Is Singletary Daboll’s secret weapon?

Inigo Montoya

Thanks for publicizing the secret OP! There goes Week 4 advantage. ;) In all seriousness, Singletary may go down as one of the real steals of this last draft--was really surprised when Shady was cut that close to the opener, but it looks like the running game is set after all. Also hope he is 100% healthy going into Cincy. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

McD seems to come from the make “Rookies earn it” school. This is important for his view of team chemistry. 

I would love to see Singletary get more touches as well as a few for Yeldon. 

I think there is also a desire to get the O line into the swing of power running which suits Gore. If we have a top third of the league ability, in that area,  later in the season these games will have paid their dividends.

I think we'll see Yeldon more against the Pats as a receiver from the backfield. I'd use Yeldon in Dimarco's role.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

McD seems to come from the make “Rookies earn it” school. This is important for his view of team chemistry. 

I would love to see Singletary get more touches as well as a few for Yeldon. 

I think there is also a desire to get the O line into the swing of power running which suits Gore. If we have a top third of the league ability, in that area,  later in the season these games will have paid their dividends.

Agree with this.  

The last two years, we've seen a lot of rookies getting tons of snaps.  But that was out of necessity, because our roster had very little depth.

I think McDermott prefers easing his younger players into the lineup gradually.  You will see that Ed Oliver and Cody Ford are both splitting reps.

Don't forget the importance that our coaches also place on blocking and ball security.  

Not to say that Singletary struggles in those areas, but there is also a confidence when rolling with a vet like Gore.

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

Given the Pats last 2 opponents, I’m not convinced they’re dominant. Not saying they’re not a good team, but dominant in terms of unbeatable I don’t see yet. They already made the mistake of signing a tumor that could fester that whole franchise 

defending champs that had a great draft and added a HOF caliber WR. They're probably dominant.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Patriots are always hard to beat.  No news flash there.  I thought the schedulers helped us out by scheduling them at New Era week 4 because the Pats usually start the season slow, but not this season. The Pats look mid season form already.  The Steelers and Dolphins might not be great teams, but the Pats dominated both in all three phases of the game.  It is going to take a great game from the Bills and some luck to beat the Patriots in week four.  Having two dozen Singletary plays to spring on the Pats would help even out those odds a little bit.

Quite honestly, I think we could have flat out dominated the Giants. Only thing that’s gonna make this game against the Pats interesting is how keen the Bills are in throwing the PI challenge flag on those pick plays the Pats are so infamous for.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

They've won, collectively, 76-3 in two games.  That defines dominant.

Like I said, I’m not saying they’re not a good team. But hanging a 40 burger on a Dolphins team that couldn’t beat a pop warner team isn’t really saying much imo. And I’m not gonna say the Bills ARE gonna win, but they have as good a chance as any team the Pats have played up to that point

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I was wondering going into the second half yesterday why Daboll wasn’t putting the ball into Singletary’s hands.  Obviously he is electric when he touches it and it got me to thinking.

We didn’t see Singletary let loose until the second half versus the Jets when the game was on the line and the Bills were staring a week one loss in the face.  We barely saw Singletary yesterday but the game was in hand for the most part.

I’m starting to suspect that Daboll is deliberately keeping Singletary under wraps so he can unleash him on an unprepared Patriots week four.  He might see Singletary as his ace in the hole that will give the Bills a shot to beat a Patriot team that looks dominant.

Surely Daboll has a hundred Singletary plays drawn up.  Is there any possible reason we haven’t seen a single screen pass to Singletary this season especially when we have lineman who can pull so effectively?  I think Daboll is going to keep Singletary under wraps as much as possible until he faces the Pat’s defense.  It’s like playing a vanilla scheme in the preseason so you don’t tip your hand on the regular season’s playbook.

I just can’t think of another reason why Daboll is sitting on the most electric player on our offense.

I hope Singletary’s tweaked hammy doesn’t render all of this a moot point.

