Week 3: Bills (-6) v Bengals

dubs

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

man up.

Once they prove to me that there will not be a Billsy loss like history shows.  I will feel more confident.  I felt good against the Jets and Giants.  I also feel that the Bills should handle the Bengals as well, but there is that feeling of a Billsy Loss.

33 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Yes he is pushing the ball downfield and unquestionably the short/intermediate range passes are going to continue to be the staple of the team's passing attack, as it is of just about every teams that has a good passing game. Nobody lives/dies predominately with the long ball. And of course there is nothing wrong with weekly 250 yard passing performances. What I'm saying is that something that would help our O, to help put it over the top, would be to better establish the long ball as a credible threat. Against weaker teams 350 yards of passing O  would be nice to see once in a while. I think we have the passer and the receivers to do (more) of that. If you don't think that is true, I don't know what to tell you, except that we disagree. 

By the way, the Jets had a couple of really bad corners playing in that first game. It's largely because we picked on them that we won. Y'know, John Brown. Just saying I'd like to see a bit more of that. Oh, so maybe you don't think Allen is capable of that. Well then again we disagree. 

No, not at all. I thought thats what you were getting at with saying we need to see that. I think he is more than capable and has been showing it for weeks now (dating back to last season). I don't personally need to see him throw for a certain number of yards to see that we have a true NFL passing attack finally. We certainly do. 

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

No, not at all. I thought thats what you were getting at with saying we need to see that. I think he is more than capable and has been showing it for weeks now (dating back to last season). I don't personally need to see him throw for a certain number of yards to see that we have a true NFL passing attack finally. We certainly do. 

No one, not his most ardent pre-draft critics, have ever doubted Josh Allen's ability to throw the long ball. He and Mahomes probably have the strongest arms in the NFL. And Allen's long ball was also always credited with reasonable to above average accuracy. It was the perceived inaccuracy of his short passing game that was flagged as a potential career ending liability (along with occasional poor decision making). Given a pocket to work from dude has the wherewithal to be one of the better long ball artist in the game without question. I'm pretty sure eventually we will see more of it, just a question of when Daboll decides to deploy it. Agree that we have an NFL passing attack. IMO a credible long ball threat very much helps to preserve it, especially against the better, more complete Ds we will in due course be facing. Like NE for example. 

I don't think I've seen this article posted yet.... Fun little pump up read for the week!   "Today's Bills roam from town to town, barrels blazing, eyes open for the next overstuffed heavy to flatten into a memory. This time around, Week 17 won't do for an endpoint,".... HELL YES.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055843/article/bills-season-should-include-playoff-trip-dallas-boasts-rising-star

Road-warrior Bills roam from burgh to burgh laying waste

Dust and nothingness.

That's what the Buffalo Bills would amount to if the National Football League was birthed today.

Hand-picking 32 teams from bustling meccas boasting money-in-the-bank television markets, new-day gridiron architects would brush off the tractor beam of Western New York in favor of the Orlando SunSpots, San Antonio Droid-Mares or London Underground.

Thank the Maker we have the Bills, pro football's beloved rough-and-tumble band of heavies completely unwilling to play along with the script. These delightful, red-white-and-blue clad footballers have attacked the NFL as would any plugged-in military general worth his salt: house-by-house and town-by-town until the region -- and beyond -- is won.

The Bills have opened the campaign by setting their in-state rivals on fire, marching 369 miles by night from Buffalo to East Rutherford, New Jersey, where the sleeping Jets were camped a week ago. Tired by their on-foot journey, Buffalo fell into a 16-0 hole against Sam Darnold, Le'Veon Bell and a Gang Green squad that generated a dash of playoff buzz in August. The Bills would not be held down, though, squelching the Jets in a blaze of holy fire, leaving their AFC East rivals banged, tattered and nursing strange viruses.

Buffalo's defensive unit returned one week later to thump the New York Football Giants, pulling the plug on Big Blue's paint-by-numbers offense led by a since-benched Eli Manning. Josh Allen's bruising Bills attack did the rest, with the second-year quarterback overcoming spats of pocket pressure to author touchdown drives of 75, 70, 98 and 75 yards.

