THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Taking Care of Business at MetLife

Shaw66

54 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is not an offense that is going to overpower teams.   It needs some more talent worked into the lineup before it can do that.   But it's an offense that can perform and be part of a winning team.   Last season, the team couldn't win because the offense was so weak.  That isn't the case this season. 

I agree with you. I was just expressing my point of view about the offense. They played OK and they still scored 28 points. There is a lot of room for improvement. It worries me that the offense will not be as good against an OK or good defense but we will see time will tell.

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He made at least 2 throws today that less than 5 QBs in the league can make. If he stays consistent on the regular plays and makes 2-3 star plays every game he will be a top 5 QB before long.

I still think this team is missing one star on each side. The offense needs a true #1 receiver and the defense needs a stud edge rusher. I expect Beane to find both missing pieces next offseason and then the Bills will be ready to compete for a deep playoff run. This year I'm having fun watching the young players grow into themselves.

There are not five QBs in the league I would trade Allen for.  Only one is Mahomes ( and I am not even certain about that).  Allen has a higher ceiling than everyone else in the league, some because of age, some because of talent. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I gotta say that when McDermott arrived, one part of me believed that he was selling snake oil.   He was sincere and all, but come on, what is this stuff he's talking about.  But someone last spring I started to see a little bit of what he was doing and how it was working.  I kept seeing it more clearly, listening to what he was saying and watching how the players perform.  Then against the Jets, when the Bills went down, I realized I got it, that I could see how he was preparing the team for anything, and I thought the Bills not only had a chance, but actually were going to come back.  Then I saw it.  Then the Giants rolled over the Bills on the first possession, and I wasn't worried.  The rest of the half I saw it happening, including the the problems they still have to fix - like end of half execution.  

Now I'm fully on board.   Something special is going in Buffalo.  We've all been sitting here waiting for a winner and a championship.   I think we're getting something more.   I think we're getting a team that will dazzle the league like the Pats do, but with character as well as with consistent winning. 

I'm really excited.  

This is not an offense that is going to overpower teams.   It needs some more talent worked into the lineup before it can do that.   But it's an offense that can perform and be part of a winning team.   Last season, the team couldn't win because the offense was so weak.  That isn't the case this season. 

This offense will be overpowering teams  this season. 

12 minutes ago, toto8 said:

I agree with you. I was just expressing my point of view about the offense. They played OK and they still scored 28 points. There is a lot of room for improvement. It worries me that the offense will not be as good against an OK or good defense but we will see time will tell.

Cool.   I think there'll be a better play maker on the team next year, and then things will really start cooking. 

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

There are not five QBs in the league I would trade Allen for.  Only one is Mahomes ( and I am not even certain about that).  Allen has a higher ceiling than everyone else in the league, some because of age, some because of talent. 

I've been reluctant to say this, but I feel about the same.  Darnold maybe.  Mayfield maybe.  Murray, was too early to tell.  

Whatever, the list is very short.   

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Cool.   I think there'll be a better play maker on the team next year, and then things will really start cooking. 

I've been reluctant to say this, but I feel about the same.  Darnold maybe.  Mayfield maybe.  Murray, was too early to tell.  

Whatever, the list is very short.   

I don't intend this as a criticism of Daboll. But I honestly don't think Daboll has yet figured out how to maximize Allen's considerable talent.  Couple that with incredible personality, there is no QB in the league more fun to watch and root for. 

21 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I don't intend this as a criticism of Daboll. But I honestly don't think Daboll has yet figured out how to maximize Allen's considerable talent.  Couple that with incredible personality, there is no QB in the league more fun to watch and root for. 

Oh, yeah.  McDermott's vision is that EVERYONE on the team gets better every day.  He and Daboll would agree that Daboll isn't close to being the OC they expect him to become. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I wouldn't say you are wrong there, but I think in the grand scheme of things, Daboll is doing a good job of trying to ensure Allen can walk the walk as an NFL QB, before worrying about how to get the most out of his undoubted ability.

Get him reading defenses, taking care of the football, and getting through his progressions. The fundamentals of solid QB play in the NFL.

Once he's happy with that stuff, I think he will really start to go to town with what he feels like he can call, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he does actually have plenty of ideas about how to get more from him, just that he wants him to be comfortable with the basics first.