I hope Singletary's hamstring is tweaked or was a cramp too.

I agree with everything else you said to.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I was wondering going into the second half yesterday why Daboll wasn’t putting the ball into Singletary’s hands.  Obviously he is electric when he touches it and it got me to thinking.

We didn’t see Singletary let loose until the second half versus the Jets when the game was on the line and the Bills were staring a week one loss in the face.  We barely saw Singletary yesterday but the game was in hand for the most part.

I’m starting to suspect that Daboll is deliberately keeping Singletary under wraps so he can unleash him on an unprepared Patriots week four.  He might see Singletary as his ace in the hole that will give the Bills a shot to beat a Patriot team that looks dominant.

Surely Daboll has a hundred Singletary plays drawn up.  Is there any possible reason we haven’t seen a single screen pass to Singletary this season especially when we have lineman who can pull so effectively?  I think Daboll is going to keep Singletary under wraps as much as possible until he faces the Pat’s defense.  It’s like playing a vanilla scheme in the preseason so you don’t tip your hand on the regular season’s playbook.

I just can’t think of another reason why Daboll is sitting on the most electric player on our offense.

I hope Singletary’s tweaked hammy doesn’t render all of this a moot point.

If you figured out this secret by watching games, I think the patriots can crack the code...

its td not like Singletary is this unique player that is going to be unleashed and does things no RB does so you can’t gameplan for him without tape.  It’s an absurd theory 

38 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

If you figured out this secret by watching games, I think the patriots can crack the code...

its td not like Singletary is this unique player that is going to be unleashed and does things no RB does so you can’t gameplan for him without tape.  It’s an absurd theory 

My bad.

You’re probably right.  I’ve long suspected the real reason teams watch film on their opponents is because they’re bored and you can only watch “Golden Girls” reruns so many times.  There’s nothing useful to be gained by watching tape to learn what types of plays they run out of certain formations or what their tendencies are.  That’s probably why no one in the NFL does film study.  Because it’s not helpful.  

Absolutely absurd...   ?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My bad.

You’re probably right.  I’ve long suspected the real reason teams watch film on their opponents is because they’re bored and you can only watch “Golden Girls” reruns so many times.  There’s nothing useful to be gained by watching tape to learn what types of plays they run out of certain formations or what their tendencies are.  That’s probably why no one in the NFL does film study.  Because it’s not helpful.  

Absolutely absurd...   ?

Yea because I said game tape is useless (rolls eye)....  That wasn't the absurd part.  The absurd part is a theory a team would not use a play maker for the reason of not having gametape on him for a week 4 matchup.  

Give me one example of an nfl team not using a player for a month so they could unleash him in a regular season game.  You can't, that is why its absurd.  

4 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Yea because I said game tape is useless (rolls eye)....  That wasn't the absurd part.  The absurd part is a theory a team would not use a play maker for the reason of not having gametape on him for a week 4 matchup.  

Give me one example of an nfl team not using a player for a month so they could unleash him in a regular season game.  You can't, that is why its absurd.  

Let people have a little fun...

You would think people would be a bit more congenial after two straight wins, on the road, to start the season.

18 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Playing the Pats is like a playoff game for this franchise and being able to even split the season series with them would be huge and give us a chance to win the division out right and not need a wild card to make the playoffs.

If the Pats and the Bills both sweep the Jets and Phins it’s not an overstatement to say week 4 at New Era has significant playoff implications.  Do you think Daboll and McDermott haven’t thought of that?

Maybe you have a better explanation for why you don’t let someone touch the ball who is averaging 17+ yards per carry.  Daboll isn’t stupid, he knows how important week 4 is for this team.

If keeping Singletary under wraps for the first three games gives them an advantage against the Pats I think that’s exactly something that Daboll would do.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

5 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

You wanna know what I think it is? I think they’re simply wearing down the defense with Gore and inserting Singletary in after the D is all worn down.

Certainly possible Sunshower.  I think there may be more to it than that though.

• Thank you (+1) 1