How would you rank the QBs of the 2018 NFL draft today in hindsight?

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I liked all 5 of the QBs (I didn’t have Rudolph in that mix). Rosen and Baker were my two favorites coming in. I was mad when we took Allen instead of Rosen so not saying I was right. It’s the people that were positive Allen and/or Lamar would suck that are still digging in that look like idiots. 

I overlooked the coaching situation that Lamar was walking into. I should have known better that he’d be decent under Harbaugh.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If you take out the term "positive" than I would say neither,   As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on both, way too early.

It is out on everyone with a few starts. However, they are 15-7 as starters (Jackson is 8-1). If you thought that Jackson “was a RB” or Allen’s completion percentage would prevent him from ever having success you were wrong. It doesn’t mean that they will end up in the HOF but both have already proven that they can be effective, and at times dominant, NFL QBs.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The team went 6-1 last season when he started and never scored fewer than 20 points. The only game they lost was to KC in OT.

Lamar threw for more than 200 yards once (204) last season and had a QBR of 42.6.  He averaged 172 yards per game.  I don't think the majority of the hype is based on last year.

Lamar may end up being a very good QB, but I want to see him against a good defense this season.

Edited by chknwing334

3 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Lamar threw for more than 200 yards once (204) last season and had a QBR of 42.6.  He averaged 172 yards per game.  I don't think the majority of the hype is based on last year.

He also rushed for 556 yards in those seven games and was a true threat every time he took off. That's part of the game too, and can't be assumed away in evaluations. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Lamar may end up being a very good QB, but I want to see him against a good defense this season.

Let me guess, you weren’t a fan of Lamar coming out were you? That’s kind of the point that I’m making. People do the same thing with Josh. You can cherry pick whatever you want with either but the reality is Lamar is 8-1 as a starter and been dominant this year. He was effective last year, as was Josh, and both appear to have taken massive steps. That’s what happens with young QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is out on everyone with a few starts. However, they are 15-7 as starters (Jackson is 8-1). If you thought that Jackson “was a RB” or Allen’s completion percentage would prevent him from ever having success you were wrong. It doesn’t mean that they will end up in the HOF but both have already proven that they can be effective, and at times dominant, NFL QBs.

You want to denigrate people that, as you say were "positive" about both Allen and Lamar but now you are claiming they are "already proven" with such an incredibly small sample size.  You would be real real hard pressed to find any "expert" saying Allen has already proven himself.

And no i never wrote anything about Allen and his percentage completion or Lamar as a RB.  

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He also rushed for 556 yards in those seven games and was a true threat every time he took off. That's part of the game too, and can't be assumed away in evaluations. 

Fair enough, but in order to be a long term high end QB, the passing yards have to be there.  He may have that figured out this season and my skepticism may be misguided.  If he continues to put up good passing numbers throughout this season, I will gladly admit that I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Fair enough, but in order to be a long term high end QB, the passing yards have to be there.  He may have that figured out this season and my skepticism may be misguided.  If he continues to put up good passing numbers throughout this season, I will gladly admit that I was wrong.

Understood. The proof will be in the pudding. I agree about the necessity of passing, but he does appear to be a cut above as a runner - even better than Tyrod, who is really good himself at running. 

Edited by dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me guess, you weren’t a fan of Lamar coming out were you? That’s kind of the point that I’m making. People do the same thing with Josh. You can cherry pick whatever you want with either but the reality is Lamar is 8-1 as a starter and been dominant this year. He was effective last year, as was Josh, and both appear to have taken massive steps. That’s what happens with young QBs. 

He may very well have taken "massive steps" and I certainly haven't watched his games as closely as Bills games.  I am simply saying that before I jump on the bandwagon, I want to see him put together good games against decent defenses.  I don't have much of an opinion either way yet.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Objectively, Allen is 1.  I don’t think that’s my inner homer talking.  Seriously - if any of us had the 1st pick in that draft now, would we take anyone BUT Allen?

I still think Darnold has a bright future.  Obviously, Lamar and Mayfield both have a ton of talent.  Equally obviously, we did not take the “wrong Josh.”

I just don’t see another guy with Allen’s upside.  He is the most skilled, and has every intangible you want in a QB.

Agree. Others here who did not pick Allen as #1 I feel could be missing the boat on some other things too. Lets talk about personality and attitude, and which player could you see as the face of the franchise for 15+ years. Feel those tangibles and that leadership and stability fit for Buffalo is 50% of the reason I would take him over the rest. Yes, his exciting other skills account for the other 50%, but let’s be serious about the others. Nope, nope, nope, and maybe. Three have abrasive or annoying demeanors or personalities, or they could crack at any moment, because of either being too selfish, arrogant, thin skinned, stubborn or timid, from my analysis, whereas the other I rate as ho hum, ok, nothing to get excited about, but would take him over Everyone else since Kelly. I mean, some of the other four I see as flash in the pan, but with more risk than Allen, or lots less to offer once the league figures them out. Or brittle in some way. By no means do I see Allen as perfect, but he is perfect for this team, in terms of attitude, effort, willing to listen, exciting skills, intelligence, and leadership ability.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You want to denigrate people that, as you say were "positive" about both Allen and Lamar but now you are claiming they are "already proven" with such an incredibly small sample size.  You would be real real hard pressed to find any "expert" saying Allen has already proven himself.

