Playoff chances with a 3-0 start

DBilz2500

9 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Winning on the road isn’t easy but yea, we should beat the Giants. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not spitting on the wins. Just saying that the schedule has tougher games than the last two weeks so I’m not thinking playoffs until they match up against some actual playoff caliber teams. 

Edited by John Adams

1 hour ago, eball said:

The last time the Bills started 5-0 was 1991, and they went to the Super Bowl.

They also started 5-0 in 1980 and made the playoffs.

So 5-0 starts have been good to Buffalo.

You may be thinking about these relatively recent starts:

3-0 in 2011 (and 5-2), then the bottom dropped out.

4-0 in 2008 (and 5-2), then the bottom dropped out.

But yes, there is a lot of football left.

I remember Fitzpatrick's game winning, girly shriek over a *ats defeat.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What are our chances at 4-0?

Given that the Patriots are #4 on the schedule, if Buffalo beats them, we can start thinking division championship, but let's concern ourselves with Cincinnati first.

This is only relevant if we were to be 3-0....

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, JXCOL3 said:

Fitz had us at 5-1 once, and one of those games we beat the Pats if I remember right. Pretty sure we lost 7 in a row that year. Lol

Fitz had us at 5-2, not 5-1. We started out 3-0 beating the Pats. After starting 5-2 we went 1-8 the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's early yet but their entire schedule outside of a few games(Patriots X 2, Eagles, Dallas, Baltimore) looks favorable and relatively weak.

Outside of the two Patriot games, I don't see any team on their schedule as a no doubt about it loss.

True but there are also very few that are guarantee wins. Titans, Redskins Steelers, Browns are all going to be tough games. Im glad were beating the teams were supposed to but there is a lot of season left.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Since 1980, teams that start 3-0 have made the playoffs 75.7% of the time. We beat Cincy and I’m gonna start feeling really good about our playoff chances! 

Not to be Debby downer but being a Bills fan & the history that comes along with that statement i seem to remember when Fitz started 5 & 1 & then it all went to hell in a hand basket (not saying that is going to happen) but i will not be blowing any horns or tooting any whistles (just yet) i am just going to sit back quietly & enjoy the ride as it goes . 

GO BILLS !!!! 

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's early yet but their entire schedule outside of a few games(Patriots X 2, Eagles, Dallas, Baltimore) looks favorable and relatively weak.

Outside of the two Patriot games, I don't see any team on their schedule as a no doubt about it loss.

I don’t see the Titans, Browns, or Redskins as easy games. 

All they did so far is barely beat a team that is OK and beat a bad team with injuries. I’m thrilled they won, on the road, but until I see them win a couple against those 5 you listed, I’m not thinking playoffs. If they lose all 5 of the games you noted, which is easy to see, the margin for the playoffs becomes razor thin. 

12 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

100%. I believe the best record where it would be mathematically possible to miss is 13-3.

11 wins should be comfortable enough after 2 weeks and where it is heading

all pending of course...

Edited by row_33

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Remember when the Bills started the 2008 season 4-0, and went 3-9 the rest of the season and missed the playoffs?

We remember them all. That team was vaporware. This team is not good enough to be in any playoff conversation yet that’s for sure. 

But they are are vastly better than last year especially on offense and they have depth. 

Look at at all the threads today and no one is in a panic that Motor could be out for a while. Two weeks ago people were freaking out because we have a bad punter. We have better problems in 2019.  

3 minutes ago, John Adams said:

We remember them all. That team was vaporware. This team is not good enough to be in any playoff conversation yet that’s for sure. 

But they are are vastly better than last year especially on offense and they have depth. 

Look at at all the threads today and no one is in a panic that Motor could be out for a while. Two weeks ago people were freaking out because we have a bad punter. We have better problems in 2019.  

I don't know what point you're trying to make.  Mine was that, statistically speaking, statistical predictions such as this thread are meaningless.

20 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Remember when the Bills started the 2008 season 4-0, and went 3-9 the rest of the season and missed the playoffs?

that was when FItz''s neighbourhood garage BBQ menu was on the news every night?

they loved him to bits

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

11 wins should be comfortable enough after 2 weeks and where it is heading

all pending of course...

For sure. 11 wins has been enough to make the playoffs all but a handful of times, and no one has ever missed with 12 or more as far as I know. It’s just interesting to me that it would be possible to miss with 13 wins.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No that was when "we have a franchise QB" in Trent Edwards.

i can look with pride at 4-1 starts with both Fitz and Trent?  Forgot about Trent, it was knocked out of my with that Adrian Wilson hit watched live on TV

27 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

For sure. 11 wins has been enough to make the playoffs all but a handful of times, and no one has ever missed with 12 or more as far as I know. It’s just interesting to me that it would be possible to miss with 13 wins.

missing with 12 would be a heck of a perfect storm of several teams getting no wins except for their inner division cupcakes

18 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I don't know what point you're trying to make.  Mine was that, statistically speaking, statistical predictions such as this thread are meaningless.

And yet here we are. 

My my point is that this team hasn’t proven Jack. But we have better problems than we had last year, which I’ll take as a positive sign.