Things feel different... and it feels good

Thunderstruck

As Bills fans, I think most of us have learned to approach these scenarios with cautious optimism (and with good reason), but watching this Bills team just feels different now. I'm trying to put my finger on everything that makes me feel this cautious optimism. A few things that I have noted:

1) 3rd and long doesn't feel like a death sentence any more. Maybe it was all the years of not having a competent offense or capable QB, but I always felt like they never stood much of a chance on 3rd and 7 or more. If they got a false start or a holding penalty, it was drive over. It just doesn't feel that way anymore. We have an offense that can get people open down the field. we have a QB that can make those throws. We have a line that can block long enough to give him time to make those throws. This team can overcome a penalty. They can overcome a sack. They can overcome a loss of 3 yards on first down.

2) The coaches appear to have a plan which attacks the opponents weaknesses. It seems like this would be common sense, but I'm not sure this has always been the case over the last several years. Maybe part of this was the limitations they had due to player skillsets. Even so, they seem to finally be at a place where they are comfortable to attack by land or by air.

3) The coaching staff, to this point, seems to be doing a great job at making adjustments. I didn't have a chance to re-watch the game yet, but I am assuming that some adjustments had to have been made between the first defensive series and the rest of the game. How did Barkley run wild on that first series and then get largely shut down the rest of the game? Was credit due to scheme adjustment or did they just come out flat on that first series? What did you guys see?

4) We have some guys on this team (both sides of the ball) that are tough. They aren't going to take any crap. They aren't going to let you hit their QB late. They aren't going to let you dance on our 50 yard line (hasn't happened yet, but I don't think they would let it happen). This team is not going to be a pushover. They are not going to be an afterthought. They seem to be proud to be Buffalo Bills, and damn does that feel fantastic as a fan.

I know they still have a lot to prove. I know they have to be able to do these things against the "big boys". They will have their chance soon enough. But hey- cautious optimism doesn't feel so bad right now.

How about you guys? What have you seen thus far that you really like? Anything that worries you?

See you at the CAP, or the Ralph, or whatever you like to call it this weekend!

Edited by Thunderstruck
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We have ourselves a genuine franchise QB. I too feel 3rd and long in not that big of deal, and that has lots to do with Josh

I was skeptical when we drafted him and had a sinking feeling 1st half of last season.. Felt much better at thened of last season regarding Josh. Saw plenty of stuff in preseason to be upbeat about him. 2 games in 2019 I'm sold. 

Coaches had a completely different Offensive gameplan for the Giants than the Jets from what I can tell

The team comes to play. Top to bottom. They appear to be a cohesive unit so far.

Edited by ddaryl

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

We have ourselves a genuine franchise QB

It sure feels like it. I'm sure part of this success is due to his learning curve. Part probably due to the rebuild of the offensive line. Part due to getting some more capable WRs. Probably part due to the coaches getting more comfortable with him and opening up the playbook a little more this year. Either way- things are sure looking promising!

Just now, Thunderstruck said:

It sure feels like it. I'm sure part of this success is due to his learning curve. Part probably due to the rebuild of the offensive line. Part due to getting some more capable WRs. Probably part due to the coaches getting more comfortable with him and opening up the playbook a little more this year. Either way- things are sure looking promising!

I can safely say he is surpassing m expectations by a large margin at this junction. His short game is a night and day difference maker

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

During the off-season I have had conversations with friends and family about how this team is turning the corner- feels a whole lot like 1988

Let's hope so. It would be timely as I believe a certain other team is due for a decline very soon. Yes, I know we keep saying that but it has to happen at some point and I hope our guys are ready to step into that void.

2 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

Things feel competent overall (which is fantastic). That's how I'd describe it. And that defense is stellar.

Competent is a good way to describe it. Competent QB, competent coaches, competency at most positions on the field. I know some might argue there are glaring weaknesses at a couple of positions. Maybe a few more games will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

winning is great. winning back to back road games, is also great. being 2-0 and the home opener against another beatable team possibly going 3-0, hell of a start.

winning games against non playoff teams helps but the real test for this team is winning against the playoff teams.

week 4 begins that test. not trying to look past cincy but until the bills can contend with the contenders, things wont feel different to me.

again, not trying to put the last two weeks down, winning is awesome. just need to see more from them before I can get too excited.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree about there being a different feeling.  Just contrast the first 2 games from this season to last season.  Sure the Jets/Giants aren't as good as the Ravens/Chargers but people were seriously arguing at this point last season that the Bills couldn't beat Alabama!

First, the defense is elite.  While we've had a good defense the last two seasons over the last 20 years we've had some awful defenses.  IMO having a great defense provides a foundation that makes you think you can win every game and beat the big boys.

Second, Allen looks to be a step above the QB's we've had here since Kelly.  It's not the numbers that convince but the demeanor, leadership and stunning plays that this guy makes.  He appears to be a clutch player which is worth it's weight in gold for a QB.  Allen also has a short memory, essential for great QB's & DB's.  Think about last years Miami game where he threw a bad pick 6 to allow the Dolphins to tie the game right before halftime then comes out to lead a long TD drive at the start of the 3rd quarter.  Even better was his 4th quarter performance against the Jets.  This was after the 1st 3 quarters where everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Third, from the ownership to the GM to the head coach and coaching staff there appears to be a plan.  They don't seem like they're winging it as they to often did before.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

does it feel any different than this thread or should we excuse you fo your LAMP moment?

i agree.  It felt different.  