The Bills walked into MetLife Stadium and torched the place to terra firma, opening 2-0 on the road for the first time in franchise history. You can bash these merits by dismissing the Giants and Jets as suspect operations, but I'd point to Buffalo's makeup: One of the game's top defenses armed with an early Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate in first-rounder Ed Oliver, who coaxed a trance-state Eli into a batted pass late in the second quarter that wound up being picked off, killing a scoring chance for New York in Buffalo territory.

Allen is far from crystal clean. He spat out four turnovers against the Jets, but showed resiliency as Buffalo put up 17 unanswered points for the win. On Sunday, the quarterback displayed the brand of progress you hope for in a second-year passer, eschewing the desire to scramble in favor of finding targets John Brown and Cole Beasley in space. Coach Sean McDermott has worked seamlessly with defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and offensive play-caller Brian Daboll to milk the most out of a roster light on stars but heavy on crush-you-into-salt cohesiveness.

It's easy to forget McDermott tugged a much-lesser Bills club into the postseason two years ago, falling 10-3 to the Blake Bortles-led Jaguars in a low-wattage slugfest that left viewers questioning human existence. I have no memory of covering the tussle, but it happened, as I noted in a lonely January report: "This white-knuckle affair resembled a brand of football your grandfather's grandfather watched on a 12-inch black-and-white boob tube in fire-lit parlors during ancient days of old."

We're farther along in history now, Super-Woke in a new world where Buffalo rolls into autumn Sundays as one of the game's more intriguing, rugged-but-lovable offerings. Unbeaten and untied after a fortnight on the road, the Bills return home to face a work-in-progress Bengals team before hosting the Patriots in Week 4.

The NFL's acid test approaches -- and it's fair to wonder if this year's club will simply blend into previous editions of Bills Team X vs. Little Miss Perfect Patriots: A few punches to New England's chiseled midsection before Tom Brady -- or fill-in-the-blank recently acquired superstar -- lands a right hook that reduces Buffalo's wannabe lineup into a blubbering King Hippo.

That's how it's been for two decades of despair in those old Western New York towns of Tonawanda, West Seneca, Getzville and Depew. Rochester, Lackawanna, Blasdell and Sloan have known little but sadness from Orchard Park as Buffalo's football team appeared destined to spend every January shoveling the driveway.

This year's plot feels punched up in all the right ways: Dismissed bumpkins from a distant corner of the Empire State ride into the big city and lay TOTAL WASTE to their tabloid-generating in-state foes, turning the G-Men into g-men and the Jets into a child's paper plane fluttering toward a puddle of godless fire.

Today's Bills roam from town to town, barrels blazing, eyes open for the next overstuffed heavy to flatten into a memory. This time around, Week 17 won't do for an endpoint.

The anti-hero we need is among us.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Checking out the Bengals forums most of them feel they lose this one against us badly. 

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Bengals-Bills-predictions--21186

"The Bills are 2-0 and riding the high of a young QB and playing with a ton of energy.

The Bengals are 0-2 and riding around in a circle of the drain playing with the energy of a corpse.

Oh, and it is at Buffalo.

Bills 30
Bengals 10"

"Buffalo isn't as good as SanFran. I'll say 34 - 20 Bills win."   

"31-13 Bills It would be 31-16 except for the missed FG."

"Lot of whistling past the graveyard in this thread.  30-16 Buffalo.  Score could be worse, but Bills let off the gas in deference to Andy, who's still Jerry-Lewis-in-France-popular with the Bills fans for his New Year's Eve heroics back in '17. "

A couple saying the Bengals will win but all in all the majority thinking Bills win. 

31 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don't think I've seen this article posted yet.... Fun little pump up read for the week!   "Today's Bills roam from town to town, barrels blazing, eyes open for the next overstuffed heavy to flatten into a memory. This time around, Week 17 won't do for an endpoint,".... HELL YES.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055843/article/bills-season-should-include-playoff-trip-dallas-boasts-rising-star

Road-warrior Bills roam from burgh to burgh laying waste

Dust and nothingness.

That's what the Buffalo Bills would amount to if the National Football League was birthed today.

Hand-picking 32 teams from bustling meccas boasting money-in-the-bank television markets, new-day gridiron architects would brush off the tractor beam of Western New York in favor of the Orlando SunSpots, San Antonio Droid-Mares or London Underground.

