Peter King Football Morning in America - Bills notes

YoloinOhio

On the first two weekends of the NFL season—Sept. 7-8 and Sept. 14-15—there was a sameness for the Buffalo Bills, who played road games against the Jets and the Giants in New Jersey on the first two Sundays of the season.

On two straight Saturdays, the Bills had a 2 p.m. departure on a United Airlines charter from the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, flying to Newark International Airport.

On two straight Saturdays, the Bills checked into the Westin Jersey City shortly after 4 p.m.

On two straight Saturdays, quarterback Josh Allen checked into room 701 at the Westin Jersey City.

On two straight Saturdays, between 4:15 and 5:15 p.m., Bills coach Sean McDermott and a few key players had their network production meeting with the CBS TV crews doing the games in the Constellation Room on the fourth floor of the hotel.

On two straight Saturdays, Josh Allen ordered the barbecued ribs from room service for dinner.

On two straight Saturdays, at 8:30 p.m., McDermott convened the weekly team meeting in the hotel’s Newport 1 ballroom.

On two straight Sundays, the first of four team buses left the Westin Jersey City at 9:15 a.m. for the 25-minute ride to MetLife Stadium.

On two straight Sundays, the Bills kicked off minutes after 1 p.m. at MetLife Stadium, under mostly sunny skies with temperatures in the high seventies.

On two straight Sundays, Allen threw for 250 yards and change (254 against the Jets, 253 against the Giants).

On two straight Sundays, the Bills won road games in New Jersey.

On two straight Sundays, the Bills finished within a minute of the same time: at 4:14 p.m. against the Jets, at 4:13 p.m. against the Giants.

On two straight Sundays, the Bills’ United Airlines charter left Newark International Airport and landed back in Buffalo within five minutes of each other. Arrival last week: 7:27 p.m. Arrival this week: 7:22 p.m.

The Bills Can’t Wait to Get Home

You’re going to love my factoid (I hope) about the Bills opening the season with identical road trips to Jersey City/East Rutherford. New Jersey, said quarterback Josh Allen, “started to feel like home, I’m not gonna lie. But now we get to go to our real home, and the crowd will be fantastic for us next Sunday against Cincinnati. At home, you don’t have to use your silent snap count, and you can just focus on playing.” Check out the slate for the 2-0 Bills between now and Nov. 3: Cincinnati home, New England home, at Tennessee, bye, Miami home, Philadelphia home, Washington home. Five of six in the land of Bills Mafia. It’s dream-like, but is there any reason this team can’t be 6-2 at the halfway point?

One of the things I noticed watching Allen on Sunday, intermittently, is he seems to be getting out of the habit of forcing the ball. Late in the game against the Giants, trying to add to a 21-14 lead, he rolled right and really wanted to hit one of two targets in the end zone. But they windows were too small. He threw it away. “We were up seven, and a field goal puts us up two scores, and the defense can finish it off for us,” he said. “The big lesson for me this year is be smart with the football. I feel like [offensive coordinator] Brian Daboll and coach [Sean] McDermott have spent a lot of time teaching me how to play football. They’ve really coached me in the little things.”

“Have you noticed the Patriots have won their first two games by a thousand points?” I asked.

“That’s not on our radar,” Allen said. “I’m focused on enjoying this one and playing Cincinnati.” Good answer.

On the first two weekends of the NFL season—Sept. 7-8 and Sept. 14-15—there was a sameness for the Buffalo Bills, who played road games against the Jets and the Giants in New Jersey on the first two Sundays of the season.

On two straight Saturdays, the Bills had a 2 p.m. departure on a United Airlines charter from the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, flying to Newark International Airport.

On two straight Saturdays, the Bills checked into the Westin Jersey City shortly after 4 p.m.

On two straight Saturdays, quarterback Josh Allen checked into room 701 at the Westin Jersey City.

On two straight Saturdays, between 4:15 and 5:15 p.m., Bills coach Sean McDermott and a few key players had their network production meeting with the CBS TV crews doing the games in the Constellation Room on the fourth floor of the hotel.

