Week 3: Bills (-6) v Bengals

dubs

2 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

This is going to be a true test believe it or not.

It has trap game written all over it.

With the Pats coming to town the following week, and how bad Cinci lost last week at home, a PO'd Bengal team is coming to town and we can't afford to take them lightly if we aren't focused on the task at hand.

I don’t really see it that way, tbh. If the Bills lose it will be simply because they play poorly. The Bengals haven’t won a game since last Dec 16 and never appear to expect to win a game. They never look pissed off when they lose. They accept it. That’s an attitude that comes from the top of the organization. On the other hand the Bills emulate, to a man, a week to week approach that is going to focus on winning their home opener and nothing more. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is your classic "trap game". Coming home after two big road wins, with the Patriots looming in week 4. I think and hope that this Bills squad has the type of mindset and humility that won't let them get ahead of themselves, and that they'll take the Bengals seriously.

By the way, the Bills SHOULD take the Bengals seriously. Yes, they looked bad against the 49ers, but the week before that, they looked really GOOD against a good Seattle team. In particular, John Ross (over 100 yards receiving and a score in back to back weeks) vs Levi Wallace is a matchup that scares me.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

This is your classic "trap game". Coming home after two big road wins, with the Patriots looming in week 4. I think and hope that this Bills squad has the type of mindset and humility that won't let them get ahead of themselves, and that they'll take the Bengals seriously.

By the way, the Bills SHOULD take the Bengals seriously. Yes, they looked bad against the 49ers, but the week before that, they looked really GOOD against a good Seattle team. In particular, John Ross (over 100 yards receiving and a score in back to back weeks) vs Levi Wallace is a matchup that scares me.

What have you seen from the Bills that makes you think they will not take them seriously? It’s only a trap game if they don’t. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t really see it that way, tbh. If the Bills lose it will be simply because they play poorly. The Bengals haven’t won a game since last Dec 16 and never appear to expect to win a game. They never look pissed off when they lose. They accept it. That’s an attitude that comes from the top of the organization. On the other hand the Bills emulate, to a man, a week to week approach that is going to focus on winning their home opener and nothing more. 

Yes, it's time to "defend our dirt" as McD preaches. 

I thought Taylor was an uninspiring HC hire but we'll see how things play out. Bengals did just come off a crushing loss to Seattle and their performance yesterday had that sort of shellshocked look to it. It's too bad Glenn (we got them good on that trade!) and Jonah aren't playing because their offense has the potential to be amazing, but it looks fairly one-dimensional with Mixon not getting any holes and Dalton under pressure. Boyd and Ross are legit even without AJ. And Eifert is still playing football amazingly; one has to wonder if he still has the high ceiling anymore. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What have you seen from the Bills that makes you think they will not take them seriously? It’s only a trap game if they don’t. 

Nothing. Like I said, I think this team has the right type of mentality to not overlook opponents.

However, until we see it, there's no guarantee that that's the case. It's one thing to go on the road as underdogs in a league where no one expects much from you and get a couple wins. It's a different type of challenge entirely to be 2-0, facing a team you're "supposed to" beat, and actually get the job done and not have a letdown.

I guess you could say that I've seen this movie too many times before, and in the past, the ending has always been the same. I am scarred from the past 20 years of Bills fandom. There's nothing I'd love more than to watch the Bills blow out the Bengals. I'll be at the game -- one of only two I'm attending live this season -- and I desperately want to see a Bills win. But as our old friend Buddy "Froghorn Leghorn" Nix once saidd: "This is a tough game for tough payple!". Wins are never easy in the NFL.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Nothing. Like I said, I think this team has the right type of mentality to not overlook opponents.

However, until we see it, there's no guarantee that that's the case. It's one thing to go on the road as underdogs in a league where no one expects much from you and get a couple wins. It's a different type of challenge entirely to be 2-0, facing a team you're "supposed to" beat, and actually get the job done and not have a letdown.

I guess you could say that I've seen this movie too many times before, and in the past, the ending has always been the same. I am scarred from the past 20 years of Bills fandom. There's nothing I'd love more than to watch the Bills blow out the Bengals. I'll be at the game -- one of only two I'm attending live this season -- and I desperately want to see a Bills win. But as our old friend Buddy "Froghorn Legorn" Nix once saidd: "This is a tough game for tough payple!". Wins are never easy in the NFL.

They weren’t underdogs yesterday, they were favored 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand fans that are used to the Bills botching big opportunities (TNF vs. Jets two years ago, etc.), but I fully believe that this team struggled the past two years because the roster was still in transition. Especially after the first few weeks of last season the defense was lock down and then Allen came back making strides. This Bills team is prepared week in and week out and they will be ready for Cincy. John Ross is fast, but so is Robby Anderson and so is Saquon Barkley. We'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I guess you could say that I've seen this movie too many times before, and in the past, the ending has always been the same. I am scarred from the past 20 years of Bills fandom. There's nothing I'd love more than to watch the Bills blow out the Bengals. I'll be at the game -- one of only two I'm attending live this season -- and I desperately want to see a Bills win. But as our old friend Buddy "Froghorn Leghorn" Nix once saidd: "This is a tough game for tough payple!". Wins are never easy in the NFL.

