Off-season Questions Answered

I posted before the season that these two games would answer a lot of the off-season questions.  My thought was the Bills needed to start 2-0 to have a shot at the playoffs.  

1. Could Oliver and Edmunds stop the run - Yes. Two elite running backs got their yards but were mainly held in check.  Both Bell and Barkley had some terrific runs. But for the most part the Bills D held up.

2. Would Allen's accuracy improve - Yes/No - He looks much much better.  Still a few misfires and headteachers but he looks in command of the offense.  His completion % would be north of 70% without a few drops and a few throw aways

3. WR group - Yes.  Brown and Beasely look great.  Defenses will probably key on Beasley and dare Allen to hold the ball.  Daboll will need to recognize this and have another short route.  Knox/Kroft could be the next underneath option

4. Pass rush  - Yes/No - generally better.  Lots of batted balls.  Murphy is still running around the RT.  Inside rush has been inconsistent but effective at times.  

5. O-line - so far so good.  RT is a mess but it has been for years.  So far Ford/Nsekhe are no better than Mills.  But the interior line play is much much improved over last year.  Spain is a massive upgrade over Ducasse/Teller.  Morse is worth the money.  He has not been outstanding but he is steady and a massive upgrade over Bodine.  RT is a mess but I'm as worried about Dawkins.  He is regressing further.  It's still early and they need more time to gel.  

• Like (+1) 2

#2 Are you an Allen homer or hater? Serious question becAuse the drops puts him north of 70 but you gave y/n?  I agree a bit but his accuracy has improved. 

#5 yes they need time to gel. Preseason was waisted for this squad. 

Good post. Lets keep winning.  Lets Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Bevis said:

It's too early for any questions to be definitively answered, except that Zay Jones should be released in favor of Duke Williams.

Serious question - why?  

You may not like Zay, but he can fill in at any of the WR positions and handle the assignment.  

Duke Williams was a big target, but got no separation from 6-7th cut DBs.  If they call him up - he is inactive every week because he brings nearly nothing to the team.  

He could be a better blocker, but he only knows limited positions - so if he is tight - you are giving away your run plans.  He could be a better receiver, but his inability to get any separation means every throw to him will be contested and going against top end DBs - I am not sure he wins compared to the few wins in PS.

So I get that you dislike Zay, but he has shown in his limited plays an ability to get open and make catches.  He has shown a willingness to block and help in the run game.  He can fill in for every WR position on the field - meaning if some gets gassed or hurt mid drive - he can help fill in and allow the team to keep the same offense going.

I get the feeling because of those things the Coaching Staff sees him as much more valuable as a WR than they see potential in Duke Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I can’t agree that RT is as bad as Mills.  Josh was tormented from Mills’ side last year and that is greatly reduced this year.  That doesn’t mean we don’t need improvement, of course.

I'm with you. Just stick with Ty and let the best 5 gel. Cody needs some work and just seems better at guard. Right now the best 5 are Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano and Ty. Give Cody reps after we put games out of reach. ?

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Serious question - why?  

You may not like Zay, but he can fill in at any of the WR positions and handle the assignment.  

Duke Williams was a big target, but got no separation from 6-7th cut DBs.  If they call him up - he is inactive every week because he brings nearly nothing to the team.  

He could be a better blocker, but he only knows limited positions - so if he is tight - you are giving away your run plans.  He could be a better receiver, but his inability to get any separation means every throw to him will be contested and going against top end DBs - I am not sure he wins compared to the few wins in PS.

So I get that you dislike Zay, but he has shown in his limited plays an ability to get open and make catches.  He has shown a willingness to block and help in the run game.  He can fill in for every WR position on the field - meaning if some gets gassed or hurt mid drive - he can help fill in and allow the team to keep the same offense going.

I get the feeling because of those things the Coaching Staff sees him as much more valuable as a WR than they see potential in Duke Williams.

