Poyer and Hyde make less than 10M combined

Hebert19

When do we fix that?  

Hyde has 2 years left after this and poyer 1 but I feel like you get these guys locked up sooner than later as they are heart and soul of this defense.  We have the money now...should do sooner than later if you ask me.   Would like to see these guys here for next 4 years min.

• Like (+1) 3

Well, good thing we have a crap ton of money!

Also, in regards to their age, I'm sure any deal would be front loaded to protect ourselves when Allen, Tre, and Edmunds are due, so cutting them if they start to decline would be easier

• Like (+1) 1

Talk about someone else's trash being our treasure...

I know there were some rumblings from Pack fans about losing Hyde, but man, these guys really blew up together in this scheme. Both really good players, but hopefully they realize what playing in Buffalo under McD has done for their careers, and realize what's still in front of them here that hasn't come to fruition yet. They won't be cheap, but hopefully they want to see it through and give the Bills a bit of a break and stay. 

I mentioned this defense in the same breath as the 2013 Seahawks yesterday. I know most people probably think that's crazy talk, but I truly believe this team has been built very similar, and defensively, the scheme and style are pretty close. It's not quite legion of boom, but getting pretty close IMO, and I'd hate to see it slip away over a few dollars just as it gets to that level. 

The Bills have the money right now. They should be working on extensions before allowing them to hit the market. Get the guaranteed money for them out of the way now, so that there's enough money left in 2-3 years for guys like White, Allen, Edmunds, and other players that may blow up.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Talk about someone else's trash being our treasure...

I know there were some rumblings from Pack fans about losing Hyde, but man, these guys really blew up together in this scheme. Both really good players, but hopefully they realize what playing in Buffalo under McD has done for their careers, and realize what's still in front of them here that hasn't come to fruition yet. They won't be cheap, but hopefully they want to see it through and give the Bills a bit of a break and stay. 

I mentioned this defense in the same breath as the 2013 Seahawks yesterday. I know most people probably think that's crazy talk, but I truly believe this team has been built very similar, and defensively, the scheme and style are pretty close. It's not quite legion of boom, but getting pretty close IMO, and I'd hate to see it slip away over a few dollars just as it gets to that level. 

The Bills have the money right now. They should be working on extensions before allowing them to hit the market. Get the guaranteed money for them out of the way now, so that there's enough money left in 2-3 years for guys like White, Allen, Edmunds, and Oliver.

McDermott really knows how to teach and coach DBs. Frazier and the position coaches get some credit but McD really knows his stuff. The bills get the most out of a lot of guys.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's funny but they were both given money that was probably high for them when they first signed, and almost immediately they both played up to and then over their deals. Plus the whole is bigger than the sum of their parts. They are both really solid.

I absolutely thought we overpaid for Hyde.

Super wrong and happy for it

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Gotta be careful with things like this. They are both approaching 30, safety money skyrocketed with the Landon Collins deal. 

Approaching yes, but both still 28. Reasonable to expect 4 more productive years from them. Nice extensions for both after the season.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McDermott really knows how to teach and coach DBs. Frazier and the position coaches get some credit but McD really knows his stuff. The bills get the most out of a lot of guys.

Yep. That was the main thing I was hanging my hat on when we hired McDermott. Josh Norman blew up in this scheme, then went to Washington and was exposed in a more man-to-man role. 

And to think, we all wanted Mike McCoy at the time...I think we got the right Josh, and I think we got the right Mc

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's funny but they were both given money that was probably high for them when they first signed, and almost immediately they both played up to and then over their deals. Plus the whole is bigger than the sum of their parts. They are both really solid.

Yeah the contracts they received were considered very generous..............especially Poyer who had done almost nothing as a pro.

I don't think people should get too attached to secondary members in this defense............if Josh Norman didn't get paid after he helped McD get to a SB then I'd say don't expect Tre to be getting $20M per or the safeties getting $10M.

25 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Agree.  This is my point.  Sometimes extending early shows commitment and as a result they take the proverbial home town discount. 

Them + this system = great fit.  

When is last time you saw us get beat deep?

Poyer more than likely signs an extension next spring but I don't see Hyde's contract extended next year.

He is making good money and has 2 years left.