R.I.P. Ric Ocasek.......Cars lead singer

B-Man

I played the 1st 2 Cars albums in my car the past couple days for the first time in many, many years. Sad to say I found them very dated, and the some of the filler tracks like I’m In Touch With Your World were unlistenable. They are short CDs, so I added Drive to the end, that’s still their best tune IMO. Also listened to Eddie Money’s greatest hits, and I enjoyed it more, Take Me Home Tonight was by far the best between these 2 acts, also IMO.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On September 17, 2019 at 7:21 PM, Rico said:

I played the 1st 2 Cars albums in my car the past couple days for the first time in many, many years. Sad to say I found them very dated, and the some of the filler tracks like I’m In Touch With Your World were unlistenable. They are short CDs, so I added Drive to the end, that’s still their best tune IMO. Also listened to Eddie Money’s greatest hits, and I enjoyed it more, Take Me Home Tonight was by far the best between these 2 acts, also IMO.

Did they have a song called All Mixed Up or was that someone else? That was a good song but you don't hear it much.

Edited by 4merper4mer

On 9/17/2019 at 7:21 PM, Rico said:

airplane and cars threads at same time, two extremely overrated bands, good mode of transport though 

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

airplane and cars threads at same time, two extremely overrated bands, good mode of transport though 

Overrated according to whom?

I've never heard either band in any, "one of the greatest bands of all time" discussion.  They both made/sold a lot of records.  They were both successful bands whose music people will still be listening to in 50 years.  

I'd consider that quite an accomplishment.

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've never heard either band in any, "one of the greatest bands of all time" discussion.  They both made/sold a lot of records.  They were both successful bands whose music people will still be listening to in 50 years.  

I wouldn’t say they are overrated right now, not at all. Extremely dated, yes. The JA were extremely overrated in the 1960’s though compared to their counterparts like the Dead... while The Cars were extremely overrated compared to the real new wave bands in the late 70’s like the Talking Heads.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/15/2019 at 9:15 PM, I am the egg man said:

Their 1st album was their best. Saw them open for Bob Seger, 3rd row center, in '77 or '78.

Never would have guessed he was born in '49

Marrying Paulina Porizkova might be his biggest badge of honor.

Oh *****.   I just aged 5 years.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

you been reading the hagiographies written for Ocasek and Grace on here?

enough already....

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I wouldn’t say they are overrated right now, not at all. Extremely dated, yes. The JA were extremely overrated in the 1960’s though compared to their counterparts like the Dead... while The Cars were extremely overrated compared to the real new wave bands in the late 70’s like the Talking Heads.

This makes sense.

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you been reading the hagiographies written for Ocasek and Grace on here?

enough already....

LOL, no ... I didn't read any of that crap.  I've never liked Grace.  I do dig the Cars, but I've never put them on any kind of "legendary," level.

20 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Did they have a song called All Mixed Up or was that someone else? That was a good song but you don't hear it much.

That’s the last song on the 1st LP, yeah I would say it’s good. I particularly like Ben Orr on lead vocals & no cheesy synth until the last minute, and very little at that. 

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Sure sounds like abandonment to me.  How does one "come home" to find this?

"It was on Sept. 15, 2019, that the former supermodel came home to the $10 million Gramercy Park townhouse she shared with her husband, Cars singer Ric Ocasek, and found him dead from heart disease and pulmonary emphysema. The 75-year-old rocker had recently undergone surgery, but his passing was still a shock."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sure sounds like abandonment to me.  How does one "come home" to find this?

"It was on Sept. 15, 2019, that the former supermodel came home to the $10 million Gramercy Park townhouse she shared with her husband, Cars singer Ric Ocasek, and found him dead from heart disease and pulmonary emphysema. The 75-year-old rocker had recently undergone surgery, but his passing was still a shock."

I disagree. Even though they were in the process of divorce, she was still coming over every day to look after him.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

I disagree. Even though they were in the process of divorce, she was still coming over every day to look after him.

I don't  know... She sure loves her $10 million dollar house.  How in the world will she survive! 

Maybe it's just me.  But sounds like once the sledding got rough,  she decides to come and go.  How about staying put.   They kept up appearances through the divorce proceedings.  He was probably a jerk, but I'd take his word for it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.