1) It's FOGHORN leghorn

2) Don't live in the past, brother. Live in the now.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

They weren’t underdogs yesterday, they were favored 

Yes, the betting line favored them. I still consider a team that many projected at 6-7 wins going on the road to be a bit of an underdog, but technically, you're right.

And anyway, I'm just saying: Anyone who says they're 100% confident in victory this coming week must have missed some big chunks of the past 20 years. That's all I'm saying. 

Just now, Big C said:

I understand fans that are used to the Bills botching big opportunities (TNF vs. Jets two years ago, etc.), but I fully believe that this team struggled the past two years because the roster was still in transition. Especially after the first few weeks of last season the defense was lock down and then Allen came back making strides. This Bills team is prepared week in and week out and they will be ready for Cincy. John Ross is fast, but so is Robby Anderson and so is Saquon Barkley. We'll be fine.

The Bills could certainly lose the game but i just don’t get why it would have anything to do with it being a trap of any kind. They could lose if they play poorly, they are capable of playing poorly. 

• Like (+1) 2

Another game like last week. I have a rough time seeing a L in this one. Dalton would have to be perfect against a strong secondary. If the Bills can get a pass rush going (they should be able to) then it’s going to be a long day for the Bengals offense. I’m confident in the Bills offense being able to put up the points required to win. I see another 14-17 point defensive effort. 31-17 Bills

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yes, the betting line favored them. I still consider a team that many projected at 6-7 wins going on the road to be a bit of an underdog, but technically, you're right.

And anyway, I'm just saying: Anyone who says they're 100% confident in victory this coming week must have missed some big chunks of the past 20 years. That's all I'm saying. 

Not at all, regardless of opponent. Not in the nfl. It’s a week to week league. but it won’t be a “trap” - this team is frothing at the mouth for the home opener.

at the same time, the Bengals are not good, they are not better than their record. They are bad. That said, the Bills can lose to them if they play bad. It won’t be because they “overlooked” them. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the underlying threat, in my eyes, is that Cinci offense versus that Bills defense. That could be death for us. This is where the game will be won or lost.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

I think the underlying threat, in my eyes, is that Cinci offense versus that Bills defense. That could be death for us. This is where the game will be won or lost.

Are the Bills Offense on vacation?  There are 3 phases to a football game.  The Bills will try to win all of them.

9 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

are you underestimating the bills defense? cincy is dead last in rushing so dalton will be relying on the passing (2nd) game and he will be having fits with the bills front as well as the bills secondary is pretty darn good. if there was a game I felt more confident in (aside from the fish) it's this game. home opener, the energy is going to be immense, bills win!!

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

10 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

If the bengals offense is the death of the Bills defense, it’s very very bad news. The LOS should be pretty one sided. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Are the Bills Offense on vacation?  There are 3 phases to a football game.  The Bills will try to win all of them.

Allen hasn’t arrived yet. We’ve yet to see him have a 300yd game let alone a 350 or 400 yard one. The Bills are very much a defensive driven team. If our defense gives up points early on against a seasoned Bengals offense, can Allen lead us back? Is he there yet in his development as a player? 

I stand and by it. If our defense stands strong, we win. If they do not, I think Buffalo loses this one. This will not be an easy game for us, Dalton is a seasoned vet with playoff experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sunshower said:

Allen hasn’t arrived yet. We’ve yet to see him have a 300yd game let alone a 350 or 400 yard one. The Bills are very much a defensive driven team. If our defense gives up points early on against a seasoned Bengals offense, can Allen lead us back? Is he there yet in his development as a player? 

I stand and by it. If our defense stands strong, we win. If they do not, I think Buffalo loses this one. This will not be an easy game for us, Dalton is a seasoned vet with playoff experience.

so was eli, in his house.

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

are you underestimating the bills defense? cincy is dead last in rushing so dalton will be relying on the passing (2nd) game and he will be having fits with the bills front as well as the bills secondary is pretty darn good. if there was a game I felt more confident in (aside from the fish) it's this game. home opener, the energy is going to be immense, bills win!!

I’ve always respected Dalton since his days at TCU, the guy is no bull####. Our defense is very young, our nuclei is very young. We should and will win if our defense stands tall.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Too early to talk trap game.  Players still seem to have a chip on their shoulder in not being taken seriously by the outside observers.  They know that they can make a statement with a very strong outing at home this week.  There's little to suggest they're looking at anything beyond this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1