And no i never wrote anything about Allen and his percentage completion or Lamar as a RB.  

It’s a small sample size but is proven in that it HAS happened. They have HAD great performances. They HAVE winning records. That’s just the truth. It doesn’t mean that it will continue but it certainly CAN.

2 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

He may very well have taken "massive steps" and I certainly haven't watched his games as closely as Bills games.  I am simply saying that before I jump on the bandwagon, I want to see him put together good games against decent defenses.  I don't have much of an opinion either way yet.

Fair enough

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a small sample size but is proven in that it HAS happened. They have HAD great performances. They HAVE winning records. That’s just the truth. It doesn’t mean that it will continue but it certainly CAN.

Anything CAN happen and JP Losman HAD great performance and winning is a TEAM effort, you want to go by Win Loos Doug Flutie is the greatest Bills QB of all time.

You must have better predictive ability because i am going to crown neither one as proven much of anything.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Allen

Baker

Darnold

Lamar

Rosen

This is what I see as well. Only argument might be Lamar ahead of Darnold.  Lamar has a much better organization behind him and Sam might prove better in the long run given the chance.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Anything CAN happen and JP Losman HAD great performance and winning is a TEAM effort, you want to go by Win Loos Doug Flutie is the greatest Bills QB of all time.

You must have better predictive ability because i am going to crown neither one as proven much of anything.

The point was, and is, they were polarizing prospects. Some people had their minds made up that one and/or the other would flop. Bill Polian said that Lamar was a WR!! Those people (not Polian) have dug in, despite evidence to the contrary in an effort to it be proven right. As of today, those people that criticized the Allen and/or Jackson picks are wrong. It can change for sure. They have both been VERY effective and are trending up. The people nitpicking them to prove themselves right is my issue. I just want people to admit, “at this point I may be wrong. They both look like they can play.” 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

The point was, and is, they were polarizing prospects. Some people had their minds made up that one and/or the other would flop. Bill Polian said that Lamar was a WR!! Those people (not Polian) have dug in, despite evidence to the contrary in an effort to it be proven right. As of today, those people that criticized the Allen and/or Jackson picks are wrong. It can change for sure. They have both been VERY effective and are trending up. The people nitpicking them to prove themselves right is my issue. I just want people to admit, “at this point I may be wrong. They both look like they can play.” 

Lets revisit after the Ravens play KC, if Lamar lights it up and wins that will certainly get my attention. He has done much better this year than I thought and look at last year wunderkid, Baker Mayfield, in his one game this year he has been terrible.

Very similar to an earlier post, but:

Tier 1: Allen, Jackson, Mayfield.  

I would not trade Allen for any of the other quarterbacks right now.  But honestly, I would expect Browns fans to say the same about Mayfield and Ravens fans to say the same about Jackson.  Based on their combined body of work last year and the first two games of this year, all three teams have to be pretty happy with their guy.  Out of this tier, I am most optimistic about Allen and least optimistic about Jackson, but they're all in the same neighborhood and that is probably just homerism on my part.  I was intrigued by Jackson pre-draft, and I'm happy to see him succeed.  For those downplaying Jackson's 2-0 start because of the teams he's faced, I would remind of you of the glass-houses-thrown-stones axiom.  

(small but noticeable dropoff)

Tier 2: Darnold

I like Darnold and expect that he'll get better.  He had some good moments last year.  But he didn't seem to improve much as the year went along (to be fair, I may have just missed it) and he seemed about the same in week 1.  If I were a Jets fan, I would be at least a little worried my team drafted the next Ryan Tannehill -- not good enough to win games on his own, but just good enough that you can't move on from him.  Then again, Eli Manning is the same kind of QB and he worked out well for the Giants.

(big dropoff)

Tier 3: Rosen

He hasn't even shown any flashes that I can recall, and the fact that Arizona watched him for a year and dumped him at the first opportunity says a lot.  If Miami throws him into the starting lineup, he may literally get killed before the season ends.  

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Jackson had a couple good games, but he was playing trash teams (worst team this year in the Dolphins, and the worst team from last year in the Cardinals.) Let's see how the rest of the season unfolds before announcing him a good QB.

To me Mayfield, Allen, and Darnold are on equal footing. But Rosen is last for sure. I don't include Rudolph because he has not played barely at all and wasn't a first round pick.

Lamar is in the right system for his skills - Roman will get the most out of him and although his first two games were against the weakest opponents I do not see Baltimore collapsing. That being said, if Lamar gets dinged and has to throw from the pocket, he loses the read-option running threat and he could struggle.

Kind of the same fear I had with Allen relying too much on his legs last year - you have to develop good pocket skills to last in this league.

I am not a big fan of rating these QBs, just because they are in different systems, with different supporting casts, and different skill sets. They all bring something unique to the table and it is something to have that many starters come out of one class. I don't know that last time that has happened - I will leave it to our history buffs to find out.

I have been a bit surprised at how well Darnold has played for the Jets, he is solid, and I think he has the tools to stick in the league for a while if he can stay healthy. 

Edited by WideNine