Josh Allen - week TWO report card

rayray808

I still think Allen is several years away from finding his proper level in this league. As a raw prospect he is still an unfinished project, you can see it from time to time - the Brown overthrow comes to mind. But he is also a winning NFL QB as a starter, here in his 13th start. There's guys in the HOF that came from school as "pro-ready" and immediately went 14 games under .500 in their first year. You can credit Allen or Beane or McD or Palmer or Dorsey or any combination of them. We're getting an idea now that Allen's floor is a lot higher than we thought it was, but I don't think any of us know what the ceiling is, except that it's still years away. I was prepared to eat some bad seasons while he developed, hoping he'd reach 90-95% of his potential by, say, 2022. Either the results right now are very fortunate and spoiling us all, or the ceiling - like the floor - was just that much higher than we thought.

Edited by Ralonzo
grammar trouble

43 minutes ago, skibum said:

I can't give him better than a B until he starts hitting guys in stride. He is still mostly putting the ball in places where guys have to adjust awkwardly, and have no shot at running anywhere after the catch. If he ever gets that dialed in, he will become a Hall of Famer. 

He's improved noticeably in that department. Still work to do.

5 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I still think Allen is several years away from finding his proper level in this league. As a raw prospect he is still an unfinished project, you can see it from time to time - the Brown overthrow comes to mind. But he is also a winning NFL QB as a starter, here in his 13th start. There's guys in the HOF that came from school as "pro-ready" and immediately went 14 games under .500 in their first year. You can credit Allen or Beane or McD or Palmer or Dorsey or any combination of them. We're getting an idea now that Allen's floor is a lot higher than we thought it was, but I don't think any of us know what the ceiling is, except that it's still years away. I was prepared to eat some bad seasons while he developed, hoping he'd reach 90-95% of his potential by, say, 2022. Either the results right now are very fortunate and spoiling us all, or the ceiling - like the floor - was just that much higher than we thought.

I think if you watch any game that Brady or Mahomes plays, and they have 30-35 passes, they have 3-5 poor passes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

A- 

I thought his best game as a pro. 

Absolutely. Watching him develop is so much fun. From where he started last year to now is incredible. It literally seems like every single game is his new "best game as a pro". Starting with week 17 last year against the fish, to the Jets game last week, to the Giants this week. I truly had a moment today where I literally said out loud, "the search is over." 

that completion to Knox, while rolling to his right, chased by a defender, was just sensational.

This season, and many more to come, are going to be a heck of a ride. It just feels different now. 3rd and 10? Ok. no big deal. Josh is going to pick it up. It's been a looooooooooong time since I've felt that about a Bills offense.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I thought he deserved an A. Some of the stuff he did today was Russell Wilson-esk. That play in the first q where he deeked out the rusher and then made an impossible throw on a dead run to Knox was jaw dropping. He had a few plays like that today. The big thing though was finishing off drives with TDs.    

Most of the incompletions were throwaways (and the correct decision) so anyone whining about completion percentage is missing the point. He still had some issues with accuracy though that seems to come with the territory with him. The strip sack that should have been is worrisome given his history with ball protection but he caught a break on it today with a dumb call. Overall, Allen's performance was very confidence inspiring.   

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the Giants came out late in the 2nd quarter and then after halftime with a lot more exotic pressures and confusing looks on D— and that’s what caused JA’s play to plummet. Seemed to be confused and holding onto the ball a lot more. 

i liked his game today, but he is still young and he will need to figure out how to counteract the halftime adjustments that D’s make. 

2 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK ONE: B-

WEEK TWO: B

19/30 - 253 yards - TD - 21 yards rushing - rushing TD - 63% completion rate

A tale of two halves for me, and it could be play calling... but I think I liked what I saw today. His ability to assess the gambles better are beginning to show: throwing at guys feet when the screen isnʻt there vs throwing the ball out of bounds vs chucking the ball to someone open to complete the first down.

1st half: I loved that the Giants came down and scored right away. It allowed Josh to enter a game knowing that he needed to get momentum back, and that he did. He ended the half with 200+ yards passing and I was so excited to see them come out of the half and just deliver the knockout punch. Well...

2nd half: I blame the majority on play calling but jeez that was a let down. Still though, Allen did what needed to be done and made the throws necessary to seal the deal.

It wasn't sexy, or the "fantasy football" QB1 game for the ages, but he did better than last week... and most importantly got us 2 road wins to start the season.

FUN FACT OF THE WEEK: Josh Allen is now tied with Sam Darnold for wins at Metlife Stadium.

GO BILLS 

which means we are at 35 games at no 300 yd passer.

But i will take the win every time.