Jerry Hughes?

PJBrown7

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Could be two-fold:

1) Contain Barkley

2) Giants have a pretty good OL 

Giants have invested big time in their OLine: they gave a monster contract to Nate Solder last year, drafted Will Hernandez high and traded for Kevin Zeitler (part of the mega OBJ deal). That's a very solid OLine.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

DE's did not get much pressure but I also did not see them run many stunts. Seemed like it was a vanilla pass rush. I think they wanted to keep guys in their lanes to avoid getting gashed by the run.  

After getting gashed in the run game on the first drive they played more contain.

40 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

They did a great job shutting down SB -- and by extension the Giants -- after the first quarter.

I gotta wonder though, after that opening drive where Barklay tore them up, it seemed that the Giants abandoned the running game, more than the Bills shut it down...terrible play calling on their part, seemed to me.

5 hours ago, PJBrown7 said:

I didn’t see him today?...am I missing something?

Yes. Stopping Barkley was clearly a much bigger priority as it should be. The Giants have perhaps the best RB in the NFL and Eli is just terrible as are his receivers right now.

From my recollection, Solder has always done a good job against Jerry.  It was no different today.  Looked like the emphasis was on stopping Barkley and trusting our corners to blanket their assignments and hoping Eli was who we thought he was.  He was.  

6 hours ago, PJBrown7 said:

I didn’t see him today?...am I missing something?

Yup. You’re missing something. You might be missing a lot of things actually.

let me guess - you looked at the box score and didn't see him with 3 sacks so you decided to post. 

Edited by JoPoy88

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yup. You’re missing something. You might be missing a lot of things actually.

let me guess - you looked at the box score and didn't see him with 3 sacks so you decided to post. 

Maybe he did not look to see who Jerry was matched up most of game? Nate Solder who has always been a good OT and got a big $$ contract to come from New England.

Giants O-line is much better this year as they've only allowed one sack on the season (allowed zero to Dallas in the opener) and was rated the top line of week 1 by PFF.  Four batted balls at the line, containing Barkley after the first drive, and getting enough pressure on Manning to have a lot of throwaways was encouraging though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Our pass rush stinks without blitzing or stunts.

They only rush 4 when they have a multiple score lead. That's what keeps the opposition in games.

I wonder if anyone else notices that.

You can't just rush 4 guys all the time and expect to get pressure all the time. There isn't a team on the planet that is that good to just bring 4.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

From my recollection, Solder has always done a good job against Jerry.  It was no different today.  Looked like the emphasis was on stopping Barkley and trusting our corners to blanket their assignments and hoping Eli was who we thought he was.  He was.  

I was happy he signed with Giants and got out of AFC especially AFCE.

10 hours ago, DRA3196 said:

our defense was content to let Eli have time in the pocket to throw the ball instead of attacking the pocket with a pass rush. That is why our pass rush looked so invisible and the defense did not blitz much today. It was by design to hold Barkley to minimal gains. If McDermott was going to let the defense get beat it was going to be by Manning, not Barkley, our pass rush is fine. Hughes is fine, Murphy is fine, Lawson is fine, Darryl Johnson is fine. (He got banged up but came back into the game). WOW!!!

Darryl Johnson and Tom Sweeney were both seventh round picks. Both of them are playing and contributing. Neither player seems out of place. That's a tribute to the scouting department and coaching staff to get players and fit them in. It's too early to make a definitive judgment about this class but it appears to be turning into a sterling class.  

• Like (+1) 1