Should Allen keep on his upward trending path, we might get to see some of that towards the end of the season, or, dare I say it, should we reach the playoffs. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

I wouldn't say you are wrong there, but I think in the grand scheme of things, Daboll is doing a good job of trying to ensure Allen can walk the walk as an NFL QB, before worrying about how to get the most out of his undoubted ability.

Get him reading defenses, taking care of the football, and getting through his progressions. The fundamentals of solid QB play in the NFL.

Once he's happy with that stuff, I think he will really start to go to town with what he feels like he can call, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he does actually have plenty of ideas about how to get more from him, just that he wants him to be comfortable with the basics first.

Should Allen keep on his upward trending path, we might get to see some of that towards the end of the season, or, dare I say it, should we reach the playoffs. ;)

Agreed.  

We will see it this year.  Next year will be his first full season when we will have a good look at what he can become.  

He's growing up fast, but hea still just a teenager who has had his license for six months. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Nice write up as usual, Shaw. One thing I would take umbrage with is Smoke and Beasley run way, way better patterns than our WR of the last couple years. Crisp, with purpose, technique sound, plant, come back for the ball, and they get wide open often. That is not at all what we have been seeing.

I agree with that, but they aren't getting THAT open on sharp cuts.  The Bill's are running much more of a short yardage passing game and defenses are having the same problem stopping it as they have stopping the Patriots.  

Always a good read, thanks for posting.

Go Bills!!!

I think the potential is there with what we have right now. Allen had 210yds passing in the 1st half against the Giants. That isn't easy to do against any team. The running game seems to be just getting on a roll and will improve as the season progresses. I think the offense is still in a building faze overall and will gradually get better.  It's a good place to be, especially with the schedule becoming more competitive in the second half of the season. Don't know if Buffalo can compete with NE yet, but I certainly won't rule it out.

I'm just enjoying the success so far and I won't give up my optimistic take, but at the same time I am not going to be crushed if NE beats the Bills 2 weeks from now. For now this team is making strides in the right direction. It's not all about the destination. The journey is much more fun.

16 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I think the potential is there with what we have right now. Allen had 210yds passing in the 1st half against the Giants. That isn't easy to do against any team. The running game seems to be just getting on a roll and will improve as the season progresses. I think the offense is still in a building faze overall and will gradually get better.  It's a good place to be, especially with the schedule becoming more competitive in the second half of the season. Don't know if Buffalo can compete with NE yet, but I certainly won't rule it out.

I'm just enjoying the success so far and I won't give up my optimistic take, but at the same time I am not going to be crushed if NE beats the Bills 2 weeks from now. For now this team is making strides in the right direction. It's not all about the destination. The journey is much more fun.

Watching a franchise QB develop is something Bills fans have not seen in many years. Watching a Bills football team develop into a playoff contender capable of going all the way is also something the Bills faithful has not had the privilege of seeing for a very long time. To make things even more interesting/ entertaining our current Buffalo Bills football team is full of likeable young players and lead by an engaging HC. The message McD sends is clear in a never ending process of improvement. Get better, or go home.  

Its not all about the destination. The journey is much more fun.

Well said Rockinon,

Well said...

21 minutes ago, Figster said:

Watching a franchise QB develop is something Bills fans have not seen in many years. Watching a Bills football team develop into a playoff contender capable of going all the way is also something the Bills faithful has not had the privilege of seeing for a very long time. To make things even more interesting/ entertaining our current Buffalo Bills football team is full of likeable young players and lead by an engaging HC. The message McD sends is clear in a never ending process of improvement. Get better, or go home.  

Its not all about the destination. The journey is much more fun.

Well said Rockinon,

Well said...

You're right about this.   I think I posted earlier about how over the past couple of years, listening and watching, the clues were there.   This year on Memorial Day I stuck my neck and said to Bills fans that they should sit back and enjoy it, because we're watching something special happening.   Since then we've had training camp, and you could see it.  Then preseason, any you could see it.  Now two games, you can see it.   Allen isn't done improving, by a long shot.  Daboll and Frazier and McD aren't done improving.   Beane isn't done adding talent. 