Thank the Maker we have the Bills, pro football's beloved rough-and-tumble band of heavies completely unwilling to play along with the script. These delightful, red-white-and-blue clad footballers have attacked the NFL as would any plugged-in military general worth his salt: house-by-house and town-by-town until the region -- and beyond -- is won.

The Bills have opened the campaign by setting their in-state rivals on fire, marching 369 miles by night from Buffalo to East Rutherford, New Jersey, where the sleeping Jets were camped a week ago. Tired by their on-foot journey, Buffalo fell into a 16-0 hole against Sam Darnold, Le'Veon Bell and a Gang Green squad that generated a dash of playoff buzz in August. The Bills would not be held down, though, squelching the Jets in a blaze of holy fire, leaving their AFC East rivals banged, tattered and nursing strange viruses.

Buffalo's defensive unit returned one week later to thump the New York Football Giants, pulling the plug on Big Blue's paint-by-numbers offense led by a since-benched Eli Manning. Josh Allen's bruising Bills attack did the rest, with the second-year quarterback overcoming spats of pocket pressure to author touchdown drives of 75, 70, 98 and 75 yards.

The Bills walked into MetLife Stadium and torched the place to terra firma, opening 2-0 on the road for the first time in franchise history. You can bash these merits by dismissing the Giants and Jets as suspect operations, but I'd point to Buffalo's makeup: One of the game's top defenses armed with an early Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate in first-rounder Ed Oliver, who coaxed a trance-state Eli into a batted pass late in the second quarter that wound up being picked off, killing a scoring chance for New York in Buffalo territory.

Allen is far from crystal clean. He spat out four turnovers against the Jets, but showed resiliency as Buffalo put up 17 unanswered points for the win. On Sunday, the quarterback displayed the brand of progress you hope for in a second-year passer, eschewing the desire to scramble in favor of finding targets John Brown and Cole Beasley in space. Coach Sean McDermott has worked seamlessly with defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and offensive play-caller Brian Daboll to milk the most out of a roster light on stars but heavy on crush-you-into-salt cohesiveness.

It's easy to forget McDermott tugged a much-lesser Bills club into the postseason two years ago, falling 10-3 to the Blake Bortles-led Jaguars in a low-wattage slugfest that left viewers questioning human existence. I have no memory of covering the tussle, but it happened, as I noted in a lonely January report: "This white-knuckle affair resembled a brand of football your grandfather's grandfather watched on a 12-inch black-and-white boob tube in fire-lit parlors during ancient days of old."

We're farther along in history now, Super-Woke in a new world where Buffalo rolls into autumn Sundays as one of the game's more intriguing, rugged-but-lovable offerings. Unbeaten and untied after a fortnight on the road, the Bills return home to face a work-in-progress Bengals team before hosting the Patriots in Week 4.

The NFL's acid test approaches -- and it's fair to wonder if this year's club will simply blend into previous editions of Bills Team X vs. Little Miss Perfect Patriots: A few punches to New England's chiseled midsection before Tom Brady -- or fill-in-the-blank recently acquired superstar -- lands a right hook that reduces Buffalo's wannabe lineup into a blubbering King Hippo.

That's how it's been for two decades of despair in those old Western New York towns of Tonawanda, West Seneca, Getzville and Depew. Rochester, Lackawanna, Blasdell and Sloan have known little but sadness from Orchard Park as Buffalo's football team appeared destined to spend every January shoveling the driveway.

This year's plot feels punched up in all the right ways: Dismissed bumpkins from a distant corner of the Empire State ride into the big city and lay TOTAL WASTE to their tabloid-generating in-state foes, turning the G-Men into g-men and the Jets into a child's paper plane fluttering toward a puddle of godless fire.

Today's Bills roam from town to town, barrels blazing, eyes open for the next overstuffed heavy to flatten into a memory. This time around, Week 17 won't do for an endpoint.

The anti-hero we need is among us.

This was a delight to read, and it sounds like the mentality the Bills should embrace.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I read it in my Vince Facenda voice with NFL Films orchestra music in the background ?

My username started off with a joke about how if the NFL was Game of Thrones, the Bills would be the Whitewalkers. I could stand some armies of the dead level raiding against pretty boy Tommy Lanny and his golden hand :P

• Like (+1) 1