He can't catch the ball, that's a problem for his position on the field.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

2. Would Allen's accuracy improve - Yes/No - He looks much much better.  Still a few misfires and headteachers but he looks in command of the offense.  His completion % would be north of 70% without a few drops and a few throw aways

You complained and complained about Allen not reaching 60%. Now his accuracy is in the 64% range and it hasn't improved enough, and is still questionable, because he is not reaching 70%...

Perhaps you should leave Allen out of your assessments of this team. It is clear there is something preventing you from evaluating Allen in an objective way.

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

The Bills haven't played a good team yet.

Next three games will more accurately show where this team stands.

Then the serious discussions can begin.

Stop. You can clearly make evaluations of this team after the first two games.

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agreed. The Bills can beat bad teams. Allen looks better and the "D" looks solid.....so far.

Next three games will show a lot more though, as to where this team is really at.

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I posted before the season that these two games would answer a lot of the off-season questions.  My thought was the Bills needed to start 2-0 to have a shot at the playoffs.  

1. Could Oliver and Edmunds stop the run - Yes. Two elite running backs got their yards but were mainly held in check.  Both Bell and Barkley had some terrific runs. But for the most part the Bills D held up.

3. WR group - Yes.  Brown and Beasely look great.  Defenses will probably key on Beasley and dare Allen to hold the ball.  Daboll will need to recognize this and have another short route.  Knox/Kroft could be the next underneath option

4. Pass rush  - Yes/No - generally better.  Lots of batted balls.  Murphy is still running around the RT.  Inside rush has been inconsistent but effective at times.  

5. O-line - so far so good.  RT is a mess but it has been for years.  So far Ford/Nsekhe are no better than Mills.  But the interior line play is much much improved over last year.  Spain is a massive upgrade over Ducasse/Teller.  Morse is worth the money.  He has not been outstanding but he is steady and a massive upgrade over Bodine.  RT is a mess but I'm as worried about Dawkins.  He is regressing further.  It's still early and they need more time to gel.  

Have you come around on our running game being good without Shady?

The season is a marathon, not a 400m race and we're going to continue learning what the team is made of.  Early returns show some positive signs, namely Allen's play and the in-game defensive adjustments they make (which is something few DC's ever did going back more than a decade).  There are some nagging concerns, particularly the OT situation, depth at WR, and getting away from Gore as lead back. 

4 hours ago, fansince88 said:

#2 Are you an Allen homer or hater? Serious question becAuse the drops puts him north of 70 but you gave y/n?  I agree a bit but his accuracy has improved. 

#5 yes they need time to gel. Preseason was waisted for this squad. 

Good post. Lets keep winning.  Lets Go Bills!!!

Neither a homer or hater. I wanted Allen over the other QBs with Rosen second. I’m just commenting on what I see. His accuracy looks much improved but he still had some bad balls. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

You complained and complained about Allen not reaching 60%. Now his accuracy is in the 64% range and it hasn't improved enough, and is still questionable, because he is not reaching 70%...

Perhaps you should leave Allen out of your assessments of this team. It is clear there is something preventing you from evaluating Allen in an objective way.

I never complained about Allen. I wanted him over all the other QBs. Just assessing his performance.  64% or whatever it was was amazing. He had at least two drops and two bad passes. The slant may have been a bad route adjustment but the seam route was a terrible overthrow. But as compared to last year he seems much better. He made a few throws only Rodgers makes.

Of course its a long season but two games in I think they have answered some of the question marks.  As someone else posted, these were two bad opponents. A playoff team comes home and buries the Bengals, setting up the game of the week in Buffalo in week 4

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bevis said:

It's too early for any questions to be definitively answered, except that Zay Jones should be released in favor of Duke Williams.

Yup release him for a guy who:

Got cut two years ago.

Couldn't make an NFL roster the past two seasons, not sure if he even was brought to anyone's camp, but hey looked great in the CFL?

After the Bills released him 2 weeks ago after looking like from the way people around here talk, Julio Jones or something, 31 other teams all passed on him.

And after this success he had in the per-season, probably against many other players who just like him aren't in the league anymore either.

Great idea!