On two straight Saturdays, Josh Allen ordered the barbecued ribs from room service for dinner.

On two straight Saturdays, at 8:30 p.m., McDermott convened the weekly team meeting in the hotel’s Newport 1 ballroom.

On two straight Sundays, the first of four team buses left the Westin Jersey City at 9:15 a.m. for the 25-minute ride to MetLife Stadium.

On two straight Sundays, the Bills kicked off minutes after 1 p.m. at MetLife Stadium, under mostly sunny skies with temperatures in the high seventies.

On two straight Sundays, Allen threw for 250 yards and change (254 against the Jets, 253 against the Giants).

On two straight Sundays, the Bills finished within a minute of the same time: at 4:14 p.m. against the Jets, at 4:13 p.m. against the Giants.

On two straight Sundays, the Bills’ United Airlines charter left Newark International Airport and landed back in Buffalo within five minutes of each other. Arrival last week: 7:27 p.m. Arrival this week: 7:22 p.m.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/16/nfl-refs-week-2-fmia-peter-king/

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

@YoloinOhio

Jeremy White:  (paraphrasing) Allen is better in yards per attempt, but the league as a whole is better, so...

JW is not ripping Allen, at all.  Actually, he generally approves of his play.

However, guys, I am tired of this.  I truly am and I don't know about the rest of you.  I am tired of this day and age where we over analyze a player to utter and complete death...he's doing better, but everybody is doing better.  He looked good, but look who he played against.  He's using less toilet paper plies when he wipes, but other QBs are using even less.

He played well (again) and we won...again.  I don't know how he is going to play in the future or even next week, but I am encouraged.  I don't need to bury myself in the analytics of it because...well, either I am just too damn old or, what the hell...maybe just because of "any given Sunday", ya know?

Go Bills...and fans of the Buffalo Bills...enjoy yourselves, because I don't want to see you sadly climb to the top of a mountain, sit down, and try and figure out why birds s*** and why and how Josh Allen is doing as a QB by pouring over the data and trying to project from there.

EDIT:

"Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

- Ferris Bueller-

Thank you, Ferris.  Thank you.

...and hey, get better soon.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@YoloinOhio

Jeremy White:  (paraphrasing) Allen is better in yards per attempt, but the league as a whole is better, so...

However, guys, I am tired of this.  I truly am and I don't know about the rest of you.  I am tired of this day and age where we over analyze a player to utter and complete death...he's doing better, but everybody is doing better.  He looked good, but look who he played against.  He's using less toilet paper plies when he wipes, but other QBs are using even less.

He played well (again) and we won...again.  I don't know how he is going to play in the future or even next week, but I am encouraged.  I don't need to bury myself in the analytics of it because...well, either I am just too damn old or, what the hell...maybe just because of "any given Sunday", ya know?

Go Bills...and fans of the Buffalo Bills...enjoy yourselves!

I just love that if it’s 3rd and 7+....I don’t think we’re checking it down just to punt.

We are actually looking to covert.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I could care less what anyone in the media says about Josh. As long as we keep winning that is all that matters. They can take all of their angles, and their statistics, turn them sumb*tches sideways, and shove them straight up their candy a**es. 

Image result for dwayne johnson eyebrow gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@YoloinOhio

Go Bills...and fans of the Buffalo Bills...enjoy yourselves!

I agree 100%.  It's the eye test baby and Allen passes that one. 

My guess is all this numbers stuff is a natural reaction by human beings who want to control every situation.  It's in our genetics.  Football is a violent, chaotic game that is also tightly controlled and planned out.  It really is a form of "war" carried out in a much less fatal environment.  Analyzing the numbers gives us a false confidence that we actually can predict events. 

Clearly there is a place in football for statistical analysis.  And yes such analysis can provide insight into players and teams.  But they're are over analyzing things; particularly for Allen.  I mean EVERY SINGLE PASS he throws is critiqued.  This isn't the Olympic Diving Championships! 

