Week 3: Bills (-6) v Bengals

dubs

Just really glad this game is at home and it's the opener.  This team is scary on offense if Mixon is healthy.  Dalton is on pace for 5000 yards and when he's on he's as good as most---unless the start time is after 8pm.  

This is the first time in 20 years I'm referring to a Bills game as a trap game.  Too much talk about next week and stomping this team as if it's a foregone conclusion.....what an awesome place to finally be in!

47 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Just really glad this game is at home and it's the opener.  This team is scary on offense if Mixon is healthy.  Dalton is on pace for 5000 yards and when he's on he's as good as most---unless the start time is after 8pm.  

This is the first time in 20 years I'm referring to a Bills game as a trap game.  Too much talk about next week and stomping this team as if it's a foregone conclusion.....what an awesome place to finally be in!

Strength against Strength there--their Pass O, Bills Pass D.

57 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

...we really need to get "The Hat" as a feared venue to play in like yesteryear.....in the "good 'ol days", "W" was not the question versus "by how much?".....

• Like (+1) 1

There is such a thing as a trap game but it's different then what folks think.  Last season Minnesota lost a trap game to the Bills.  Why was that a trap game and not a "on any given Sunday" game? 

*  The vikings were at home facing a Bills team with a raw rookie at QB.  A rookie who could not beat out Nathan Peterman and who 90% of the NFL QB experts were predicting was a raw prospect that would likely be a bust.  There was NO evidence whatsoever that Allen would be jumping OVER LB's. 

*  The Vikes had watched the previous 2 Bills games on tape and it's hard not to think they came away feeling very confident.  The loss to Baltimore was historic and things didn't get a whole lot better against LA the next week.

*  On tape, there was ZERO evidence that Buffalo had a good defense.  In fact all the evidence pointed to a race to the bottom between the Bill's defense & offense.  There was no indication from the tape that the Bills could rise up and play championship caliber defense generating TO's and shutting the Vikings offense down.

*  By the time the Vikings were aware they were in a trap, they were down 17 - 0 and facing a Bills defense that would go on and become one of the top 5 defenses in the league.

This week is different IMO because:

*  The Bills know Dalton is a good QB that can play lights out.  They also know that whatever the O-lines problems are Mixon is an elite NFL RB.  And it's obvious the Bengals have an emerging stud at WR in Ross.

*  While the Bengals laid an egg last week the Bills have seen the tape of their 21 - 20 loss to Seattle.  A tape that shows the Bengals DOMINATED the Seahawks in everything but the score.  The Bengals defense, that was so bad last week, held Wilson & company in check and the Bengals offense shredded the Seahawks defense IN SEATTLE!

So I'm very confident that the Bills will not be underestimating Cincinnati in the same way that the Vikings underestimated the Bills last year.  My fear is that the Bengal's will p[lay like they did against Seattle (I watched the game) and if they do they are more then capable of beating the Bills.

Still I'm predicting a Bills 34 - 17 victory because I think this team is good and getting better.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There is such a thing as a trap game but it's different then what folks think.  Last season Minnesota lost a trap game to the Bills.  Why was that a trap game and not a "on any given Sunday" game? 

*  The vikings were at home facing a Bills team with a raw rookie at QB.  A rookie who could not beat out Nathan Peterman and who 90% of the NFL QB experts were predicting was a raw prospect that would likely be a bust.  There was NO evidence whatsoever that Allen would be jumping OVER LB's. 

*  The Vikes had watched the previous 2 Bills games on tape and it's hard not to think they came away feeling very confident.  The loss to Baltimore was historic and things didn't get a whole lot better against LA the next week.

*  On tape, there was ZERO evidence that Buffalo had a good defense.  In fact all the evidence pointed to a race to the bottom between the Bill's defense & offense.  There was no indication from the tape that the Bills could rise up and play championship caliber defense generating TO's and shutting the Vikings offense down.

*  By the time the Vikings were aware they were in a trap, they were down 17 - 0 and facing a Bills defense that would go on and become one of the top 5 defenses in the league.

This week is different IMO because:

*  The Bills know Dalton is a good QB that can play lights out.  They also know that whatever the O-lines problems are Mixon is an elite NFL RB.  And it's obvious the Bengals have an emerging stud at WR in Ross.

