Poyer and Hyde make less than 10M combined

Hebert19

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the contracts they received were considered very generous..............especially Poyer who had done almost nothing as a pro.

I don't think people should get too attached to secondary members in this defense............if Josh Norman didn't get paid after he helped McD get to a SB then I'd say don't expect Tre to be getting $20M per or the safeties getting $10M.

Tre is very good and valuable. But you're right. McD can take guys and make them good players in this system the way Bellichick and Scarnecchia can take guys other teams don't want and make them into very efficient OL in their system.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

My hunch is they will extend Hyde. I suspect they think they can find another Poyer in the draft or FA.  

It is possible, but these guys love each other and work very well together. Depth is always good but I wouldn't be surprised if Poyer's agent in particular is already putting the feelers out for a raise and extension and frankly he deserves a little more. But someone has to walk at some point and you expect Tre, Milano, Edmunds get the big money on D and maybe in that case Poyer walks. We will see how it plays out.

21 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Hyde was railing guys when he got in in green bay. He was my favorite non-bills player for two years.

Since I am a Green Bay fan (no gear or anything like that) I was advocating Hyde when he was available.

This is what I think the Bills front office should do:  Ask to meet with both of their agents together during off season.  Tell them the Bills think the sum of the parts is more than the pieces, they both are benefiting from defense scheme and they want to give them both extensions but only if they both agree. If they cannot come to agreement then Bills will make sure scouting, both college and pro, keep an eye on safeties which fit scheme who may be available.

• Like (+1) 1

Props to the OP for this thread to give Poyer and Hyde their much-deserved respect.  I am immensely impressed with both of these guys both on and off the field.  They are obviously in the top 10 of the league individually, probably top 3 as a duo.  I've seen a little coverage of them in the press but not enough really.  The defense is just stacked with young talent though.  What a great problem to have!

These guys are human and they're gonna make some mistakes like everyone.  But I feel really good having both of them back there.  Tough as nails both of them.  And good dudes.  You won't hear about either of these studs getting into stupid scrapes in bars and clubs after hours.  Early additions to the D in terms of all the other new blood but really set the tone for hard and smart playing athletes with real brains and guys you can respect off the field too. 

The salary cap is in so much better shape.  They should get paid more and they probably will unless there's some younger blood already here making less $$.  But Bean and Co. will probably keep them around a little longer - I hope.  Man, it's a damn nice feeling to have those two back there every Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Bevis said:

Can't pay both crazy money, and both are getting old.  Probably have to pick one, and go with youth at the other position.

Definitely.  They're not making terrible money right now though given their position and histories before Buffalo.  You want to see all these guys get paid their due but they're not spring chickens. 

3 hours ago, Distorted One said:

Definitely.  They're not making terrible money right now though given their position and histories before Buffalo.  You want to see all these guys get paid their due but they're not spring chickens. 

They're both 28 and at the top of their games. I don't think anyone is expecting 8 year deals. Let's win some playoff games before we decide to jettison some of our most valuable players.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

When do we fix that?  

Hyde has 2 years left after this and poyer 1 but I feel like you get these guys locked up sooner than later as they are heart and soul of this defense.  We have the money now...should do sooner than later if you ask me.   Would like to see these guys here for next 4 years min.

I think they will wait until next year to do anything on either one of these guys especially if they think they can find another player in the draft that is equally as good of a athlete. That is what the league is about use a player in their prime to help the team get where they are going & then negotiate & if that doesn't go well bring in the younger guy to take their place ! 

The Bills are building really good depth on the team & i hope they can get these guys to stay on as core players because they are both deserving of a good contract but how much do they think they are worth is the question ? I hope & think neither believe they are prima donna's like a certain few in the league do .

McD & Beane find good character players which hopefully shows in how they conduct them selves even in the contract phase, work on a good contract for their future but don't pull a Gordon, or other prima donna moves that have happened lately in the NFL ...

Hyde signed a 5 year 30+ million dollar contract that he is not yet half way thru.

I extremely doubt they will redo his contract any time soon.

Poyer on the other hand could definitely get an extension and bigger $'s in the off season.

Putting a chunk of his signing bonus on top of next years salary (which is low) is the way to do it.

Poyer had an interview last week I will try to dig up where he was very complimentary of Josh Allen.  He stated something along the lines of I hope that is my QB the rest of my career.  If Josh can be what we all want him to be some guys will stay for the opportunity to win.  Poyer and Hyde are excellent in this system and I hope both stay until the end of their careers.  That said I fully trust McD to find and coach secondary players.  He did it in Carolina and is continuing that here in Buffalo.

Found it: Qoute is about 10 minutes but his whole interview was good (it is from week 1 fyi)

Edited by section122
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Hyde signed a 5 year 30+ million dollar contract that he is not yet half way thru.

I extremely doubt they will redo his contract any time soon.

Poyer on the other hand could definitely get an extension and bigger $'s in the off season.

Putting a chunk of his signing bonus on top of next years salary (which is low) is the way to do it.

Appreciate the numbers on Hyde.  I recall a decent contract to land him but didn't realize it was that nice.  The guy is very good and professional so he deserves it.  Let's hope they give Poyer his due.  I think they will.  I'd so much rather they pay him to stay here than see him go get what he's worth somewhere else.  Fingers crossed.

• Like (+1) 1