Hell some of the biggest plays a QB makes is when they throw it up for grabs and a WR comes down with a 50 yard TD! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@YoloinOhio

Go Bills...and fans of the Buffalo Bills...enjoy yourselves, because I don't want to see you sadly climb to the top of a mountain, sit down, and try and figure out why birds s*** and why and how Josh Allen is doing as a QB by pouring over the data and trying to project from there.

He was a highly controversial draft prospect and he is our QB now.  Any media content focused on him as the onfield leader of this franchise and his progress (or lack thereof) is going to generate a response.  It's not going to stop.

You say Josh is doing better, but EVERYBODY is doing better?    Uh no.  Lots of players and teams are doing worse.  

Guys that have had MVP type seasons are struggling (Cam, Wentz, Ben, Goff).   

Its a strange year so far.

Hopefully our Oline levels off and gets consistent, its the key to our season.  These guys have talent, not sure about either one of our tackles right now.   Keep it goin Bills !

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here's stats I like a lot:  Josh Allen is 7-6 as a starter for the Buffalo Bills.  7-5 in games that he has started and finished.

One I particularly like...he is 5-3 since coming back from injury last season.

Another one: of QBs drafted last year he and Jackson are the only two with winning records...obviously that includes the two QBs who were drafted in front of them, Mayfield and Darnold.

• Like (+1) 4

I was watching Sunday Night Football, NFL Network and NFL RedZone yesterday, and the deference they give to the Giants is utterly ridiculous! It is as if Saquon Barkley and Eli Manning played a game by themselves and lost yesterday... every highlight was Giants, and all they could talk about was how many carries Saquon would get or how boo hoo the Giants are 0-2 as if that's a surprise.

I'll be glad when finally, at long last, I can watch these shows and it will be about Josh Allen and the Bills or that vaunted Bills defense. Enough national media, we get it, you slobber over your big names even if they lose.

Props to Kurt Warner... the ONLY talking head all morning to pick the Bills to win from what I watched. Another opportunity also to win some $$$, albeit we were favorites and still underappreciated... not anymore next week!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

is_such_a_thing_even_possible.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Here's stats I like a lot:  Josh Allen is 7-6 as a starter for the Buffalo Bills.  7-5 in games that he has started and finished.

One I particularly like...he is 5-3 since coming back from injury last season.

Another one: of QBs drafted last year he and Jackson are the only two with winning records...obviously that includes the two QBs who were drafted in front of them, Mayfield and Darnold.

Allen is on a 3-game win streak.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I was watching Sunday Night Football, NFL Network and NFL RedZone yesterday, and the deference they give to the Giants is utterly ridiculous! It is as if Saquon Barkley and Eli Manning played a game by themselves and lost yesterday... every highlight was Giants, and all they could talk about was how many carries Saquon would get or how boo hoo the Giants are 0-2 as if that's a surprise.

I'll be glad when finally, at long last, I can watch these shows and it will be about Josh Allen and the Bills or that vaunted Bills defense. Enough national media, we get it, you slobber over your big names even if they lose.

Props to Kurt Warner... the ONLY talking head all morning to pick the Bills to win from what I watched.

Everybody Else:  "The Bills will get their due when they start to win."

Some of us:  "Yeah, we are winning...we were winning at the end of last year, but we are 2-0 right now."

Everybody Else: "Well...who have you beat, though?"

Some of us: "We beat that one team that you ALL thought was better then us..in their house.  Then we beat the team with a 2 time Super Bowl Champion at the helm, who has never lost to us, and a RB that you guys literally cream yourselves over...on the road."

Everybody Else:  "you have no offense, though, and this is an offensive and passing league."

Some of us:  'We have the 9th overall offense in this league, and we are 15th in passing yards.  We are top ten in Offense and Defense."

Everybody Else:  "...?...Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!"

Some of us:  "What?!"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 12

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Everybody Else:  "you have no offense, though, and this is an offensive and passing league."

