R.I.P. Ric Ocasek.......Cars lead singer

B-Man

3 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Their 1st album was their best. Saw them open for Bob Seger, 3rd row center, in '77 or '78.

This was their first major gig on their first major tour, opening for various bands. They rented an empty storefront on Hertel to rehearse, that week, they worked pretty hard to get the parts down just right. They were just starting to break on radio, it was 41 years ago today.

1_58c45b4dc790e1f7319b26a2b3039091.jpg

RIP

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

RIP Ric 

Image result for the cars albums
It's all I can do 

Man did I love looking at my dads vinyl of this as a little kid!  Now I have it and the self-titled (along with all his other records that survived).  My pops used to always listen to The Cars in the basement working out.  A memory that has, obviously, stuck with me through the years.

Edited by Mark80
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Their 1st album was their best. Saw them open for Bob Seger, 3rd row center, in '77 or '78.

Never would have guessed he was born in '49

Marrying Paulina Porizkova might be his biggest badge of honor.

8 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

no he is 70, wikipedia said 75 and that is what all the media outlets went with...

Do the math...born in 49, he was 70. 

12 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Never would have guessed he was born in '49

9 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

no he is 70, wikipedia said 75 and that is what all the media outlets went with...

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ric Ocasek was 75??   Holy crap I'm getting old.  :death:

Well considering that he has a son (Christopher) who was born in 1964, the 1944 birth date (and age 75) seems more likely.

14 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

He must have been 35 or so when the Cars hit the big time.  I didn’t realize he was that old. RIP.

lots didn't hit their mark until later, fun to read bios of some in groups through the 60s before fame in the late 70s and 80s

11 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

This was their first major gig on their first major tour, opening for various bands. They rented an empty storefront on Hertel to rehearse, that week, they worked pretty hard to get the parts down just right. They were just starting to break on radio, it was 41 years ago today.

1_58c45b4dc790e1f7319b26a2b3039091.jpg

RIP

We kept tailgating instead of coming in to see The Cars.  Always regretted that, although the word was always that they didn't translate very well live for some reason.....................That Seger show was soooooooo good!! 

3 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Well considering that he has a son (Christopher) who was born in 1964, the 1944 birth date (and age 75) seems more likely.

Weird. Allmusic.com has his birth date as 3/23/49. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/ric-ocasek-mn0000889097/biography
Wiki has it as 3/23/44 and has him graduating from Maple Heights HS in 1963 which would mean 75 is more likely. However, if you go to Maple Heights HS Wiki page it shows him as a notable alumni and a 1968 graduate, making 70 more likely.

"Ric Ocasek – lead singer of The Cars, a 1968 graduate..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_Heights_High_School

9 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

Ric Ocasek admitted that Ben Orr had the better singing voice and that he would have Ben sing lead on songs that he felt needed a really good singer. "Drive" is the perfect example.

He's right.  Or was right.  Sadly both are gone (Orr for awhile now).

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

R.I.P.

My favorite Cars song.  Love Elliot Easton going off towards the end there.

9 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

Ric Ocasek admitted that Ben Orr had the better singing voice and that he would have Ben sing lead on songs that he felt needed a really good singer. "Drive" is the perfect example.

It was really funny when he gave his speech at the Rock Hall last year, and said something like after the first tour we decided to switch things up.  Now I would write the songs, and Ben would be the good looking guy.

This thread needs some Paulina 

ric_ocasek_with_his_wife_paulina_porizko

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.