Will Poyer be fined?

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yeah, I think the league hits him with a fine. It was helmet to helmet and he almost seemed to launch himself a bit. 

This.

7 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The helmet impact was the side of both helmets.  He did lead with the shoulder, and didn't hit directly w the helmet.  I am thinking he should not get fined, but, the league is political, not fair.  NYC is a big audience, and they may well play to that fan base.

You need a bigger screen TV

28 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think it was dirty - more unlucky - as both guys ducked in, but yes I would expect a fine a he did end up going helmet to helmet.

It looked like he was trying to lead with his shoulder and just got head to head.

that's what i thought as well.  just bad timing.

It wasn't a crown hit and it looked to be incidental contact due to the collision/angle in real time.  In slow motion replay you can see earlier contact.  I dont think it can be considered leading with his head though that was the initial contact point.  With the NFL these days you never know.  Its probably a coin flip TBH.

That hit looked exactly like every example video of what is not allowed, except he turned his head at the last second, so he hit him with the side of his head.

It was a bad hit. Don't think it was dirty, because he did try and turn his head, but he launched forward with his head for sure. If someone hit Brown like that, we'd be going crazy.

41 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

it's a tough call, he did one of those side hits where you try to lead with your shoulder by you really lead with the side of your head, because that's how the human body works. It's bad form and I hate that style of tackle. Unfortunately,  Latimer braced for the tackle by leading with the side of his head too. There didn't seem to be any malice in it, just bad technique by two players at the same time.

Maybe both should be fined. 

33 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Yeah it looked to me like he lead with his shoulder as well. The problem was Fowler's shoulder dipped to and they ended up with some helmet to helmet contact. Like several said, it wasn't intentional but contact is contact. The thing that gets me, is they will never be able to take away helmet to helmet contact. There will be times where you'll get incidental contact like that. That said, he will probably be fined in the 10K range.

this is the problem with fining every helmet to helmet hit.  Eventually, a small minority of knucklehead players will say, "wtf," I'm going to be fined anyway, might as well lead with the helmet sometimes.  They really need to try to determine intent in these plays.  When you lead with your schoulder and the other guy moves and it ends up being helmet to helmet, that should not be a fine.  

The most ridiculous proposed helmet hit fine this year is on Raiders safety Abrams.  It appears here the NFL will argue "intent." (it's all it can).  So what is it NFL, intent, or actual hit.  Having it both ways is absurd.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/14/adding-insult-to-injury-nfl-fines-johnathan-abram/

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe both should be fined. 

if they are going to issue a fine, both should be.  

• Like (+1) 1

For sure.  I don't think it was that bad of a hit and he definitely turned his body and head to try to make shoulder to shoulder contact but the fact is their heads hit and that's all the NFL will see.  I don't doubt that he will have a larger fine than Anderson either because consistency.

I don't think the DB should be penalized or fined when the WR changes position and incidental helmet contact is made. Hard to apply that rule but seems unfair when DB is targetting a chest or shoulder and WR lowers his body.

I didn't see that happen on this play. Poyer was leading with his shoulder but then lowered his head further as the player was going down and made helmet contact.  Very hard to notice that at full speed unless the ref could hear helmets collide.