Anyone else notice the lack of throwing in the red zone?

Steptide

I'm starting to think daboll is saving alot for the thougher teams. It seems once we get inside the 15/10 yard line, they start running. I cant imagine this is just simply coincidence, I think this is scripted and the best is yet to come (throwing in the red zone I mean). 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm starting to think daboll is saving alot for the thougher teams. It seems once we get inside the 15/10 yard line, they start running. I cant imagine this is just simply coincidence, I think this is scripted and the best is yet to come (throwing in the red zone I mean). 

I think it's better if you run in the red zone...less chance of mistakes

• Like (+1) 1

The field compresses as you get into the RZ, more so the closer you get to the EZ. Clearly Daboll trusts Josh but I think a lot of his concepts work best at stretching defenses all over the field which opens up space. Thats harder to do in the RZ so its possible he doesnt feel quite confident enough in Josh to pick apart a D with narrower windows. Combine that with a good O-line and...its working. If it aint broke dont fix it. Im sure they run the plays in practice.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It doesn't hurt that the running is effective in the red zone.

Also, in terms of better teams, NE is going to put Gilmore on Beasley and stack the box to stop the run. JA is going to have to be a super effective game manager. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

37 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Hey OP, good catch.  Hard to believe the Bills are 5/5 for TDs in redzone through 2 weeks.  Was a metric they focused on in off season as we were near 50% TD success last year.

They need to be able to get 7 to play with Pats, Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys later in year.

Get inside the 5 and teams have a very hard time stopping Allen on the run. He's not going to get many of those really short TD passes that pad the stats of other QBs because he just runs those in himself.

The run he had yesterday the Bills overloaded the left side with all three WRs which also had the S leaning that way, only to pull the OL right and have Allen trot in for an easy TD. There are only a handful of teams that can do that. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Very hard to tell for sure especially as the most effective plays have been the QB sweep and outside runs, but:

Week 1 - 17 points and only 2 red zone plays both runs and a TD by Allen.

Week 2 - 28 pts 4 trips

1st trip-  1 pass, 1 run, and 1 scramble on a QB drop back

2nd trip - 1 play, 1 run, 1 TD

3rd trip - 1 play, 1 “Pass” to McKenzie (McKittrick), 1 TD

4th trip - 2 passes, 3 runs, and the Penalty on the FG attemp.

Total for 2 games:

4 passes - 1 TD

8 Runs - 4 TDs

It does seem their percentage of runs go up, but like the last TD in NY - Gore had to run multiple times from the 1 to push it in.

I think they are still struggling with Allen passing in short space, but the O-Line is so much better they are compensating by getting the TD runs.

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I think this team as presently constituted is better at running vs passing in the red zone environment. 

QB & TE lack of experience and familiarity

Athleticism at the QB position

Risk-averse coaching

Better run-blocking OL

I agree this is likely the reasoning. Similarly, i also think that is why you see more of Gore than you do Singletary right now. He’s a safe pick with a proven track record. 

Having Josh Allen's size and ability to run is a huge added dimension to our red zone capabilities from within the 10 yard line.    It's just a nice luxury to have and if harnessed properly which I believe it will be the Bills will end up being a top 10 Red zone offensive team.

Appreciate the numbers Rochesterfan.  I love it when someone does the homework for us.  I don't have the attention span to do that good work you all do.

In my always under-informed opinion, they certainly could be saving something especial for the big dogs.  Would be sweet if they have some doozies up their sleeves for the Pats.  Very possible.  I kinda think  you have to do that to stay ahead of BB.  That's what he does and he does it like a master.  But establishing the confidence in the o-line boys that the can punch it in when they get close is probably the best thing to do now while it's early in the season.  This line seems pretty flappin' good at run blocking.  I'm seeing some really, really great blocking. 

Also interesting to me the use of Gore so far as the RB1 and almost exclusive running it up the gut with him.  It's his forte certainly and he's the best at it.  It sets up those outside runs with Singletary perfectly.  If they're successfully getting Gore going with those 4-5 or 6 yard pops the first two quarters the opposing D will be looking for that.  Start sprinkling in Singletary off-tackle, sweeps, etc. and you're gonna see some big runs.  Feels like they did that against the Jests.  Why else would you save Singletary for the second half?  And who care if the other teams figure this out.  If they start shutting down the outside, feed it to Gore up the middle again.  Oh, by the way, here's some Josh Allen lasers 15-25 yards all over.  He can kill them all day with that. 

I really love how they built this year's offense.  So interesting to finally see how they're using the new fellas.