It's really fun to watch.  There are going to be some losses, some injuries, some disappointments, but still this team will continue moving forward.   I'm loving it.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right about this.   I think I posted earlier about how over the past couple of years, listening and watching, the clues were there.   This year on Memorial Day I stuck my neck and said to Bills fans that they should sit back and enjoy it, because we're watching something special happening.   Since then we've had training camp, and you could see it.  Then preseason, any you could see it.  Now two games, you can see it.   Allen isn't done improving, by a long shot.  Daboll and Frazier and McD aren't done improving.   Beane isn't done adding talent. 

It's really fun to watch.  There are going to be some losses, some injuries, some disappointments, but still this team will continue moving forward.   I'm loving it.  

They have an identity on D and that is going to be the face of the team, but the Offense is going to be making people pay attention more if and when they beat some better competition.  But as to the competition - the Jets and Giants may very well end up being 2 of the worst teams in the league by the end of the season.  However, early on you are getting teams best efforts before the wheels start coming off the wagon.  This is the overreaction time in the NFL in recent years.  It's almost unbearable to watch some people on TV talking about this and that team.  Sure, the Dolphins ship looked sunk before it set sail, but the other 31 teams  were looking to prove something and will continue to as they press on more games.  Certainly some things look shaky in place right now.  Remember last year though, people were writing the Bills off as an 0-16 possibility after a highly embarassing start to 2018.  Things change and can be fluid - and the NFL is a showcase of coaching, chemistry and talent - as chemistry builds it can really create a gap between teams, and chemistry can also fall apart bringing teams back to the pack. 

That means the Bills can continue to build momentum through chemistry with so much young talent, and that starts at QB on Offense.  I genuinely have turned the corner and see how completely wrong I was about Allen.  I'm not saying he has completely arrived, but man I thought he would be frustrating to watch, especially with his first few games last year.  This year he has the look of taking another step forward and the Bills team will follow if that happens. 

Looking back at last year - as embarassing as it was early on, the QB situation turned out fortuitous for the Bills in the way it played out:

• Peterman is so bad they have to bench him and look elsewhere for QBs to keep on the active roster;
  • Allen is starting early than the staff wanted - he gets to play with some ups and downs, but has a good showing against the Vikings; then he is hurt;
  • he gets to watch a couple of other guys come in and play that have been in the NFL for awhile;-
  • the Bills find a really decent backup;
  • Allen comes in and starts making things happen and getting the team behind him.

It wasn't planned that way,  but it all kinda worked out and Allen has made the most of his circumstances so far.

8 hours ago, Ayjent said:

They have an identity on D and that is going to be the face of the team, but the Offense is going to be making people pay attention more if and when they beat some better competition.  But as to the competition - the Jets and Giants may very well end up being 2 of the worst teams in the league by the end of the season.  However, early on you are getting teams best efforts before the wheels start coming off the wagon.  This is the overreaction time in the NFL in recent years.  It's almost unbearable to watch some people on TV talking about this and that team.  Sure, the Dolphins ship looked sunk before it set sail, but the other 31 teams  were looking to prove something and will continue to as they press on more games.  Certainly some things look shaky in place right now.  Remember last year though, people were writing the Bills off as an 0-16 possibility after a highly embarassing start to 2018.  Things change and can be fluid - and the NFL is a showcase of coaching, chemistry and talent - as chemistry builds it can really create a gap between teams, and chemistry can also fall apart bringing teams back to the pack. 

That means the Bills can continue to build momentum through chemistry with so much young talent, and that starts at QB on Offense.  I genuinely have turned the corner and see how completely wrong I was about Allen.  I'm not saying he has completely arrived, but man I thought he would be frustrating to watch, especially with his first few games last year.  This year he has the look of taking another step forward and the Bills team will follow if that happens. 

Looking back at last year - as embarassing as it was early on, the QB situation turned out fortuitous for the Bills in the way it played out:

• Peterman is so bad they have to bench him and look elsewhere for QBs to keep on the active roster;
  • Allen is starting early than the staff wanted - he gets to play with some ups and downs, but has a good showing against the Vikings; then he is hurt;
  • he gets to watch a couple of other guys come in and play that have been in the NFL for awhile;-
  • the Bills find a really decent backup;
  • Allen comes in and starts making things happen and getting the team behind him.

It wasn't planned that way,  but it all kinda worked out and Allen has made the most of his circumstances so far.

