...clearly not 10 yards of open space before sliding...maybe a yard and a half

I don't think there is anything that could justify him sliding instead of going for the first down. Here he is starting his slide...

Orton.jpg

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

said it watching the game yesterday, third and long isn’t a scary down and distance anymore. 

I said the same thing. On one such play (it was the one where Beasley ran a curl and beat his man to the sticks) I literally said to my wife (who is happy because she says I’m much more pleasant to be around when the Bills play well!) third and 10? Josh will pick this up.. no big deal. 

And boom. Executed the play to perfection. And it’s not just Josh. We have receivers that can execute the play as well. That particular play was a perfect example. Josh executes his end, and Cole gets by his guy to the sticks. 

Absolutely beautiful. At least when you consider the last 20 years of being a Bills fan.

41 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't think there is anything that could justify him sliding instead of going for the first down. Here he is starting his slide...

Orton.jpg

Im not trying to justify it...i just remember watching the dude from the side and in front running a lot faster than Orton was and that he was likely gonna get lit up...

Orton knew he was retiring at the end of the year and he wasn't in the " lay it on the line" mindset anymore obviously...