Week 3: Bills (-6) v Bengals

dubs

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

kind of a Lamp, but I was saying this by week 11 last year. His otherworldly passing skills mean no down and distance is too far. 3rd & 12 is equivalent to 3rd & 2 with Allen. On Any given play, there’s a chance for a 50 yard play. It’s wildly refreshing considering the multitude of seasons with Trent, JP, EJ, etc where a 3rd & 7 spelled punt. 

With the early returns on his highly evident passing improvement, the sky can truly be the limit. 

I don’t know that we’re ready to dethrone NE* just yet, but I don’t see glaring weaknesses. This group just needs to come together as a team and I think they are. 

We’ll win Sunday any way the game flow shakes out.

When Allen breaks the pocket and starts playing backyard football like Tyrod used to....I have confidence it's going to be a big play.  
Eventually someone opens up and it's a 15+ yard play...we've seen the countless amount of times.

The difference between him and Taylor is Taylor normally would just keep it himself.  Allen still keeps his eyes downfield and is very accurate on the run.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 hours ago, eball said:

That right there is a Senator-worthy prediction.

So far the Bills are 2-0 this season when I go with that score so I don't see any reason to change it.

16 hours ago, eball said:

I'll boil it down to one simple statement -- there is really no such thing as a  "trap game."  Teams favored to win their next game against an "inferior" opponent do so at the same rate whether or not there is a perceived "big game" the following week on their schedule.

I'm sure they do.

From my experience in picking against the spread, I've been successful taking the underdog when it looks like the favorite may overlook the game. It happens a lot with the Pats, probably because they know they will always end up beating a team they are favored to beat by double digits. The only team I would not consider this year is the Fins...

So a trap game to me is also one where the heavy favorite (double digits) lollygags through a game, still winning, but way under the spread. As I mentioned, I don't see McD allowing the Bills to get complacent, especially after only two games. I think the O throws up 30+ Sunday.

Not really up on the Bengals so there is that. I see that they are having O-line issues and that they favour a pass heavy O. If they stick with it that favours the Bills. Subject to exactly what their run blocking ability is right now, I would have thought their gameplan would be to at least try to establish the run. I like both Mixon and GB. If they can do that their passing game would benefit and John Ross is the type of receiver that can create problems for our secondary if they can get him in single coverage on the outside.

What I'd like to see is for the Bills to put in a convincing performance on both sides of the ball, but especially on offence. JA's progress has been very encouraging but sooner or later Daboll will have to open things up. I want to see how Allen handles that.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Not really up on the Bengals so there is that. I see that they are having O-line issues and that they favour a pass heavy O. If they stick with it that favours the Bills. Subject to exactly what their run blocking ability is right now, I would have thought their gameplan would be to at least try to establish the run. I like both Mixon and GB. If they can do that their passing game would benefit and John Ross is the type of receiver that can create problems for our secondary if they can get him in single coverage on the outside.

What I'd like to see is for the Bills to put in a convincing performance on both sides of the ball, but especially on offence. JA's progress has been very encouraging but sooner or later Daboll will have to open things up. I want to see how Allen handles that.

out of curiosity, what would you consider daboll "opening things up" lol...id say things have looked pretty friggin open personally.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

out of curiosity, what would you consider daboll "opening things up" lol...id say things have looked pretty friggin open personally.

Yes the Bills O has been fairly well balanced and diversified overall. It certainly hasn't been conservative. The short passing game has been and will obviously continue to be central and it's been great to see Allen execute it as well as he has so far. The short passing game has been a question with him and he appears to be answering it. But I'm thinking ahead to what more we need to do when we play a really solid defence, like in a couple of weeks. To leave open the short passing game as a viable option I think we need to establish the long ball as a credible threat along the lines of when Allen overthrew Brown versus the Giants. Had they been able to connect on that it could very well have broken the G-Men and opened the door to the type of dominance that some, including me, have yet to see. That would enable us to consistently blow out weaker teams, and make us more competitive with better ones.  Allen has the arm and with Brown, Foster and Zay their WRs are good enuf to support this approach IMO.

Agree with some that I'd like to see us connect on some deep shots this week.  We haven't taken many this year, and with Brown and Foster on the outside, this seems like it should be a staple of a Josh Allen led Offense. 

If we're getting greedy, I'd also like to see Josh and Zay get on the same page more than once per game.  It just never seems to click with them, yet.   Zay probably could've housed that slant if Josh put it on him..  Those are plays Zay needs for his development.

Edited by SCBills

16 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Yes the Bills O has been fairly well balanced and diversified overall. It certainly hasn't been conservative. The short passing game has been and will obviously continue to be central and it's been great to see Allen execute it as well as he has so far. The short passing game has been a question with him and he appears to be answering it. But I'm thinking ahead to what more we need to do when we play a really solid defence, like in a couple of weeks. To leave open the short passing game as a viable option I think we need to establish the long ball as a credible threat along the lines of when Allen overthrew Brown versus the Giants. Had they been able to connect on that it could very well have broken the G-Men and opened the door to the type of dominance that some, including me, have yet to see. That would enable us to consistently blow out weaker teams, and make us more competitive with better ones.  Allen has the arm and with Brown, Foster and Zay their WRs are good enuf to support this approach IMO.

I would say we played a really solid defense in week 1 and JA threw for over 250 yards. Many of those passes were downfield/vertical. 

We saw many downfield/vertical passes last week. 

What you are calling a short passing game, I would argue is just called "a passing game". JA has been taking what the defense gives him, but also pushing the ball downfield. If you don't think he has pushing the ball down field, I don't know what to tell you. 

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

I would say we played a really solid defense in week 1 and JA threw for over 250 yards. Many of those passes were downfield/vertical. 

We saw many downfield/vertical passes last week. 

What you are calling a short passing game, I would argue is just called "a passing game". JA has been taking what the defense gives him, but also pushing the ball downfield. If you don't think he has pushing the ball down field, I don't know what to tell you. 

Yes he is pushing the ball downfield and unquestionably the short/intermediate range passes are going to continue to be the staple of the team's passing attack, as it is of just about every teams that has a good passing game. Nobody lives/dies predominately with the long ball. And of course there is nothing wrong with weekly 250 yard passing performances. What I'm saying is that something that would help our O, to help put it over the top, would be to better establish the long ball as a credible threat. Against weaker teams 350 yards of passing O  would be nice to see once in a while. I think we have the passer and the receivers to do (more) of that. If you don't think that is true, I don't know what to tell you, except that we disagree. 

By the way, the Jets had a couple of really bad corners playing in that first game. It's largely because we picked on them that we won. Y'know, John Brown. Just saying I'd like to see a bit more of that. Oh, so maybe you don't think Allen is capable of that. Well then again we disagree.