Blind side block

pennstate10

BS call but the rules protect all players now

Crackback blocks or peel back blocks are now illegal

I don't even think it was a textbook peel back block but that's the way the game is going

It's to eliminate the Hines Ward and Jarvis Landry blocks of the world that pretty much decapitated guys

The refs overall yesterday were very ticky tack with the calls . At least their ineptness evened out for both teams . However, the blind side block was completely mild and more of a gentle body check than a vicious hit. It should have never got a flag. The Giants defensive penalty on the FG was also a bit harsh although the he did grab his head. It wasn't a Deacon Jones head slap from the 70s.  The real gaffe from the officials came in the Saints game on the fumble return TD that was blown dead. I don't know what the issue if with the NFL but instead of getting better, these guys are getting worse every year!

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The good news is: The NFL fixed the "what's the true definition of a CATCH?" problem.

The bad news is: They "fixed" it by introducing the "what's the true definition of PASS INTERFERENCE?" problem.

i can't believe they keep this up into November

I thought maybe they called it because he peeled back to the defender. So even if it wasn't a big hit maybe that's why.

My biggest issue was the holding call on Morse. There was clearly no hold.

I actually think the call for roughing the center on the field goal was legitimate. The defender rushed past the center and slammed into his head with his thigh, which is why it was called. He wasn't even engaging the center, just running past him and making contact with his head. I think it is the right call.

I would have liked to get a better look at the punt where they downed us on the two yard line. It looked to me like the player stepped on the line when he dove into the end zone to redirect the ball.

I thought, (and so did the commentators) that that was a really weak call. Knox basically just put his shoulder into him, and shifted him away. From memory, it was even pretty much shoulder to shoulder, the only aspect being the guy wasn't looking at him.

Tbh, both teams had calls missed etc. but I was annoyed when Ford got his penalty, as whoever he pushed over, had been all over Allen, and had hit him on the helmet with his arm.

Just because Allen is a big unit, doesn't mean he shouldn't get the same protection as other QBs do.

Overall, I think in the poor calls that did happen, both teams were roughly equally shafted.

At no point did I think they started to call stuff that they hadn't been calling throughout the game, even if they were getting it wrong, and in its own way, at least that was consistent.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The good news is: The NFL fixed the "what's the true definition of a CATCH?" problem.

The bad news is: They "fixed" it by introducing the "what's the true definition of PASS INTERFERENCE?" problem.

The worst call was the "inadvertent whistle" is the Saints game that cost the Saints an early go ahead TD.  They always seem to find a way to screw things up. If it's not one thing, it's another.

That was a very weak penalty. It was NOT the kind of blind side violent hit where players get hurt after an interception. It was NOT a clip, it was a block right in the middle of traffic. Back to the drawing board on this one, it needs to be fixed. The wording led to unintended consequences and now they can talk about it over lobster bisque in Palm Springs or Naples next off-season. 

7 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

The refs made it up to us on that FG attempt in the 4th.

I don’t know. Both of them are pretty much plain as day. Especially the one against the Giants on the FG. It’s been that way for years. You can’t engage with the long snapper when his head is down. This isn’t new. The giants player very clearly did. It’s not “ticky tack” as I’ve seen some people state. It’s black and white. You cannot engage with him. He did. Thus, he got flagged.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

The reason I highlighted this play is because I dont know how to fix it.

On allens fumble, the fix is simple.  Dont blow the whistle early.

On the FG personal foul, the fix is simple.  Dont slap the guy on the head.

But on this blind side call, if youre the TE assigned to block a DB or LB on the play, what do you do next time this happens?

Just watch the guy tackle your ball carrier?  Ask the DB/LB to look at you?

Its a stupid rule, and should be fixed, either in how its written or how its implemented.

Allen’s forward progress was stopped and he was being pulled backwards, it was blown dead for that and rightfully so...