That's funny - I just wrote to a Giants fan friend of mine who was talking about Jones.  I told him the best he could hope for is a rookie season like Allen's, and described the path just as you did.  It was a perfect way for Allen to grow into the league, grow enough so that he could survive.   Now he's on the road.  

I don't think the Bills can win a lot against the best teams in the league, not yet.   We'll see when the Pats come to town.  But they can compete with the best, and as you say, it's a process.  The open question is how much they will grow this season.   If they grow a lot, they're in the playoffs.   If they grow some, they will have taken the next step.   It's clear they've already taken some big steps.  

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's funny - I just wrote to a Giants fan friend of mine who was talking about Jones.  I told him the best he could hope for is a rookie season like Allen's, and described the path just as you did.  It was a perfect way for Allen to grow into the league, grow enough so that he could survive.   Now he's on the road.  

I don't think the Bills can win a lot against the best teams in the league, not yet.   We'll see when the Pats come to town.  But they can compete with the best, and as you say, it's a process.  The open question is how much they will grow this season.   If they grow a lot, they're in the playoffs.   If they grow some, they will have taken the next step.   It's clear they've already taken some big steps.  

I actually think that they can beat some of the better teams just based on the defense playing a great game, and the other team having some bounces go against them.  That's true of most any team in the NFL, but the Bills aren't a team that are going to give the good teams as much margin for error.  Are they playoff caliber?  I think that they are a borderline playoff team based on how the AFC plays out and realistically on how much Allen continues to progress.  

Teams I see as locks in AFC:

-Chiefs

-Patriots

Near Locks:

-Chargers

The Playoff Contenders:  Texans or Colts or Titans (one will win the South as Division Champs); Ravens or Browns (one will come out of the North as Division Champs); Bills

So I really think it is going to come down to those 6 teams for 3 spots - and 2 of them will be division champs - so it will likely be a 4 team race for one spot that the Bills can get in with.  I think the Bills are in the same conversation as those 6 teams.  

The Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Steelers, Jags, Raiders and Broncos are just not really that good at this point and it will be unlikely these teams emerge as a contender.

The Bills appear to have the schedule breaking their way:

Must wins because they should be the better team (9 games - 5H/4A) (2-0): Dolphins twice, Jets twice (1-0), the Bengals, the Broncos, the Steelers, the Redskins, the Giants (1-0)

Pivotal games (3 games - 1H/2A) (0-0): Titans, Browns, Ravens

Underdog games (4 games - 2H/2A) (0-0) : Patriots twice, Eagles, Cowboys

That's just how I see it now.

1 minute ago, Ayjent said:

I actually think that they can beat some of the better teams just based on the defense playing a great game, and the other team having some bounces go against them.  That's true of most any team in the NFL, but the Bills aren't a team that are going to give the good teams as much margin for error.  Are they playoff caliber?  I think that they are a borderline playoff team based on how the AFC plays out and realistically on how much Allen continues to progress.  

Teams I see as locks in AFC:

-Chiefs

-Patriots

Near Locks:

-Chargers

The Playoff Contenders:  Texans or Colts or Titans (one will win the South as Division Champs); Ravens or Browns (one will come out of the North as Division Champs); Bills

So I really think it is going to come down to those 6 teams for 3 spots - and 2 of them will be division champs - so it will likely be a 4 team race for one spot that the Bills can get in with.  I think the Bills are in the same conversation as those 6 teams.  

The Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Steelers, Jags, Raiders and Broncos are just not really that good at this point and it will be unlikely these teams emerge as a contender.

The Bills appear to have the schedule breaking their way:

Must wins because they should be the better team (9 games - 5H/4A) (2-0): Dolphins twice, Jets twice (1-0), the Bengals, the Broncos, the Steelers, the Redskins, the Giants (1-0)

Pivotal games (3 games - 1H/2A) (0-0): Titans, Browns, Ravens

Underdog games (4 games - 2H/2A) (0-0) : Patriots twice, Eagles, Cowboys

That's just how I see it now - they could get in on their schedule alone beating who they should, but they could really have double digit wins if they win just a couple of the 7 pivotal or underdog games.  If they can't take care of all of the 9 games and can't win any of the other 7, then I think they are just a mediocre team that was the beneficiary of an easy schedule if they end up at 8-8.