How would you rank the QBs of the 2018 NFL draft today in hindsight?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let me guess, you weren’t a fan of Lamar coming out were you? That’s kind of the point that I’m making. People do the same thing with Josh. You can cherry pick whatever you want with either but the reality is Lamar is 8-1 as a starter and been dominant this year. He was effective last year, as was Josh, and both appear to have taken massive steps. That’s what happens with young QBs. 

I put some of this year on Roman. What will be telling is how he handles progressing in the offense. That is where Kaep and Tyrod, to a lesser extent, failed. Roman will keep progressing the scheme and playbook and the limiting factor will eventually be what Lamar can realistically handle. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Sunshower said:

I think as of now it’d look like:

1. Baker

2. Lamar

3. Allen

4. Darnold

5. Rudolph

6. Rosen

Obviously I think this has shaped out to be a pretty darn good group of QBs. I think Allen could potentially be the best QB of that class but I never expected Lamar to be so good, what a shocker! I had to put him #2 but he could simply be hot water, who knows?

Is Lamar really that good? They have played 2 of the worst teams in the NFL in Miami and Arizona, also consider the best corner in the league wasn't playing this week when they played Arizona. I think he's had 2 great games but we need to see how he plays agains better teams. If he continues to play this well, then I think he's progressed faster than any of the other QBs in the class and could possibly be the best of the group. 

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Lamar is in the right system for his skills - Roman will get the most out of him and although his first two games were against the weakest opponents I do not see Baltimore collapsing. That being said, if Lamar gets dinged and has to throw from the pocket, he loses the read-option running threat and he could struggle.

Kind of the same fear I had with Allen relying too much on his legs last year - you have to develop good pocket skills to last in this league.

I am not a big fan of rating these QBs, just because they are in different systems, with different supporting casts, and different skill sets. They all bring something unique to the table and it is something to have that many starters come out of one class. I don't know that last time that has happened - I will leave it to our history buffs to find out.

I have been a bit surprised at how well Darnold has played for the Jets, he is solid, and I think he has the tools to stick in the league for a while if he can stay healthy.

I agree. But we saw last year what good defenses can do against Lamar Jackson. Force him to be a QB and he crumbles. I don't see that changing after one off season. I just think they are a well coached, well schemed offense that faced two terrible teams. They'll get their wins, but I still think Jackson is limited and will be exposed later this season.

1)  Mayfield

2) Allen

3)  Darnold

4) Jackson

5)  Rosen

6)  Everyone else

Jackson is getting too much credit for destroying two terrible defenses - sorry one epically bad defense and one god awful defense - this season.  He’ll come down to earth when he has to be a real NFL QB. 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

For me, it’s:

1. Lamar

2. Baker

3. Allen

4. Darnold

5. Rosen

What was your ranking of Jackson before the season? After two games against two of the worst teams in the NFL you are willing to vault him to the top of the list?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is out on everyone with a few starts. However, they are 15-7 as starters (Jackson is 8-1). If you thought that Jackson “was a RB” or Allen’s completion percentage would prevent him from ever having success you were wrong. It doesn’t mean that they will end up in the HOF but both have already proven that they can be effective, and at times dominant, NFL QBs.

What if you said that you thought all 5 of them would be franchise guys?

Asking for a friend...

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The team went 6-1 last season when he started and never scored fewer than 20 points. The only game they lost was to KC in OT.

And little of that had to do with Jackson throwing the football.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What if you said that you thought all 5 of them would be franchise guys?

Asking for a friend...

Ha ha, I’d say that you probably spent a fair amount of time analyzing them all and blocking out the noise from the talking heads.

FWIW, they all may be franchise guys still. Rosen has been in disastrous situations but not ready to bury him yet. If he ends up in Pittsburgh or New Orleans or New England he has a chance to be developed. All of those teams (excluding maybe Pittsburgh) need their “next” guy.  Miami could easily pull the plug on him. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

And little of that had to do with Jackson throwing the football.

...but EVERYTHING had to do with him playing QB. You can win in this league a variety of ways. Josh won late last year primarily with his legs too. His passing has caught up this year. It’s the exact same thing. You win by scoring points not by accumulating passing stats.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sunshower said:

1. Baker

2. Lamar

3. Allen

4. Darnold

5. Rudolph

6. Rosen

Obviously I think this has shaped out to be a pretty darn good group of QBs. I think Allen could potentially be the best QB of that class but I never expected Lamar to be so good, what a shocker! I had to put him #2 but he could simply be hot water, who knows?

I said it during draft time and I still believe it. I expected Lamar to have 3-4 very good years in the league but once his legs start to go I don’t think he will have the longevity of some of the other guys. It was one of the best QB classes ever though. I know Baker has been the consensus number 1 but he is going to have to play much better tonight to hold onto that ranking imo. I think those ranking are pretty spot on for the moment. Allen still has a good shot to be the best in the class. 