Some of us:  'We have the 9th overall offense in this league, and we are 15th in passing yards.  We are top ten in Offense and Defense."

They are going off of two things, that we were terrible on offense in 2018 because Josh Allen is inaccurate, and that we played a terrible first game despite getting the win and him being 8/10 on the last drive against a pretty stout defense on the road.

It doesn't matter to these people... NFL HOFers, vets, whatever... they don't care about following what the Bills did in FA or in the draft, only about what they remember from 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Everybody Else:  "The Bills will get their due when they start win."

Some of us:  "Yeah, we are winning...we were winning at the end of last year, but we are 2-0 right now."

Some of us: "We beat that one team that you ALL thought was better then us..in their house.  Then we beat the team with a 2 time Super Bowl Champion at the helm, who has never lost to us, and a RB that you guys literally cream yourselves over...on road."

Here's our season timeline:

2-0 "Beat two bad teams."

4-0 "Remember 2008?"

7-0 "Home cooking. Do it on the road."

10-0 "The tough part of your schedule is coming up."

16-0 "It's a down year in the AFC."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Everybody Else:  "The Bills will get their due when they start to win."

Some of us: "We beat that one team that you ALL thought was better then us..in their house.  Then we beat the team with a 2 time Super Bowl Champion at the helm, who has never lost to us, and a RB that you guys literally cream yourselves over...on road."

To be completely fair and honest, its hard to find an easiernstartnto this season than the one the Bills got. Quite honestly, the first 3 games may very well end up being 3 of the top 6 draft spots.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

They are going off of two things, that we were terrible on offense in 2018 because Josh Allen is inaccurate, and that we played a terrible first game despite getting the win and him being 8/10 on the last drive against a pretty stout defense on the road.

It doesn't matter to these people... NFL HOFers, vets, whatever... they don't care about following what the Bills did in FA or in the draft, only about what they remember from 2018.

and you know what the funny thing is, EOBF, I love how no one views that as coming back and winning the game...it's only that the Jets lost it.  They had 4 turn overs, how did they lose it?  Oh yeah, because that wasn't enough against our D, and our offense then outscored them.

and btw, to Everybody Else, we won that game in the second half because of our D AND BECAUSE of Josh Allen, not in spite of him.

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

To be completely fair and honest, its hard to find an easiernstartnto this season than the one the Bills got. Quite honestly, the first 3 games may very well end up being 3 of the top 6 draft spots.

DC, honestly, it is a good point.  However, those games were on the road.  We were 2-6 on the road last year.  We already have two wins this year on the road and i will take that.  Throw in Miami (honestly, go ahead) and we will have 3.  I think we need just 1 more to make this season work out the way some of us hope.

BTW, did you like those victories any less because they were against the Jets and Giants?

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Everybody Else:  "The Bills will get their due when they start win."

That Giants team is a shell of its SB years’ self and a game the Bills should have and obviously did win. My season prediction is still on track FWIW. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I don't think that's true.  Starting the season with back-to-back road games is a challenge no matter who you're playing against.  Also, while the Giants are obviously a bad team and the Jets have all sorts of personnel problems now, the Jets team that we beat in week 1 was actually pretty solid -- I thought we were probably losing that game.  Add in the fact that we've got a ton of new starters on offense and an o-line that hasn't had much time together, and I think we would selling ourselves short if we downplayed a 2-0 start.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, iinii said:

That Giants team is a shell of its SB years’ self and a game the Bills should have and obviously did win. My season prediction is still on track FWIW. 

Come on, iin, you can't say that and then not give it!

I had us, barring anything crazy happening, at 10-6.

EDIT:  damn, I am just not sure where that other road win is coming from.  I don't know about going 7-1 at home, where 3 road wins would be OK.  I still think the path, right now, is 6-2, and 4-4.

...and no, this is not analytics and I didn't mean to beat up on those people, its just that I am a bit fatigued over it.

This is good ole fashion, wins losses, offense and defense talk, just like our dads used to do!