Week 3: Bills (-6) v Bengals

dubs

39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

There's an awful lot of hubris in this thread for a team that was 6-10 last year and has wins against two of the worst teams in football.

Don't get me wrong: I believe this to be a game that Buffalo should win. I don't, however, see it as a foregone conclusion, cake walk, or even anything more than a game in which they should be favored.

I'm certainly not of the mindset that this game is a cakewalk.  None are in the NFL, well except for maybe the 2019 Dolphins. 

I don't really care about the 6-10 mark from last year though.. 

-Rookie QB who only played half the season, and while raw, got better and better.  He's clearly looking the part this year. 

-Seven active OL on Gamedays..  Only 1 of these guys were here last year. 

-Entirely new running back unit. 

-Our #1, #2 and #3 WR's are now #3, #4 and #5 Wr's. 

-Brand new Tight Ends. 

-The Defense was Top 10 and was only enhanced with the depth additions in the secondary and the swapping of Kyle with Oliver.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

There's an awful lot of hubris in this thread for a team that was 6-10 last year and has wins against two of the worst teams in football.

Don't get me wrong: I believe this to be a game that Buffalo should win. I don't, however, see it as a foregone conclusion, cake walk, or even anything more than a game in which they should be favored.

The Bengals were also 6-10 last year.

No game is ever "easy".   (unless you have the refs in your pocket) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

This is shaping up to be a last minute decision most likely......

Just bench him. Singletary needs to be healthy for the rest of the year. Gore and Yeldon can hold down the fort for one game. If Singletary is really day to day, make sure that he doesn't take a shot too early which takes him out for a month or longer.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I'm thrilled they won 2 road games as well. It's a great start and I totally agree with your points. That said, the Bills were outscored 78-23 in their first two games last year. They went to Minnesota, a playoff team in 2017 who was 1-0-1 coming in and  totally outplayed them. It's the NFL. They are one lack of focus and effort or bad luck from a bad loss. 2-1 with New England coming in and a tough road game in Tennessee does not look nearly as good as 3-0 and could change in a major way the perceptions we have of the 2-0 start.

And I take these points as well. I'm certainly not convinced they're destined for greatness and I understand that you can extrapolate some things that would lead to questions about the significance. I definitely entered the season as a "skeptic" and I would have to say I remain somewhat skeptical. My main point is that I don't get TOO caught up in who they beat, etc. even if I agree with much of what you say. AT THIS POINT, they've gotten the job done. The Jets game certainly wasn't pretty, but they WON. How many times in our recent history have the Bills found a way to "make it a game" late in the 4th and ended up on the losing side of the equation? I suppose I view two road wins, against any NFL opponent,(maybe not Miami) as a great way to start the season. I've also seen some things, mainly in the Giants game, that I didn't see from Allen last season, even down the stretch when his play was improved. Looks much more decisive, finding his intermediate target, scanning the field, etc. What you need to see from a 2nd year QB is progress. So far, I've seen progress. Not exactly setting the league by storm, but progress. I'm personally more encouraged than I have been at any point about his prospects to emerge as a franchise QB.

All of it could of course fall apart and the season could end poorly for both the Bills and for Allen. But right now, I like a number of things I've seen and I feel like alot of the stuff I've completely dismissed as nonsense, ie "process" could very well have some merit. Time will tell as they say.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

No BBFS here; just a total refusal to draw any conclusions (or even inferences) about 90% of the league based upon weeks 1 and 2.

right. you're not saying anything that I don't think anyone with a level head doesn't already know. people are saying the bills SHOULD handle the bengals. I agree. but all the factors you have mentioned play a part in my hesitance along with the fact that the bills routinely let us down in this sort of scenario, which I light heartedly referred to as BBFS..… i'll save some of those beers for you. maybe it'll lighten ya up a bit. ?

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Confidence is fine.

The "there's no way we lose" type bravado I'm seeing from some fans is misplaced.

It’s their bravado. Who tf are you to say different? Bills fans are excited. The team hasn’t lost a game going back to December. Alit  your high horse. You’re far from the scholarly School Marm you fancy yourself. What if it turns out it isn’t misplaced? Will you come back to give a mea culpa?

Rhetorical question. I know you won’t.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1