4 hours ago, Sunshower said:

1. Baker

2. Lamar

3. Allen

4. Darnold

5. Rudolph

6. Rosen

I think Lamar will crash and burn when teams follow the blueprint we saw in the playoffs.  As of right now, I can't say Rudolph is better than anyone after less than a game.

9 minutes ago, billspro said:

I said it during draft time and I still believe it. I expected Lamar to have 3-4 very good years in the league but once his legs start to go I don’t think he will have the longevity of some of the other guys. It was one of the best QB classes ever though. I know Baker has been the consensus number 1 but he is going to have to play much better tonight to hold onto that ranking imo. I think those ranking are pretty spot on for the moment. Allen still has a good shot to be the best in the class. 

I am going to cautiously say that you are right. I wouldn’t trade Allen for Mayfield even and he was ranked pretty much unilaterally as everyone’s top QB.

Why would I say this? Well because twice yesterday I witnessed Allen sprint full speed to his right and throw two darts on the move, right on the money for 20 yards. The wow factor is off the charts and unbelievable with this guy. I am super biased but from a sheer entertainment value, Allen is one of the most entertaining players in the NFL. The way he plays is just fun. When you sprinkle in Singletary it certainly makes Sundays for us Bills fans enjoyable.

Your assessment of Lamar may be accurate, may not be. Personally I’m going to shove my foot in my mouth before I say another bad thing about him. He made his arrival known twice so far this year as a passer. I think I uh done did it when I said he’d be a bust. 

In closing, Lamar and Baker have both had F U arrival games in their careers. Just an undeniable F U to the league that they are dominant NFL QBs. Allen has had many, many, many plays like that but we’ve yet to see an entire domination over the course of an entire game, so with that said I have to rank him #3 right now (objectively), but it would not shock me even a tiny bit if he turns into the top dog alpha QB of the 2018 class, it’s entirely possible. I wouldn’t trade him for any player in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FiftyPercent said:

Let me guess, you think Allen should be higher, because, Bills fan...

Bills fan nothing to do with it and yes to thispoint in time Allen would be higher. . As time goes on who knows.

Edited by Radar

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I liked all 5 of the QBs (I didn’t have Rudolph in that mix). Rosen and Baker were my two favorites coming in. I was mad when we took Allen instead of Rosen so not saying I was right. It’s the people that were positive Allen and/or Lamar would suck that are still digging in that look like idiots. 

That’s exactly where I was. I even offered here keeping the twelfth pick and taking Lamar and then still having the other #1. But I wanted Rosen over Allen and I was skeptical of Darnold because he was a turnover machine. It’s really impossible to gauge these quarterbacks with any consistency. 

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think the sudden love affair people have the Lamar is absurd.

It's not a love affair when a rookie takes your team to the playoffs last year and came damn near close to beating the Chargers in the playoffs. Then opens up the season with such strong performances. The dude has a 8-1 record,  he just wins games. 

He's basically the QB Tyrod wishes he could become someday. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

1.Mayfield is the only one to almost prove consistently serviceable. Very good rookie year/one poor game this year.

2. Allen/Darnold- Darnold did better than expected with a poor team last year. Josh had 4 turnovers week one against mayfield’s 3. I agree with whoever said Allen has the highest floor and highest ceiling. I love that the Josh Allen we saw yesterday was his response to a four turnover game. J.A. Is never down for the count.

4.  Lamar is going to be viewed as a product of Roman. It’s a better option than he had with us. As usual the system will be caught on to and Lamar will have to start running A LOT. I’m going to bet on injury this year due to foreseeable events.

5. Rudolph- no sample size

6. Rosen- Cardinals were just bad from front office down last year, no foundation. No system to grasp and not even really much of a team to be a part of this year.  Has had the least fair shake but it’s what he deserves (douche). Can’t stand him, never could either. I don’t think he can rally a team/entitled. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

I guess you are giving Mayfield a pass on his only performance this year? 3 picks, 64.0 rating, 5 sacks, 0-1 record. You have him ranked #1? Did that not happen or are you going back to last year's performance? Interesting.

Last years performance from Mayfield should hold much more water than one game from this season.  If he struggles again tonight then we can revisit Mayfield falling in these rankings. If he goes out tonight and throws 3 TDs and 300 yards with no picks then he is who we thought he was last year still. 

I still don't quite trust Lamar Jackson and think Allen's game translates to long-term success the most. But I guess at this point you would have to give it up to Lamar and rank him second given how good he was in his last two starts. He could quickly overtake Mayfield depending on if Mayfield struggles again or if Lamar continues to breakout like 2018 Mahomes.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib