Bills vs. Patriots whose defense is better

PlayoffsPlease

The Bills and Patriots have quickly knocked established they are the only two teams with a chance to win the AFC east.  I think Josh Allen has already made a case that he is the third best QB in the AFC this season.  Unfortunately, Tom Brady is one of the two better QBs.  I wish I could say otherwise, but the Brown, Gordan, Edelman crew plus Brady means their offense is stronger than the Bills.   Coming into the season, I expected the Bills to have a clearly better defense than the Patriots.   But after two games against similar caliber opponents as the Bills, the Patriots have given up only 1 red zone appearance.   I have not watched their games, so am just going by box scores. 

Does our defense match up in a way that makes up for their offense superiority.  (Also feel free to convince me they don't have superiority on offense).  

It is hard to overstate how much I want the Bills to beat these guys twice this year.   They are the only team on the schedule I feel looks better on paper than the Bills right now. 

I don't know that I'd say "similar caliber"

The Dolphins are the absolute worst in the league, and it's leaps and bounds to the next-worst team.

Steelers... the jury is still out. I predicted this struggle. We all assume they're good because of their history... but in the offseason I told a Steelers fan friend of mine that the Steelers will be a sub-.500 team this year. Maybe the Steelers are of "similar caliber" to what we've beaten but one game is much too small of a sample size. The Dolphins game is an outlier, and very obviously skews those stats.

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

Next up? Cincinnati. Let's try and get a W in week 3. If we get that W we can ponder the about the Pats matchup in week 4. The Pats look to be a COMPLETE team this year though, which is kind of scary. 

I am not a player or coach on the Bills.  As a consequence my looking ahead will have no impact on the Bills performance against the Bengals.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Pats look incredible.  Damn it.  Doesn’t do any good to sugar coat it.  Their defense looks incredible, as good as ours, maybe better.  Their offense is clearly better than ours.  If the Pats stay healthy they are going to make another SB run.  

That doesn’t stop the Bills from doing their thing though.  I think we can win 10 games this year.  If we make the playoffs I truly believe it’s an “any given Sunday” situation and we will have a shot to make our own little run.

The truth is, as sad as it may be, until we beat them, they are better. Yes it sucks, but it is what it is. We have a fair chance to correct this situation in two weeks, we shall see. 

Go Bills !!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

NE has given up 6 points in their last 3 games if you include the SB.....Rams, Steelers and Miami....combine score is 89-6....Miami is absolute crap, but it's still impressive...

Most people had the steelers at least competing for a playoff spot, and they got absolutely thrashed by the patriots in every facet of football.

Yeah too early to tell.  I'd say the defenses are roughly at the same level.

Their Dline does that illegal and cheesy move invented by none other than Belicheat himself where the Dline calls out something that sounds like "hut" right about when they think the ball is being snapped, and they claim it's a call to adjust their coverages or Dlinemen but it's to get the Olinemen to move.   The Giants got us twice on it yesterday, Dawk was one of them and I think Cody got the other flag. 

It's called simulating the snap count, and referees can flag the defense for it but they have to hear it, which hopefully they will at New Era.  In a home stadium they can't hear anything on the field on defense.  The league should put an end to it by prohibiting defensive line calls within 5 seconds of the play clock running down or something.   It's not like they actually have time to adjust or move anybody at that point, it's blatant cheating and as usual the league will have to do something about it when a huge playoff game gets decided by a stupid penalty again.

Bill started it against the Ravens in that playoff game where they were also doing those illegal substitutions (the one where Harbaugh lost his mind).  The league changed the rule on substitution rule because of the Pats after that game when they were reporting a RB as ineligible but lining him up outside the tackle box.   

God I hate that team.  Why can't they just trust their coaches and players to go out and compete and win fair and square without all the bulls*it rule bending.  

• Thank you (+1) 2