*  While the Bengals laid an egg last week the Bills have seen the tape of their 21 - 20 loss to Seattle.  A tape that shows the Bengals DOMINATED the Seahawks in everything but the score.  The Bengals defense, that was so bad last week, held Wilson & company in check and the Bengals offense shredded the Seahawks defense IN SEATTLE!

So I'm very confident that the Bills will not be underestimating Cincinnati in the same way that the Vikings underestimated the Bills last year.  My fear is that the Bengal's will p[lay like they did against Seattle (I watched the game) and if they do they are more then capable of beating the Bills.

Still I'm predicting a Bills 34 - 17 victory because I think this team is good and getting better.

I'm kinda thinking you just pulled that 90% number out of your butt.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

that's hilarious

1 hour ago, eball said:

So stop right now, because trap games don't exist.

This is only a “trap game” in the minds of fans.  I guarantee you that McD is not allowing that thinking to take root on the team.  They may get beat but it will not be because they took the Bengals lightly or were unprepared.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

This is only a “trap game” in the minds of fans.  I guarantee you that McD is not allowing that thinking to take root on the team.  They may get beat but it will not be because they took the Bengals lightly or were unprepared.  

This x100. If they play poorly they will lose. It won’t be because they were looking ahead. The Bengals have enough talent that I’m sure the Bills are pretty juiced to go up against them, it’s a great test. They do suck as a team overall imo  but that’s not indicative of the talent they have in certain areas and it doesn’t mean they couldn’t beat most anybody save maybe the Pats 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I'm kinda thinking you just pulled that 90% number out of your butt.

Well I didn't conduct an exhaustive survey but yea it seemed like that in the months leading up to the start of last season the "experts" were overwhelmingly predicting that Allen would be a bust.  Was it 90% - who knows.  Maybe it was only 82.3%.  But a lot of the national & expert NFL guys were saying Allen was going to be a bust.  Back then Allen's strongest support came from a small group of ex QB's and Mel Kiper!  

In fact looking at the early season assessments of last years QB class the two rookie QB's who would least scare a team were Josh Allen & Lamar Jackson.

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This x100. If they play poorly they will lose. It won’t be because they were looking ahead. The Bengals have enough talent that I’m sure the Bills are pretty juiced to go up against them, it’s a great test. They do suck as a team overall imo  but that’s not indicative of the talent they have in certain areas and it doesn’t mean they couldn’t beat most anybody save maybe the Pats 

Bengals seem to be a strange matchup for us since Tre White came into the league. I know it has nothing to do with him specifically, but AJ Green is like Tre White kryptonite.  Preseason, regular season, whatever. Seems to struggle against him, but that’s just because he’s set the bar so high with respect to every other guy he covers. We expect perfection. AJ Green looks to be out this game which should help. John Ross straight up abused Quitter Vontae last year in the preseason game. Yes, it was preseason, but it’s not like it was against scrubs. Those skills translate and he’s dangerous due to that speed. 

Okay I've been down here listening to Cincinnati talk radio.  And here's what the local analysts and a couple of national guys they've had on their shows are saying about the Bills:

*  The first thing you hear is that sure the Bills are 2 - 0 but they played the Giants & Jets.  At that point you get a belly laugh!

*  Then you get an admission that the Bills play good defense.

*  On the question of Josh Allen it's the same old tired refrain from last year:  1)  He's still inaccurate!   2)  He still is playing hero ball and will make bonehead throws!  3)  His highs are high but his lows are LOWWWWW.  Put pressure on him and he'll make all kinds of mistakes! 

*  The best analysis IMO came from Bengal's color analyst Dave Lapham who pointed out that since a rocky first half start against the Jets the Allen led Bills offense had scored 6 TD's in 16 possessions which included a couple of end of half & end of game kneel downs.  He's also the only guy I've heard say that Allen is much improved over last year.

*  On Laphams show Eric Wood called in (he's a local guy who played at Elder high school) and that's been the highlight of this weeks local Cincy coverage of the game.  Both Wood & Lapham know their stuff and I was very impressed with Wood as a radio commentator. 

*  Overall there's a weird sense of over confidence and impending doom from the locals about this game.  This is understandable given how well the Bengals played against the Seahawks and how crappy they played against the 49's.  At least from a local fans and sports experts POV this IS the make or break game for the Bengal's season.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 2