Good lord- some of you people are insufferable. Why do I bother coming to this board for this? Are you a mod? A wannabe mod? A jackass who feels the need to judge whether or not someone's post is worthy / too close to what someone else wrote? Get over yourself.

Did I search through multiple pages to see if someone else posted that they felt a difference in this team too? No- I did not. Nor should I have to. It wasn't on the front page when I made this post so I didn't see it. Not that I feel it necessary to explain myself to you.

But congrats on your "Look at me reply" to my post. At least my post had purpose. What was the purpose of yours?

Edited by Thunderstruck
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

winning is great. winning back to back road games, is also great. being 2-0 and the home opener against another beatable team possibly going 3-0, hell of a start.

winning games against non playoff teams helps but the real test for this team is winning against the playoff teams.

week 4 begins that test. not trying to look past cincy but until the bills can contend with the contenders, things wont feel different to me.

again, not trying to put the last two weeks down, winning is awesome. just need to see more from them before I can get too excited.

Agree but you have got to win the games you are “supposed to”.  Cinci is another one of those games. The Pats are playing at an insane level however they haven’t faced a D like ours. We need to throw the kitchen sink at them!!! Also, it is such a long season and injuries happen cough cough Brady ?

• Like (+1) 1

Giants made appreciate... our COACHES. Well, and QB too, for sure. They are not half as bad as they showed. Their offensive plays in particular where dumb as can be, while Dabbol's was awesome.

Again, the difference between winning and losing is small. The Bills are on the right path.

I know about that article about the 3 Giant sacks and 8 penalties, but most of time, not all the time but most, pass protection was great and Josh had a great pocket. Compared to last year it's night and day. That OLine is at least among the average ones.

With Josh 3 & 15 or 3 & 8 is the same. And that's awesome. Like in week one, the Jets accepted a penalty that made it 1 & 15 instead of 2 & 10. As an opposing coach, I'd take a down away from Allen before taking 5 yards!

As for the adjustments against the run, seems to me the GIANTS did their own adjusting ha ha. Their playcall was horrendous. Thankfully. 

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I agree- I think that's probably why I maintain my cautious optimism. They need to take care of business this week and then if they can show well against the Pats in week 4 it will really tell us something. I'm not sure, at this point how to define that. Beating them would be great. How would you feel if they play them close but don't get the win?

46 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Agree but you have got to win the games you are “supposed to”.  Cinci is another one of those games. The Pats are playing at an insane level however they haven’t faced a D like ours. We need to throw the kitchen sink at them!!! Also, it is such a long season and injuries happen cough cough Brady ?

First, just ignore that post. Some people just feel the need to play mall cop.

Second, I share your thoughts. I somehow forgot (until I reminded while reading the Giant fans' gameday thread) that at one point the BIlls had their back to the endzone and drove 98 yards for the touch down. One week removed from getting a safety in virtually the exact same spot.

Great to see this team get better from week to week, and play disciplined football. Especially after the Giants drove the ball down their throat on the opening drive. What was McDermott's message on the sideline? Let it go, fill the gaps and play your assignment.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

It's funny looking at the schedule now and seeing how many games I believe we are "supposed to" win.

It felt terrible seeing Brees get injured last night. I hope it isn't too serious. He is a genuinely great guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I totally hear you--but let's apply that same logic to the Pats then, who have tangled with a reeling Pittsburgh squad that's a shell of its former dominant self, and arguably a Miami team that couldn't win if you spotted them 5 extra players at all times--my point is that while many nationally are busy declaring NE champions again, and poo-pooing who the Bills have beaten so far, we are tied in the standings and have an opportunity to take the early lead in the division as part of our head to head in week 4, provided we take care of business this week again. That's all I can ask for and am definitely excited about that! Go Bills!!!!!  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Good lord- some of you people are insufferable. Why do I bother coming to this board for this? Are you a mod? A wannabe mod? A jackass who feels the need to judge whether or not someone's post is worthy / too close to what someone else wrote? Get over yourself.

Did I search through multiple pages to see if someone else posted that they felt a difference in this team too? No- I did not. Nor should I have to. It wasn't on the front page when I made this post so I didn't see it. Not that I feel it necessary to explain myself to you.

But congrats on your "Look at me reply" to my post. At least my post had purpose. What was the purpose of yours?

The thread was still on the front page when you posted.  You may have overlooked it.  

If it was on the 2nd page, I wouldn’t have posted it.  

Its ok for the community to help regulate itself. 

You got called out for making a thread with almost the same exact title as another thread that was on the front page when yours was posted.  Not sure why you’re so upset

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

First, just ignore that post. Some people just feel the need to play mall cop.

Second, I share your thoughts. I somehow forgot (until I reminded while reading the Giant fans' gameday thread) that at one point the BIlls had their back to the endzone and drove 98 yards for the touch down. One week removed from getting a safety in virtually the exact same spot.

Great to see this team get better from week to week, and play disciplined football. Especially after the Giants drove the ball down their throat on the opening drive. What was McDermott's message on the sideline? Let it go, fill the gaps and play your assignment.

Thanks- I don't post much and I always read through the posts on the first page before I do post. If it is a very specific topic I have learned (through all of the super courteous berating) to do a search first. I did not exactly think of typing "this team feels different" in the search bar. Mea culpa, right?

Agree with you on all accounts. I sometimes wonder how much of the progress is about drafting the right players vs. having the right coaches / "the process" and all of that. Probably some combination of the two, but I love having this situation where the players are buying in and enjoying being a part of what is going on here.