Blind side block

pennstate10

I thought this was a ludakris call.

I get that the rule was added for player safety, but I think it was meant to protect kickers, and offensive players who unexpectedly find themselves as defenders after an INT or blocked kick.  Players who arent accustomed to pursuing and tackling.

The Bills TE flagged was blocking on a more or less routine play. And not in the open field, away from the play, but right at the scrum involving the ball carrier.

What is he supposed to do?  Say, "Mr. Giant, I am about to block you.  Please turn your head"?

If he doesnt block the guy, here is todays film review.

Bills coach:  "WTF didnt you block that guy.  You were standing right next to him!!!"

Bill TE:  "uh, he wasnt looking at me.  I even asked him nicely to turn his head, but he wouldnt".

The rule needs to be changed, or enforced only on possession changes.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I get that the rule was added for player safety, but I think it was meant to protect kickers, and offensive players who unexpectedly find themselves as defenders after an INT or blocked kick.  Players who arent accustomed to pursuing and tackling.

The Bills TE flagged was blocking on a more or less routine play. And not in the open field, away from the play, but right at the scrum involving the ball carrier.

What is he supposed to do?  Say, "Mr. Giant, I am about to block you.  Please turn your head"?

Bills coach:  "WTF didnt you block that guy.  You were standing right next to him!!!"

Bill TE:  "uh, he wasnt looking at me.  I even asked him nicely to turn his head, but he wouldnt".

There were a few awful calls yesterday, for both clubs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

But, things generally even out, like the Allen fumble that wasn't (on the sack), and the rather weak personal foul call on the field goal.

The blindside block and the phantom Morse hold were both awful calls.

We did get lucky on the weird Allen sack/fumble where everyone ran around confused, blowing whistles, as the ball was laying there for a scoop and score.

Edited by SCBills

The most confusing part to me was that we got a penalty and somehow started the next play "1st and 9".

Like, I get that it was a spot foul, and happened up-field, and we still lost 15 yards... but shouldnt it be 1st and 10 regardless? It wasnt going to be 1st and -6 without the penalty.

43 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and another Monday morning where every fanbase is convinced the refs screwed them over again

even the Patriots fans complain

The reason I highlighted this play is because I dont know how to fix it.

On allens fumble, the fix is simple.  Dont blow the whistle early.

On the FG personal foul, the fix is simple.  Dont slap the guy on the head.

But on this blind side call, if youre the TE assigned to block a DB or LB on the play, what do you do next time this happens?

Just watch the guy tackle your ball carrier?  Ask the DB/LB to look at you?

Its a stupid rule, and should be fixed, either in how its written or how its implemented.

14 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

The reason I highlighted this play is because I dont know how to fix it.

On allens fumble, the fix is simple.  Dont blow the whistle early.

On the FG personal foul, the fix is simple.  Dont slap the guy on the head.

But on this blind side call, if youre the TE assigned to block a DB or LB on the play, what do you do next time this happens?

Just watch the guy tackle your ball carrier?  Ask the DB/LB to look at you?

Its a stupid rule, and should be fixed, either in how its written or how its implemented.

if the man is hurt then the flags fly, if he doesn't lay there for 30 seconds then nothing to be called?