The Growth Mindset Culture of Coach McDermott 

foreboding

6 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Spot on.

This and all the "McBean" crap is just not funny, cute or witty.

McBeane I get, Its a quick way to to GM and HC.

Nothing added to be cute or witty IMO.

McClappity on the other hand almost made me ignore a good post.

• Like (+1) 4

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/clap-for-mistaking.html

Why Successful Teammates Clap For Mistakes

What would make successful teammates CLAP for mistakes?

Aren’t they damaging and destructive?

Well, if repeated without recognition, yes.

But I would argue that how you and your team handle mistakes is the key determining the difference between your organization and your competition.

Sincere and sustained great effort will always result in a few mistakes. A group that is prepared to cope with those mistakes in a positive way will always outperform those who become frustrated from or fearful of the experience of errors.

Let me explain.

Legendary basketball coach John Wooden used to tell his teams that “the team who makes the most mistakes will probably win.”

Like any other experience, mistakes are an opportunity to improve - or to implode.

How you and your teammates handle setbacks or mistakes or adversity is one very significant way to gain an advantage – or suffer a defeat – due to your responses.

The truth is that swimmers don’t drown because they go underwater...

They only drown if they stay there.

So what I have shared with teams over the recent past is a simple and effective response to mistakes or human error that ALWAYS results in better performance.

I ask them to CLAP.

That’s right.

When you or your teammates commit a mistake, the key behavior that will allow you to “bounce beyond” it is an immediate and intentional three claps.

And as you clap three times in succession, teach yourself to remember the following steps to overcoming mistakes mentally and getting back to competing successfully:

Claim it, Learn from it, And Play through it!

Claim it

Start by acknowledging the mistake and admitting responsibility.

Own the behavior, or you will remain a victim who must wait on someone else to change for circumstances to improve! If you point the finger of blame at others, your team will not get any better until they do – but if YOU claim responsibility, you also claim control and power to make things better yourself.

Learn from it

Second, understand what happened so you don’t repeat it.

If you have to lose a point, or a possession, or a sale, don’t lose the lesson the experience offers! Make the necessary adjustments to your training, your behavior, your mental playlist, and your attitude so that you can succeed the next time you are in that situation!

Play through it

Finally, commit to making the next play.

Too often, athletes find themselves letting one bad play affect the next play and become a string of mistakes instead of an isolated event. The next play is the only one you can control – so invest your effort in playing harder rather than pouting!

If we handle mistakes better than our opponents, over time we will be more successful.

To ensure a positive and productive response, work on clapping to yourself and use this method to move beyond adversity.

People who work hard and take risks will invariably make mistakes.

That is not the issue. The issue is whether you will drop your chin, pout, and complain about the past... or focus on the future and make it better because of what you learned!

Everything in life will either make you better or make you bitter...

Our response to mistakes – ours and our teammates’ – is the difference between winning and losing! With three simple claps, you can inspire better behaviors and positive team development.

Instead of looking backward and replaying the mistake over and over in your mind, clap past it and turn it into more productive reminders and encouragements for the next play...

Great teams clap for mistakes.

If your group needs to work together through adversity and improve communication, team building events can act as a fun and impactful catalyst for the changes you desire, and will help you to create a more cohesive culture.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is a bunch of nonsense.

You can employ whatever philosophy you want, but this is football we are talking about.

The team with the better talent, more often than not, wins the game.

If you want to applaud McBeane, applaud the way they have done a solid job of changing out personnel  and built up quality depth all over the field.

We won our first two games this year because we were the more talented team, by a lot.

We just beat what are probably going to be 5 win teams.

Let's keep this all in some perspective.

...um...er...well....ok...thanks........SMH........

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bills are 2-0, done their job

looked bad at times, but they can't improve on 2-0

wish i could cynically say something to downplay 2-0

but they are 2-0

...so Pegula never heeded the expert advice of the TBD "Fire McBeane...Fire McDermott Gang" after all?...wow.....McDermott came here as a ROOKIE HC  but he seems to have had a very well defined plan in mind.....organized, focusing on fixing the abysmal culture and the types of players who fit "his mold" that he wanted to coach.....what the hell is wrong with THAT?....enter McBeane, starting his carer as an unpaid intern in 1998 and also arriving on the scene as a ROOKIE GM.....and they seem to be the perfect fit IMO.....and neither wavered from "The Plan".....Pegula gave McBeane the checkbook to hire a formidable staff of 17+ and he did so.....anybody care to say this is not the best gang since the Polian era?..oh wait, I'm a "premature homer (my azz)"....we could always have an "F Troop Reunion" and bring back the likes of Brandon, Whaley, Wrecks, Jauron, etc if you prefer......always will be the DSWS or "Daily Soggy Wheaties Syndrome" Gang here no matter what these guys do...I'd bet your have NO IDEA (COUGH) who I could be talking about here, right??.....

• Like (+1) 2

To all who were Mc-ffended, Mc-turbed or just McBothered.

I have taken my own observations of a growth mindset to heart and decided that calling the Coach McClappity is disrespectful and therefore declare my intention to never call him that again.

Starting with an edit to the offending title of this thread.

Go Bills, Cincy next.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, foreboding said:

To all who were Mc-ffended, Mc-turbed or just McBothered.

I have taken my own observations of a growth mindset to heart and decided that calling the Coach McClappity is disrespectful and therefore declare my intention to never call him that again.

Starting with an edit to the offending title of this thread.

Go Bills, Cincy next.

...just be a tad optimistic bud.......MUCH easier said than done after 17 years of pain.......not talking euphoria, kool-aid or irrational exuberance either.....BUT.....are we on a better track today versus the post Polian years of "F Troop Misfits"?.....I think so IMO.......

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Spot on.

This and all the "McBean" crap is just not funny, cute or witty.

2 hours ago, Figster said:

McBeane I get, Its a quick way to to GM and HC.

Nothing added to be cute or witty IMO.

McClappity on the other hand almost made me ignore a good post.

40 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I'd suggest re-naming this thread. You went through a lot of effort to ruin it with a dumb title.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The 2 names that are my biggest pet peeves

McBeane and McClappity

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Do you think McClappity is witty?  A good post with a bad title.

I did not know I could rename, our old old forum you couldn't. Done. McClappity I shall not say no more.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Lol... Pete Carrol and the Seahawks were 15-19 after week 2 in year 3...

Dude ...

They similarly made the playoffs in Pete Carrol's first year, but with a 7-9 record...

Wasn't that the year of the famous Matt Hasselback OT proclamation "We'll take the ball and we're gonna win!" against Green Bay after they beat New Orleans at home in the first round and everyone complained that NO had to go on the road to a team that finished 7-9??

Damn...i just realized NO has been getting screwed for a looooooooonnnnng time hahaha

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Wasn't that the year of the famous Matt Hasselback OT proclamation "We'll take the ball and we're gonna win!" against Green Bay after they beat New Orleans at home in the first round and everyone complained that NO had to go on the road to a team that finished 7-9??

Damn...i just realized NO has been getting screwed for a looooooooonnnnng time hahaha

I think that was during the Holmgren era