Is Singletary Daboll’s secret weapon?

Inigo Montoya

I was wondering going into the second half yesterday why Daboll wasn’t putting the ball into Singletary’s hands.  Obviously he is electric when he touches it and it got me to thinking.

We didn’t see Singletary let loose until the second half versus the Jets when the game was on the line and the Bills were staring a week one loss in the face.  We barely saw Singletary yesterday but the game was in hand for the most part.

I’m starting to suspect that Daboll is deliberately keeping Singletary under wraps so he can unleash him on an unprepared Patriots week four.  He might see Singletary as his ace in the hole that will give the Bills a shot to beat a Patriot team that looks dominant.

Surely Daboll has a hundred Singletary plays drawn up.  Is there any possible reason we haven’t seen a single screen pass to Singletary this season especially when we have lineman who can pull so effectively?  I think Daboll is going to keep Singletary under wraps as much as possible until he faces the Pat’s defense.  It’s like playing a vanilla scheme in the preseason so you don’t tip your hand on the regular season’s playbook.

I just can’t think of another reason why Daboll is sitting on the most electric player on our offense.

I hope Singletary’s tweaked hammy doesn’t render all of this a moot point.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Given the Pats last 2 opponents, I’m not convinced they’re dominant. Not saying they’re not a good team, but dominant in terms of unbeatable I don’t see yet. They already made the mistake of signing a tumor that could fester that whole franchise 

They've won, collectively, 76-3 in two games.  That defines dominant.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Given the Pats last 2 opponents, I’m not convinced they’re dominant. Not saying they’re not a good team, but dominant in terms of unbeatable I don’t see yet. They already made the mistake of signing a tumor that could fester that whole franchise 

The Patriots are always hard to beat.  No news flash there.  I thought the schedulers helped us out by scheduling them at New Era week 4 because the Pats usually start the season slow, but not this season. The Pats look mid season form already.  The Steelers and Dolphins might not be great teams, but the Pats dominated both in all three phases of the game.  It is going to take a great game from the Bills and some luck to beat the Patriots in week four.  Having two dozen Singletary plays to spring on the Pats would help even out those odds a little bit.

I think he is a rookie from a small school. He is being brought along slowly with purpose.  He has never been hit by guys with the size and speed of the NFL. So far his pass blocking seems fine, but that could be a worry too.  Lastly there is the rookie wall so a few less touches now may mean more in Dec and Jan. Stay the course and get him more touches as the season progresses.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That is backwards though. You would want Singletary early to score and Gore late to seal the game

I mean split the season:

1st 8 games heavy Gore, light Singletary

Last 8 games heavy Singletary, light Gore

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They've won, collectively, 76-3 in two games.  That defines dominant.

Against a dysfunctional looking Steelers team and the worst team in at NFL.

Let them play us( I am not expecting a win) and the Chiefs and we’ll see who they are.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think he is a rookie from a small school. He is being brought along slowly with purpose.  He has never been hit by guys with the size and speed of the NFL. So far his pass blocking seems fine, but that could be a worry too.  Lastly there is the rookie wall so a few less touches now may mean more in Dec and Jan. Stay the course and get him more touches as the season progresses.

McD seems to come from the make “Rookies earn it” school. This is important for his view of team chemistry. 

I would love to see Singletary get more touches as well as a few for Yeldon. 

I think there is also a desire to get the O line into the swing of power running which suits Gore. If we have a top third of the league ability, in that area,  later in the season these games will have paid their dividends.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

You can't question the Pats' competition without at the same time questioning the Bills' competition in their two wins